Anyone with fybro have sleep apnoea too?

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Anyone with fybro have sleep apnoea too?

Postby MissMouse » Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:19 pm

Just been told I have sleep apnoea along with the fybro.....just something else to go wrong!

Has anyone else got this? If so has the treatment helped your sleep problems??
MissMouse
UKFM Member

Re: Anyone with fybro have sleep apnoea too?

Postby Queenie_70 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:36 pm

Miss Mouse,

I too have sleep apnea, and was treated with a C-Pap machine. I used it for about three months and went in for a follow up, went home and two days later the machine overheated, melted my bedding, and shut off so I woke up with a mask over my face and no air being forced through. I took it to the sleep center and because they couldn't find an issue with the machine they dismissed my story as just that!!

I quit the clinic against my doctors advice because I was not going to be called a liar.

I have discussed this with my new doctor and she has put in another referral, so I hope this one goes better. The actual condition though, I have had since I can remember. My first boyfriend years ago told me I stopped breathing in my sleep, I was also timed, and I move every two minutes in my sleep, so as you can guess it is not restful. My sleep study showed my oxygen levels dropped into the low 80's, and the machine I was connected to showed that I stopped breathing over 800 times in 5 hours of study time.....non long enough to be a problem within itself, but together mean I don't get the sleep I need because my body is constantly rousing me due to not breathing.

I hope this makes some sort of sense.....try the C-Pap, it might be the answer for you.

xx
"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
Queenie_70
UKFM Member

Postby MissMouse » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:50 pm

Thanks for your reply Queenie!
Sounds very frightening. 800 times seems an awful lot. I will be going next month for my instruction on using the machine. Scares the hell out of me though. Im a little claustrophobic so will have to see how i get on with it!!!

Hope they sort out the machine for you :-)
MissMouse
UKFM Member

Postby Queenie_70 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:51 am

Hi again,

I thought that I would have real trouble with the machine being over my face also, but it actually isn't as scary as you think it is going to be. The fact that it just blows/forces air into your mouth and nose made me wonder if I would ever sleep with it on, but I did! I do like to sleep on my belly though, and I couldn't with the machine, but otherwise I think it did make a difference in general.

Good luck, don't be afraid, think of it as a healing process because if it works for you, correcting bad sleep patterns will make you feel so much better.

xxx
"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
Queenie_70
UKFM Member

Postby MissMouse » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:01 pm

Queenie thanks for yiur very encouraging message!
I like go sleep on my front too and did wonder if I wouldn't be able to. Well, I shall try it and see :-))
MissMouse
UKFM Member

Re: has anyone with sleep apnea had an adverse affect

Postby lizzybrazil » Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:28 am

i have had fibro for over 10 years and recently diagnosed with mild sleep apnea. i have used the cpap machine for a few weeks now got on with it really well but the awful problem i have is that i am sleeping too long !!!!! resulting in extreme pain all over taking 3 hrs to get up and dressed. it is horrendous, i contacted my sleep apnea nurse who had never heard of this problem,
when i have a really bad nights sleep, getting up and down 3/4 times a night, i actually feel better, than when i slept 6 hours with the machine. can anyone help please
lizzybrazil
UKFM Newbie

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems