Intractable Pain article

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Intractable Pain article

Postby Min » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:44 pm

There is a wonderful article on intractable pain here that's well worth reading:

http://intractablepaindisease.com/
Donate for free to fibro & M.E. charities by using by using Everyclick as your search engine
Min
UKFM Member

Postby Corinne » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:23 pm

Thats certainly interesting & I haven't heard of it before.

Its just worth pointing out that what works for one person may not work for another & opiate based medication is an example of this- as many people with Fibromyalgia DONT respond well to opiates like morphine etc.

On the other hand I personally find codeine (an opiate) helps to a degree.

I guess its trial & error, but its nice to see that some people are taking the actual levels of pain some of us suffer with more seriously at last!

Corinne x
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Corinne
UKFM Member

Postby velvet » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:44 pm

i get the feeling that this is beyond where some, maybe even most of us are, certainly i am no where near what is described, although i find it slightely insulting to imply that mild to moderate pain doesnt affect normal life.
the idea of "malignant fibromyalgia" is very very scary and i am sure no-one in the NHS mentions it.
i have however passed this artical on to a friend of mine who fits the descriptors very closely - the hope that maybe the amount of pain she suffers can be reduced and controlled is enormormous for me - anytime i think i have it bad i know its not a patch on her but she is one of the few people that has any understanding and empathy of where i am.
velvet
UKFM Regular

pain and opiates

Postby zadok238 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:28 pm

Sorry I'm new to this site and a man and so not quite the average sufferer.
I've had FM 20 years but have only tried to understand it in the last eight . I did take opiates and NSAIDS but they didn't work- they killed the pain alright when I was on them but had wierd side effects that just don't make sense. eg erectile dysfunction(there- I've said it-sorry). As regards the pain as in my case I have a number of obvious food intolerances and by common sense and trial and error I have had some success with antihistamines although they make me very drowsy and groggy in the morning.
zadok238
UKFM Member

Postby LinzWorld » Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:51 pm

The author of thst article does not know much about Fibro - for example, it is not an "Auto-immune-Rheumatoid Disease".

I agree that just because a patient, or even some doctors, think that there is nothing that can be done, that isn't necessarily true.

However, strong opioids are NOT recommended for Fibro as they just do not work properly and we are more prone to side effects. Mild opiates, such as codeine, can be useful to take the edge off as side effects are relatively minor.

There are way better treatments for Firo than morphine and fentanyl.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems