Visual Disturbances - anyone else???

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Visual Disturbances - anyone else???

Postby nessie » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:44 am

Hello! I've been ill for 2 years and 10 months and have finally been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia last month! However I'm a bit confused!! My first and worst symptoms relate to my eyes, i.e. blurred and "wobbly" vision, visual disturbances and pain. I also suffer with headaches, dizziness and balance problems. In addition I do have the aching and painful body and extreme fatigue. I haven't been able to work since this started. And, as I have also seen in other posts, my "good" days mean I only feel really rubbish; as opposed to a bad day when I "just want to give up....."

Is there anyone else out there who has these eye problems? And any tips on coping! I keep going, no choice as I have a nearly four year old, but some days I just want to lie down all day, is this "normal"?

Thank you for "listening", I'm sorry for going on!! :oops:
Ness :)
You've just got to keep laughing, otherwise...
nessie
UKFM Newbie

Postby LinzWorld » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:16 pm

What does your doctor think? Fibro can cause eye fatigue but it can also cause migraines which can cause a lot fo vision issues.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Postby nessie » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:06 pm

Thanks for your reply. My GP seemed to be fairly ok with the diagnosis. I was diagnosed by the Rheumatology Dept., who focused more on the other symptoms. As my eye/vision problems were my primary symptom, I kept complaining that no one was looking lower than my neck for the cause.... however now I have the fibro diagnosis I'm confused :? Although it does seem to fit most of my symptoms. Which is why I think my GP was a bit "um yes, um that does seem to make sense."
I was just wondering if anyone else suffered with their eyes/vision/head more than any other of our wonderfully numerous symptoms!!
nessie
UKFM Newbie

Postby Corinne » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:25 pm

I'm a member of a few of these forums now & I have heard several people mentioning alot of these sort of eye problems so its certainly not unusual.

I generally have flickering sensations & floaters, often twitches & sharp stabbing pains & I often have trouble regaining focus after closing my eyes, even after a blink if I'm very tired! My night vision comes & goes & I percieve colours slightly differently out of each eye.
In general though, most of these symptoms are all shortlived for me personally so they dont bother me too much, others I am just used to now.

I think most of us have a particular area that causes us most problems & all the other symptoms are slightly less important to THEM personally at the time, its one of the annoying things about FM that we can have such randomly different symptoms at different times & it all be part of the same condition! We all seem to have similar problems, just to varying degrees!

Hopefully now you have some kind of diagnosis you may be able to minimise the problem & get help with the other symptoms too.

Best of luck & I hope you get plenty of good help & advice here,

Corinne x
Corinne
UKFM Member

Postby nessie » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:24 pm

Thanks for your reply, it's reassuring to know.

I have been told that there is no more medical treatment needed as the medication I'm on is it! So although I've received a much needed diagnosis, "all that can be done is being done". So I don't know where I go from here.
Will it ever improve enough for me to be able to work? I know there is no cure, and managing symptoms is the aim. But I don't know how....

Unfortunately having vision problems (all the time!) means that this (i.e. using the computer) is really hard and I know I'll be suffering for it even more later. But the help, support and reassurance makes it worthwhile.

Many thanks :)
nessie
UKFM Newbie

Postby LinzWorld » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:25 pm

nessie wrote: I have been told that there is no more medical treatment needed as the medication I'm on is it! So although I've received a much needed diagnosis, "all that can be done is being done".

That is unlikely to be true. :?
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Postby sparkey » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:20 pm

i often get eye problems from the center vision being like a heat haze and blued to night vision going haywire, at my last eye check the Doc said that as i have ME/fibro he carnt treat it, because the symptoms change
so often.
sparkey
UKFM Member

Postby luuluu » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:44 pm

I suffer blurred vision and visual disturbance usually prior to a migraine. Also, in the last 2 years I have had to have my prescription for my driving glasses changed 3 times as my eyes got worse so quickly.

Take Care

luuluu
xxxxx
what other people think of me is really none of my business
luuluu
UKFM Member

Postby MCT » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:15 pm

I usually find my vision rather blurry first thing in the morning (and any other time when I've just woken up - which seems rather a lot these days).

I also often get the impression that I've "lost" peripheral vision in my left eye but if I blink a few times it comes back again and I've noticed if I leave lights off at night so as not to disturb folks, my night vision isn't too good these days.

Had my eyes tested less than 6 months ago but have been feeling recently that my prescription may have changed already.

Oh the joys of FM never cease to amaze me! :roll:
MCT
UKFM Member

vision

Postby anne1206 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:51 pm

I find the same as you MCT first thing in the morning I cannot even see the clock takes a good twenty minutes for my eyes to clear :( just another thing to get used to I suppose but oh so sick of it :cry:
durate et vosmet rebus servate secundis///>Carry on and preserve yourselves for better times
anne1206
UKFM Member

Postby suep » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:59 pm

MCT and anne 1206, do you take Amitriptiline ? only from what I can remember this blurred vision when you wake up can be a side effect of taking it. I get it too. I wonder sometimes how many of our symptoms are actually med side effects ?
sue
suep
UKFM Member

Postby anne1206 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:04 pm

stopped the ami 6 weeks ago started on gabapentin last week, but blurred vision in morning was with me before taking either of these medications. :roll: stopped ami because of other side effects, asif we dont have enough to put up with. :roll:
durate et vosmet rebus servate secundis///>Carry on and preserve yourselves for better times
anne1206
UKFM Member

Postby MCT » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:13 pm

No ami for me - horrible stuff!!!!

I'm on Citalopram, Co-Codamol 30/500, Lodine, (also Diazepam but only if muscle spasms in my neck are really bad), lisinopril (for HBP) and lamotrigene (for epilepsy)

Must check the side effects - maybe that some taken in combo may aggrevate eye symptoms.
MCT
UKFM Member

eyes

Postby princess » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:23 pm

sometimes feel a bit like being in a haze - Optition says its because your eye muscles like all the other body muscles tire, therefore you get not perfect sight off and on.
But if in doubt then ask Dr or Optition
Princess
princess
UKFM Regular

Postby AllyD » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:22 pm

This may or may not be a silly question but..... have you seen an optician? if thats how u spell it. Might be an idea if you havent.

You are deffo not alone, i just want to lay down and get a decent nights kip i get so depressed and angry with myself for being like this.

Gentle hugs
Ally
Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.

perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim
AllyD
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems