reynauds disease

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

reynauds disease

Postby chrissy176 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:54 pm

Hello everyone
I am new to this forum. I was officially told I had fm about 7yrs ago although I believe I have had it for many years.

Yesterday I went to my doctor with numb fingers and toes and he said it was reynauds disease caused by the fm.

As anyone else been told this. What do you this is the best thing to do.

Chris
chrissy176
UKFM Newbie

Postby LinzWorld » Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:59 pm

Keeping them warm can help prevent this - socks, gloves, central heating, heat pads - whatever.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Postby gillshutt » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:36 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum, as Linz says keeping them warm is the best thing. If your hands get too cold try running them under warm water... not too hot though.

You can get wheatbag slippers to put on your feet... can't remember where I've seen them, possibly Amazon.

Gill x x
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

reynauds disease

Postby chrissy176 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:33 am

Thanks very much for the advice

Chris :) :)
chrissy176
UKFM Newbie

Postby hammy » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:07 pm

microwave slippers are brilliant try ebay ,where i got mine

rivka
hammy
UKFM Member

Postby Mr.A » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:36 pm

Yes I also have Reynauds. At night and outdoors, between September through June my fingers can go completely white (when this happens you lose sensation, moving them feels weird). During the coldest months it can happen at daytime outdoor temperators. I generally get cold way easier than normal people however this is a very common symptom of Fibromyalgia. It can be embarresing to always need to wear more clothes, for example when your going out and all the othe men are wearing only T-shirts or short sleeved shirts, and I have to have a jumper or coat. It's also embarresing if people see your fingers discoloured or completely white. It doesn't do any good for the condition of your skin either. On the coldest days I get it in my toes aswell, but this is quite rare for me.
Mr.A
UKFM Member

Postby gillshutt » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:56 am

Another tip... you can get hand warmers which you can carry round in your pocket. They worek by chemical reaction and you just click the metal bit in the middle for them to heat up.

If you get reusable ones all you have to do is boil them to return the gel inside to how it was, then you can use them again.
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Postby velvet » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:27 am

gillshutt wrote:Another tip... you can get hand warmers which you can carry round in your pocket. They worek by chemical reaction and you just click the metal bit in the middle for them to heat up.

If you get reusable ones all you have to do is boil them to return the gel inside to how it was, then you can use them again.

i have just bought a load of these from lidl as they are 99p for 2 at the moment. i then went and had one of those weird weekends where i was the only one that wasnt cold !!!!

seriously if you have a lidl near you try in there for the reusable handwarmers.
velvet
UKFM Regular

Postby MCT » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:51 pm

Not been told I have Reynauld's Syndrome, however, I do get two very cold feet, one cold hand and wait for it - a very cold nose! I even get it when the rest of me is sweating buckets!! Last time I spoke to GP she reckoned it may be due to nerve problems in my neck & back

My husband has Reynauds in his feet and hands and they're permanently cold. Yesterday he took great pleasure in waiting until I was snuggled up in my merino blanket in that not quite asleep twilight zone and then stuck his hands on my face :shock: Frightened the life out of me :shock:

I'll get my own back, soon as I can think of something :twisted:
http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/FMClinics/

My get up and go just got up and went!!!

As you slide down the bannister of life, may all the splinters be facing in the right direction :)
MCT
UKFM Member

Reynauld's Syndrome,

Postby chrissy176 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:31 pm

thanks for all the replies. Mr A I know where you are coming from I am freezing while the rest of the family are roasting. I am always being told to turn the heating down. lol. Also my fingers on my left hand feel really weird.

MCT I laughed out loud at your reply thank you.

Chris
chrissy176
UKFM Newbie

merino

Postby anne1206 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:01 pm

Hi all, glad I am not the only one with the cold nose thing, my hubby says I am like a wee dog as they always have cold noses. :?
MCT I have the merino wool blankets, pillows the works and boy oh boy do I love them, would definately reccommend these for our condition, think if they made a coat from it I would buy one : :lol:
durate et vosmet rebus servate secundis///>Carry on and preserve yourselves for better times
anne1206
UKFM Member

Postby MCT » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:20 pm

I have the pillows as well as the blanket - I think they are brilliant.

My aunt had bought them in Spain for her sore back (I believe they were rather expensive). It was just a couple of weeks before she died very suddenly. When my other aunts were going through her things they decided to give merino set to me as I was the most in need of them! I'm so glad they did.

My husband sometimes sits with his feet on one pillow with the other pillow on top to warm his feet up.
http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/FMClinics/

My get up and go just got up and went!!!

As you slide down the bannister of life, may all the splinters be facing in the right direction :)
MCT
UKFM Member

Postby Mr.A » Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:15 am

MCT wrote:I'll get my own back, soon as I can think of something :twisted:

:wink:

Anyways thnks for the replies. Are those hand warmer thingies still proper gloves with fingers to still anable you to use everyday objects for example getting your keys out and opening a door?
Mr.A
UKFM Member

Postby gillshutt » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:36 am

I think they are like little 'bags' not much bigger than teabags... you can put them inside your gloves... would make driving difficult unles you can put them on the back of your hands. Or you can put them in your pocket and shove your hands in for a warm every now and then.
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Postby Mr.A » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:57 pm

Speak of the devil, I've just come back from driving, I had my heating on full and my gloves on too, yet my fingers started going white.
Mr.A
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems