sensitive Skin

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

sensitive Skin

Postby kitten » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:54 pm

Have been having a spell of really bad headache . can't take paracetamol they actually give me a headache can't take anti -inflammatory so I called in to the chemist to see if they could recommend anything with out paracetamol and not anti- inflammatory ones ," bit tricky this as most have the headache tablets have one or the other in ", after a thought she came up with 4 head it's a cutaneous stick with levomenthol (90%) , well after just a few seconds of rubbing this along my forehead , it felt like it was on fire when I got home went straight in to the bathroom to swill It off it was so painful didn't seem to cool it down at all, seem to go worse at first, it did eventually .cool down

So any one who has sensitive skin this is not a remedy for headache ,

Had a appointment at the DR yesterday so I mentioned this and if he could come up with anything , sorry there really nothing I can give you as you seem to have bad reaction to what I can give you only Codeine which seems the only one you can tolerate , but to many of them in the day makes me sleepy

So it's back to catch 22 !!!!!!!!
kitten
UKFM Member

Re: sensitive Skin

Postby Gracious » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:28 am

I'm assuming your doctor took a blood pressure reading to rule that out as a possible issue, as high or low blood pressure can cause headaches.

Being sensitive to chemicals/medications means its all the more important that you look at possible triggers of your headaches, be that food, alcohol, caffine, medications, light, sound, smells, etc and dont forget the physical ones too. I spent a year compiling my own list of triggers for various symptoms I get, from rashes, headaches (Migraines), spasms, skin burning, bloating etc. This has helped reduce the amount of episodes I used to have. Its quite impossible to completely prevent all symptoms, fibro is ever fluctuating, but its good to feel I have some say in managing the number of episodes.

Once you know your chemically sensitive you need to start weigh up the pros and cons. For example, I get horrible headaches that turn into migraines, paracetomol and Ibuprofen are the main go to's for pain, as my neurologist will not allow any opiod type medication. All are a complete waste of time. We found Rizatriptan for stopping onset of migraines helps me, but there is a price with side effects as it triggers a nettle rash, swelling, water retention, IBS and skin/body burn. But I am happy to accept that discomfort to prevent the migraine episode, which can last 7-10 days and leave me fatigued for a further 2 weeks. whereas the side effects from the drug only last just 24hrs. Sometimes with fibro sensitivties you have to weigh up the benefits against the side effects and come to a decision what works best. This compromise works best for me, having tried so many different drugs in the past with terrible results/effects.

Other things to consider when pain medication just is not agreeing with you, is relaxation techniques to help with tension and stress to reduce and prevent it from contributing to your headache. Keep yourself well rehydrated, its amazing how effective a big glass of water can be, when a headache starts. Watch your sugar to, too much in one go and it can contribute to causing a headaches.

Another none chemical options would be Accupunture, works for some, not all. Massage, specifically shoulders and neck.

There is a cheap pain relief option I was recommended by my physio, and thats to get a basin with iced water and soak a towel in it, rinse off and place around the back of the head, neck and shoulders, to numb the nerves, and a soaked face cloth on the front forehead and eyes if thats where the pain is too. It seems to settle things down enough to rest which tends to help release the tension building up. It may only be temporary but its better than no relief. I used a cold pack for my forehead and eyes, but found the soaked cold towel draped over the back of my head, neck and shoulders like a cape helped me as it covered a large area and prevented the nerves firing off even more, giving me a chance to settle things down.

There are loads of ways to tackle headache pain, but finding the triggers really helps to reduce the amount you experience and will be necessary if you're so chemically sensitive. Once you are armed with this you can then look at the various alternative methods to relief pain that have minimal side effects, that your are willing to accept for some relief. Its a compromise but its a proactive approach to an annoying symptom.

Hope this is of some help, and I am sure other members on this forum will have some possible options to help you too.

With loving kindness
Gracious
Gracious
UKFM Member

Postby kitten » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:53 am

Hi Gracious

Thank you so very much for all that information that was so kind of you

. I do have a blood pressure monitor at home and do take it from time to time and its always been ok ,so that is not the cause of the headaches

I have severe O/A in my hands and neck so one train of thought is I now wonder if the O/A in the top of my spine is the cause of my headache's but don't think that will have any thing to do with having such sensitive skin

Thinking back to when I was little I could never eat strawberries or bananas cheese, cream and even to this day I can't eat them . but as the years go on I seem to have a bad reaction to a lot of things ' as you stated it's trying to find just what triggers things off

Have now been put on Lansoprzale regularly for heartburn, there again what can I eat that does not cause it !!!!
everything seems like trial and error !!
kitten
UKFM Member

Postby Gracious » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:42 pm

Kitten, you may not be able to completely prevent symptoms to chemical sensitivities or the headaches, but just being able to reduce them through informed knowledge from observation can make a big difference. It gives you a sense that you are in the driving seat, which is something we dont always feel dealing with fibro.

If your O/A is in your neck I would strongly recommend purchasing a neck support pillow, shown below, if you've not already got one. I found these pillows reduced the number of headaches. There also great for relieving neck spasms and strains. Recommended them to my mum and it made a dramatic dfference to the number of spasm attacks and helped speed up recover too.

memory foam pillow.jpg.png
memory foam pillow.jpg.png (186.08 KiB) Viewed 2750 times

With loving kindness
Gracious
Gracious
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems