is it my thyroid or not?

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

is it my thyroid or not?

Postby Beowulf1976 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:55 pm

Hi there everyone, sorry to disturb you all again, but I need some advice I guess.

How do you know if you have a problem with your thyroid?

Since I became mega ill (I've been "ill" ill for years before this) in December 2006 I have rocketed in weight from 10stone (which was considered overweight as I'm only a mere 5'1" tall.. this puts me in a size 12 depending on the fit) anyway, I've rocketed up to 15 1/2 stone (not now I managed to lose 1 stone in about 4 months) and I wasn't exactly pigging out regularly I was still eating what I was eating before I got ill, only difference was I'd gone from having a couple of active walks in a week to doing NO exercise what so ever.

So, is it possible to gain 5 1/2 stone just by sitting on one's butt, was it the steroids and now pregabalin (Lyrica) that I'm on, or is it possible that I have a problem?

I'm practically starving myself now to lose the weight to get back down to a decent size and I just cannot budge any more, I'm still a heffer in my eyes :cry:

Can anyone please advise whether you think it is a thyroid problem or not, you are more than welcome to be brutally honest with me, I won't be scared of the truth, even if it's because I'm a fat heffer who likes too many treats ;)
"That is not my Cow!"....."Where is my Cow?!"

I am me, plain and simple in more than one sense of the words! ;)
Beowulf1976
UKFM Member

Postby gillshutt » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:48 pm

I would ask your doc for a thyroid test.

Gill x
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Postby LinzWorld » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:51 pm

You should have been tested, but as someone who gained 3 1/2 stone from less exercise and meds, it could just be that.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Postby smoky » Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:45 pm

as a thyroid sufferer of 15 stone myself :cry: I think you need to really consider all of the possible symptoms;
they is a good list on the british thyroid assoc website, but here are a few to be going on with

weight gain
dry skin
loss of hair; particularly visible on the outside half of eyebrows
dry puffy eyes
voice dropping to lower level
achy joints
extreme sleepiness ( unable to stay awake type)
extreme mood swings

some of the symptoms overlap those of Fibro but unlike fibro all can be proven with a simple blood test.
I suggest you visit your doctor for a test
smoky
UKFM Member

thyroid

Postby princess » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:51 pm

sorry cant help my Thyroid was tested and im a ok

But my daughter in law takes medication for a slow Thyroid, she gets very very tired and puts on weight and feels so ill when its needing medication upped.
Id check with your Dr and get him to test you.
princess
princess
UKFM Regular

Postby Min » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:16 pm

Both Lyrica and steroids cause weight gain.
Donate for free to fibro & M.E. charities by using by using Everyclick as your search engine
Min
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems