Hiatal Hernia

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Hiatal Hernia

Postby SopsIsTops88 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:15 pm

Hi there everybody,

Hope you're all having a good Sunday?

I just wanted to ask if anyone else here has been diagnosed with a Hiatal/Hiatus hernia? I've just found out that I have one after a Gastroscopy :shock: What can you do to manage the symptoms?

Any advice would be a great help!

Thanks,

Sophie
SopsIsTops88
UKFM Member

Re: Hiatal Hernia

Postby *Lisa* » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:28 pm

Yep I have one of these which was found out by the same examination.

I cut down on caffiene which was one of the main things causing symptoms so i have de-caf coffee.

Heres what i found to help :

A number of self-care techniques may help relieve symptoms of GORD caused by a hiatus hernia. These include:

eating smaller, more frequent meals rather than three large meals a day
avoiding lying down (including going to bed) for at least three hours after eating or drinking
avoiding drinking during the night
removing certain foods from your diet if you think they make your symptoms worse
avoiding alcohol, caffeine, chocolate, tomatoes, fatty foods, spicy foods and acidic food or drinks (such as citrus fruit juice) if they make your symptoms worse
avoiding bending over or stooping, especially after eating or drinking
raising the head of your bed by around 20cm (8 inches) by placing a piece of wood or blocks under it – do not use extra pillows because this may increase pressure on your abdomen

I take Omoprazole and Renitidine
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems