recurring kidney/water infections any one

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

recurring kidney/water infections any one

Postby sammi » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:28 pm

hi all. I was just wondering if any of you out there have kidney or water infections. has i am now probably on my tenth one this year. i would appreicate if any one could tell me if they have these due to fms. they seem to be getting more painful each one i have. thanks take care sammi :)
sammi
UKFM Member

Postby melFIBRO » Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:44 pm

hi there

a big YES to that one - when my fibro is 'out of control' i get them about once a month - if the fibro is good ,then i dont get water infections at all !

have you been to GP about them?

i ask, as some people dont bother and just 'treat themselves at home' ??

SILLY as water infections can cause really bad 'scaring' which can lead to all sorts of problems when you get older.

A water infection (happening often) is also a sign that the immune system is not working as it should - i think you should ask your GP for some bloods to be done - and lastly taking vitamin C and Garic capsules will BOOST your immune system,

all the best mel xx
I wish you WELL xx
melFIBRO
UKFM Newbie

Postby Strawberry » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:08 am

A very big yup for me. UTI's i get about 4 to 8 infections a year and can never work out why as i drink plenty of water as i do get very bunged up with the codeine i am on.

The last one i had it never really gave me problems till i was admitted into hospital as it had spread to my kidneys,was vry ill and not good at all :cry:
Strawberry
UKFM Member

Postby Min » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:34 am

Have you had these confirmed as infections? Many of us with fibromyalgia have a chronic condition called interstitial cystitis (I do). The COB board is very helpful for bacterial cystitis, interstitial cystitis and overactive bladder.

http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/mb/cobf
Donate for free to fibro & M.E. charities by using by using Everyclick as your search engine
Min
UKFM Member

Postby suep » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:30 pm

I have had so much trouble with my bladder over the last 3 years, I now see a Urologist and it looks like I have interstitial cystitis. When it flares up it feels like a really bad infection, but nothing ever shows up in the doctors tests. I have found the cob website that Min mentions a huge help, especially following the diet which cuts out all acidic food ( cranberry juice is a big no no ) Im still having flares every 2 weeks, my life revolves around them really but Im learning how to cope with it like I have with Fibro.
The address for COB is www.cobfoundation.org, they are for all bladder conditions and so helpful. Also keep going back to your doctor and see if you can be referred to a Uro
There is help out there
sue
suep
UKFM Member

Postby sammi » Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:33 pm

thank you all for your replies.

Yes the kidney/water are infections and i always end up on a two week couse of antibiotics. but i always have to get them treated by the docs as the pain is quadrupled at the bottom of my back when i get one of these.
/ but thanx for the cob wed address i will check that out. thanx all :D
sammi
UKFM Member

cranberry

Postby princess » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:44 pm

I used to have a lot of UTI's when younger, but not really bothered with them, but just a little note of warning.
Cranberry is good when you have one, stops the sting - but beware too much and it makes you worse.

I was given advice by an elderly Dr - and this is what i do - take glass of orange juice + a teaspoon of Bicarb of Soda - mix with a little water and it will foam up so dont drink till it calms down.

you can do this for a few days and it helped me - but if it is still there then the Dr is the way to go
princess
UKFM Regular

Postby sammi » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:04 pm

thank you Princess

I will try that the next time i get one. they really knock me off my feet when i get them which is about once a month at the mo. I always drink cranberry juice but i didnt relise too much can make it worse. thanx again for the advice princess. take care sammi :)
sammi
UKFM Member

Postby GeminiGirl » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:56 pm

you might already know this but you shouldnt drink cranberry juice that you get in cartons in the supermarket as it contains too much sugar and may make things worse. its better to get pure cranberry juice from a healthstore that you then add to water - and by doing it this way it actually works out cheaper as you only use a little bit at a time.

I also have interstitial cystitis - my gp kept telling me i had kidney infections and putting me on anti-biotics. I was getting very tird of this and insisted she sent me to an urologist. She said she didnt know of any so i found one myself and he diagnosed me with interstitial. I had a bladder distension last year but it only provided relief for a few weeks so now I am on Vesicare once a day and i find that helps to manage the symptoms. One of the worse things [apart from the pain obviously] is that I have to go to the toilet just before i go to bed and after 10 mins i have to go again, this often continues until i get to sleep which often takes a long time. Sometimes I get annoyed by ppl saying i've cycstitis and making jokes about it being the honeymoon disease and trying to explain to them that its inflammation of the bladder lining and not an infection is a waste of time.
GeminiGirl
UKFM Member

infections

Postby princess » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:49 pm

As for the Bicarb in orange juice, i have done this off and on for years, but obviously if its a bad infection then the Dr is your first stop.
Anyway i have done the bicarb stuff for years and years and it hasnt affected me that i know.
princess
UKFM Regular

Postby suep » Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:39 pm

GeminiGirl, I was offered a bladder stretch by my Uro this week, but I turned it down as Ive heard alot of bad things about it for IC, Ive just come of Vesicare becuase it gave me Urine retention, so now Im waiting for cystitat instills :( not looking forward to this at all as you can imagine, but Im so desperate I'll try anything to get rid of this pain.

Princess, I also take the bicarb of soda, but in water as orange juice is too acidic for IC, it does help calm things down sometimes.I only take 1/2 tsp of the bicarb though as read in a book about bladder problems that if you take too much it can cause diarrehea.
sue
suep
UKFM Member

Postby juliet » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:42 pm

hi all

got my second water/kidney infection in a month and this time its killing me, have been on the bicarb and also am on anti biotics.. any ideas about what could just help me feel better tho? i have really intense pain around my kidneys just at the bottom of my ribs on my back.. it really is killing me today, am on the paracetamol but it doesnt seem to be making a difference.

any ideas what i can do to help with the back pain?
Juliet xxx

Happiness is not getting what you want, it is being content with what you have.
juliet
UKFM Member

Postby MCT » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:06 pm

I don't think I have cistitis cos I don't have the usual burning sensation but for the last couple of days but it doesn't seem to matter that I have just been to the loo but I need to go back again about 10 to 30 minutes later.

I'm not drinking anything different or in larger quantities that I would normally, it just comes on suddenly cos one minute I am fine and the next it's "gangway everyone I need to go NOW!" :shock:
http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/FMClinics/

My get up and go just got up and went!!!

As you slide down the bannister of life, may all the splinters be facing in the right direction :)
MCT
UKFM Member

Postby suep » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:52 pm

Juliet - when I have cystitis apart from the bicarb in water I find a hot water bottle can help ease the pain. Drink lots of water to flush the infection through too. I hope it clears up soon. As you keep getting infections I would ask to see a Urologist if your dr doesnt offer to do this, I was put on a long term low dose of antibiotics for a while, didnt really help me but does help others.

MCT - Urinery frequency can be a symptom of Fibro. You can get tablets from your gp for this, I cant remember the name of what I was on at the moment. Also if you have an irritable bladder changing you diet can help a lot. Cutting out caffiene , alcohol, most fruit especialy citric ( Im ok with bananas and pears only) and tomatoes has made a big difference to me.
sue
suep
UKFM Member

Postby GeminiGirl » Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:51 pm

I agree, water bottles or heat pads that you can stick on your skin where your back is sore offer relief. I take iboprufen when i've pain and sometimes it eases it.
GeminiGirl
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems