Agoraphobia

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Agoraphobia

Postby Mandae » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:10 pm

Hi all, I had a phone consultation with a phycopherapist the other day, and after I had explained when I get anxiety attacks and I had answered a few questions. She said it sounds like I have agoraphobia (feer of being out of the house or being in public alone).

I have never realy thought about it before, but she is right. I do go out but never alone and not for long unless at work, even then I don't want to be there. She said it could be caused by having fibro. My question is does anyone else have it?
Mandae
UKFM Member

Re: Agoraphobia

Postby Queenie_70 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:45 am

Hi Mandae,

I did have it really bad before my break down. I didn't leave the house for nearly two years because I would hyperventilate even at the grocery store. I also got sweaty, clammy, and very dizzy, so I just stopped doing anything that involved leaving the house. It did get better with treatment, but my depression was the cause, not my fibro.

I still, to this day, occasionally feel like I do not want to leave the house and find excuses to stay in and do things in and around my home. I prefer to not mingle, I am someone who tends to want to talk to others, but at the same time, I shy away from it.

I hope that you get the help that you need so this does not become a major issue.

xx
"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
Queenie_70
UKFM Member

Re: Agoraphobia

Postby Mandae » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:35 am

Hi queenie

Thank you for your reply. I had never thought about it , for the last year or so it was just the way I am. I did not think it was unusual I just wanted to be at home. And I would not go anywhere that was more than 10 min drive from home, but did not think much of it. I was a bit shocked when she said it too me, so looked it up on the internet and it hit my like a brick.

I start group therapy next week, then CBT in a couple of weeks. So hopefully it will get sorted

Mandae
Mandae
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems