Ganglion Cyst and Joint Hypermobility

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Ganglion Cyst and Joint Hypermobility

Postby dianeh » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:15 am

I have recently found a lump on my wrist which after sitting up a & e for 3 hours, was told that i have a GANGLION which is a build up of thick fluid from the joint and which is very painful.
Anyone had one or got one of these horrible things and wots the best way to get rid of it. Also was told my wrist joints have caved in and not normal due to JOINT HYPERMOBILITY.

Are they all connected??????
any help would be appreciated.

Diane xx
dianeh
UKFM Member

Postby MCT » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:07 am

My husband had one of these a few months ago. The fluid can be removed though - would have thought A&E might have mentioned it. His was just left though and it seems to have all but disappeared - he's never mentioned any pain though.

I had mentioned to my hubby that my Gran called them bible bumps. She reckoned when she had one she had to lay her hand on the kitchen table and someone then proceeded to wallop the ganglion as hard as possible with the family bible (which apparently was huge!). Hubby then insisted I do likewise for him using one of his large reference books. I refused: a. I don't have the strength, b. I didn't want the responsibility and c. if I did have the strength I may not have been able to stop myself hitting him elsewhere as well :twisted: :lol: (you've not heard his "singing" - no emoticon for ear plugs- or heard his awful jokes :roll: or you would be tempted too).
http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/FMClinics/

My get up and go just got up and went!!!

As you slide down the bannister of life, may all the splinters be facing in the right direction :)
MCT
UKFM Member

Postby gillshutt » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:47 am

I've got one on my knee that I've had for getting on 40 years :shock: I also get one on my wrist which comes and goes.

I've heard of them being called Bible lumps too :lol: It's not reccomended to whack them if it's near your wrist though as you could break bones. :shock:

My daughter got one and had an op to remove it as it was on the hand she writes with and she was finding it difficult to do her school work. My son has one that comes and goes too.

I am slightly hypermobile... not so much now as I'm starting to stiffen up due to age and FM :D But don't know if my kids are... I didn't know I was until told about it on another FM site, just thought it was normal as my mum who's 84 can still put her hands flat on the floor without bending her knees.

Gill x
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Postby Corinne » Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:25 am

I've had several small ganglions on my wrist over the years- although no-one ever told me if they were related to hypermobility (which I also have!)

I was told that unless they are causing alot of pain or restricting movement they are best left alone, the GP I saw originally described removing them to me as basically scraping the tissue away from the tendon they form on & it sounded too nasty! :shock:

I have also heard about whacking them to get rid of them- its a common "old wives tale" and whilst it MAY work I really DONT think it would be a good idea!

My GP said that if the ganglion grew or changed etc then it would be worth looking at again, but in my case it never really caused more than a slight ache & was quite small. One day I found it had just disappeared!

Since then I have had several, never larger than a small pea & always on my right wrist & they have disappeared in their own time, although I have a very small one on the tendon from my thumb joint that has been there for about 8 years now.

If it is causing you alot of pain then it would be worth talking to your GP about having it removed.

Corinne x
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Corinne
UKFM Member

Postby LinzWorld » Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:33 am

Joint hypemobility can put a lot of strain on joints, so various things are more common, e.g. inflammation of the tendons/bursa.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Postby smoky » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:10 pm

hi there
i have a huge ganglion on my left wrist. it doesnt hurt; and i've had several b4 and none of them have. They can be removed surgically; but it isnt recommended as they ofte come back and they also often disappear over time ( though I have had the latest one for yrs!)
AS for te removal by bible bashing - i wouldnt recommend it; i said my ganglions never hurt; i wil rephrase that to they only ever hurt when a doc recommended this way to get rid and after one bash the pain was indescribable.... :oops:
i know they look yucky but really they are very unimportant in the scale of things!
michele
smoky
UKFM Member

Postby lasenzagirl » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:07 pm

i have a ganglion on my wrist ..iv had it for years and it rarely bothers me yeah i heard the bible cure but thought better of it haha bless you .i also have joint hypermobility iv been told to try and strentghen my muscles up as they have to work extra hard ..so i may get pilates dvd for xmas altho im waiting for the rheumatoligist to send me exercise sheets .xxxxxxxxxxx
lasenzagirl
UKFM Member

Postby CrazyLady » Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:46 am

I've got a ganglion on my wrist and joint hypermobility too!
CrazyLady
UKFM Member

Postby rik » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:57 pm

That explains the lump near my elbow I've had for a few years! They didn't tell me what it was called but described it as a build up of fluid. It hurts when pressed (like a bad bruise) but because it's near a joint they wouldn't remove it.
rik
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems