heartburn

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

heartburn

Postby debs67 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:58 pm

Got bad heartburn , so bad it is making me be sick. Anybody else suffers like this.
debs67
UKFM Member

Re: heartburn

Postby Ali170 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:42 pm

Hi love,

yes, suffered for years, also food getting stuck and pain in my oesophagus , had a barium swallow test and I have acid reflux, so I take Zantac once or twice a day. See your GP as it should always be checked out if it's severe.

In the meantime buy some Gaviscon , it should help,

Take care xxx
Ali170
UKFM Member

Postby major64 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:46 pm

See your GP for lanzoprazole. It worked for me
major64
UKFM Member

Postby Queenie_70 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:55 pm

I had a 24 hour telemetry ( a tube down my throat into my stomach), which shows I have GERD. (I too had the Barium swallow study which confirmed diagnosis). I was put on some prescription junk, and when I looked at the mass of meds I was on I decided I could live without that. I try not to eat anything that will create a worse effect, tomato juice/pizza sauce, acidic fruits, and greasy food. Rennies work well on a bad day, but I sleep almost upright as my esophageal muscles are so weak from fibro, my food, drink and meds will trickle back up and choke me in my sleep through aspirating, and so the heartburn turns into a coughing up my lungs fest!!!!

Talk to you GP, it is always the best thing, but don't expect miracles, and see if lifestyle changes help.

Good Luck!

xxx
"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
Queenie_70
UKFM Member

Postby Lucylastik » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:29 pm

Weirdly, this is another of those symptoms I always thought were unrelated but having found this site, realise that all those symptoms add up to F-I-B-R-O.

I'd been having bad heartburn/reflux for years and must have spent a fortune taking tablets for it. I found Boots did the best one for me, http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Heartburn-Relief-Tablets-24_846166/ and cheaper than Zantac etc which didn't work as well.

Then to make matters worse, I was prescribed Naproxen for the joint and muscle pain and my heartburn increased! Apparently it's a side effect of the Naproxen.. so I told my GP and he gave me Omeprazole which works like a miracle.

No more heartburn.

Go to your GP, especially if, like me, you get free prescriptions for other meds. I must have doubled the share price in Boots over the years.
Bet they are missing me now tho :)
“You can't just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood.
What mood is that?
Last-minute panic.”

― Calvin & Hobbes.
Lucylastik
UKFM Member

Postby Patsb » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:59 pm

I've suffered terrible heartburn since being diagnosed with fibro.the weight gain due to meds I take doesn't help either ( I look 6 months pregnant!) lansoprazole is useless. I just put up with it till it passes.
Patsb
UKFM Member

Postby debs67 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:35 pm

Thanks for the replys going to ask the gp what she can do for me
debs67
UKFM Member

Postby rubes » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:46 pm

Omeprazole for me too works great just the 1 .
rubes
UKFM Member

Postby kitten » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:06 pm

I went through a stage of everything I eat or drank , dry cough, that made me heave ,full of wind that seems to bubble all round the body had a discharge, no matter what I took Gaviscon rennie etc had no effect at all , in the end went to the DR and he gave me Lansoprazole 30 mg one a day . and I can honestly say for the for the last 3 weeks I have had no symptoms at all of anything .have to take them for an other week leave them and if the symptoms come back then it will be a camera down the throat to see just what is causing it all , as both of my sister's have hiatus hernia so he is of the opinion that it could be that
kitten
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems