Muscle Strains

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Muscle Strains

Postby *Lisa* » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:00 pm

Just wanting to know how many of you fibro peeps suffer from frequant muscle strains from doing little at all :?: and where :?:

I have been straining muscles for many many years now at least one every 3-4 months a muscle strains some where. My neck, lower back and sometimes thoratic spine added to that jaw lock and spasms :woot: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The latest one being today straining the sacroiliac joint. So again im on diazapam, morphine, anti-inflamms and am bed bound :sick:

These are all caused by severe muscle stiffness. With the one today, all it was , was sitting in the same position for too long! Iv had strains from bending, coughing, sneezing, twisting, turning over in bed! :shock:

There maybe an underlying problem which is currently under investigations and waiting on MRI results which is why im asking if any fibro's have the same :crazy:
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Re: Muscle Strains

Postby kitten » Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:09 pm

Hi Lisa
I have a muscle at the bottom of the left hand side of my stomach and if I overstretch or cough a lot it will go into a spasm and boy does it, hurt it :yikes: will take a couple of minutes before it relax it self :yikes: it seems to stay ok for a while then will have a run of doing it , did mention this once to a nurse . when I had to have a pre med before I had the T V T op done she had no idea what was causing it :roll: and that was roughly 4 years ago and as I mentioned it still plague's me

Hope you get a result soon Lisa
kitten
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:46 pm

Usually my neck/upper shoulders, and sometimes it gets so bad that my neck seems to 'lock' into place and moving it feels like I'm opening a rusty gate :crazy: Tbh it comes and goes so often that I just try to keep moving it, even if I'm watching tv, and use TENS on it every day.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby SchroedingersCat » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:22 am

How do you tell the difference between a genuine muscle strain and the usual fibro ouches? I really struggle, and since I've just started running again, this could be imprtant! :roll:
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:42 pm

SchroedingersCat wrote:How do you tell the difference between a genuine muscle strain and the usual fibro ouches?

Theres a huge difference. A muscle strain is when you rip or tear the muscle resulting in injury and in my case a stint in bed unable to move at all!

People mainly get the odd strain when doing hefty lifting or over doing exercises... me ? well i dont have to do anything :roll: just sitting in one position for too long sets mine off :-?

The muscles surrounding the strain end up in spasm so its diazapam to relax the spasms, anti-inflamms to reduce the swelling and morphine added with codiene for the pain as its pain on top of pain! :roll:

I suppose for me its the type of dibilitation and pain thats comes with a slipped disc.

You will know if you get a muscle strain as you'll feel the muscle POP then your stuck! if your neck goes you cannot move it at all and in me my neck stays leaning to one side as i cannot move it

When my back goes it makes me slanted to one side and i cannot straighten my back and im bent over in agony stuck in that position

Takes me sometime up to 3 weeks to heel from a strain :shock:
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby UnderSiege » Thu May 28, 2015 9:42 am

Hi.

The question I'm always asking myself is: Is it a muscle strain or is it fibro?

Here's an example: Back when I was still married (only just) 9 years ago and about the time what I now know to be fibro started I developed this muscle strain right under my right shoulder blade. My marriage was on the way out and very stressful and this pain, over the course of 8 weeks got worse and worse and more constant (to the point of tears and much reduced sleep) that I thought "what if it's cancer" (I, rather stupidly, was a smoker back then btw)
So, the GP sent me to the hospital for x-rays and... nothing. By the time the marriage was being declared dead 3 months later it had mostly righted itself.
The same kind of thing happened last year (though by now the condition of my chronic illness(es) was much worse) this time on the left side under the shoulder blade and covering a wider area. This one has been going on about a year now and (I imagine) it feels like someone getting a large fork, stabbing it into all those juicy muscles and giving it a good hard twist. I only have to mis-step slightly and POW! massive cramp up (I also get the crampy locking up thing lower down too) I have nights when it just won't let up and most mornings I wake up going "Ooooww!"
I also had Costochondritis (said to hurt as much as a heart attack) for the last quarter of last year at about the same time and that IS a bummer!

So, that question: Is it fibro or 'just' a muscle strain? Can anyone tell the difference? After all, they both hurt.
UnderSiege
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems