Hair falling out??

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Hair falling out??

Postby juliet » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:24 pm

hi all

just wondering if anyone else has noticed that their hair is falling out a lot more than usual? mine is falling out fast and i have noticed that it feels thinner, im not talking about huge chunks at the time, its like im moulting but loads, my hair brush is full every time i brush my hair and there is always a load inthe plug hole after a shower.

starting to worry me coz i like my hair!! anyone else had this?
Juliet xxx

Happiness is not getting what you want, it is being content with what you have.
juliet
UKFM Member

Postby Corinne » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:44 pm

I seem to always lose alot of hair- but as I've always worn it really long, I think it may just be my perception of it. But there does seem to be drifts of the damn stuff round my house :roll:

So I don't know whether its related or not- but I would get it checked out with your GP if its a new thing- it could be a side effect of your medication or a problem with your thyroid or something else entirely!

Corinne x
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Corinne
UKFM Member

Postby smoky » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:19 pm

ooh
have you been tested for underactive thyroid. I am underactive and when i have a dip and b4 i was diagnosed i lost loads of hair as you describe..... the outer third of my eyebrows would go too. It is really horrid; like you i love my hair, which used to be thick and lustrous, but sadly is no more :cry:

do consider this
michele
smoky
UKFM Member

Postby juliet » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:50 pm

yep my thyroid has been checked and i mentioned it to the neuro on monday and he seemed to think it was part of the FM/ME but as i haddnt heard anything on here i wanted to see really if it was something i needed to worry about.

mum is going to have her hair cut today so im planning to pop along and chat to the hair dressers their, see if they can give me any tips and chat about short styles with them as im thinking about having a load chopped off!

mum was chatting to a friend the other day who has identical symptoms to me and she was diagnosed as having hyperparathyroid i think i have been tested for this but i might be worth other people getting checked out, i think they just need to test your blood for calcium levels.. gonna ask the doc and report back!
Juliet xxx

juliet
UKFM Member

Postby juliet » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:53 pm

hey

well i went to the hair dressers and had a load of hair cut off, and she has specifically done it in a layered style that if it does thin anymore it should hide it to a certain extent.

the hair is still falling out, i woke up this morning with hair all over my nighty i find it really upsetting. also not sure i like my new short hair not becuase the style isnt nice (it is!) but because every time i look in the mirror it reminds me i'm ill, if that makes sense. i had a load cut off firsly so that it wasnt so upsetting to find loads of hair everywhere (looks less when its shorter hairs) but also to make washing and drying it much easier as i dont have the energy anymore.

spoke to the doc yesterday about a load of things, and got her to send me for a blood test to check for hyperparathyroid. i never thought i would hope for an illness, but to cure that all you have to do is have the bit next to your thyroid cut out and your cured.. so im hoping!

she recons that the hair loss is due to either a low immune system or stress.. so i should try not to get stressed :? hmmmm likely!
Juliet xxx

juliet
UKFM Member

Postby mistyblu » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:37 pm

i'm sure its upsetting and frightening to have your hair falling out as if we don't have enough to put up with.
I have quite long hair, i haven't had it cut, part from trimming the ends, for over 10 years now and although i always loose some when i brush my hair morning and night I can't say its anymore than before i had fms but then i could have had fms for much longer than the 5 or so years since it was dx.
mistyblu
UKFM Member

Postby Dawnie C » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:03 pm

Hi,

My hair has been falling out for a while and was tested for loads of things but nothing came up so has been put down to the FM.

I have really thick hair so I am lucky it doesnt show that much and my hardresser says it is growing back.

Like you brush is full everytime i use it and plughole gets very clogged.

Just another thing to have to put up with .

d x
Dawnie C
UKFM Member

Postby The Listen Lady » Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:41 pm

Hi. My hair was falling out too and my nails were starting to curl under. It turned out that some of my meds were stripping vitamin B12 from my system. I started taking a cheap hair & nails vitamin suppliment & things have definitely improved. Not saying this would work for you but it doesn't cost much to try it if nothing else is found.
Take Care
Stevie
The Listen Lady
UKFM Member

Postby MeowsAtNight » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:31 pm

Big hugs for you, Juliet! I know how you feel. I always had very thick hair (mine is long) but mine began falling out some years ago. It's thin now and doesn't grow back. I've been tested about the thyroid, Lupus, and other things. No one can tell me why this is occurring. I'm on nutritional supplements and vitamins that are good for the hair. Doesn't matter. I've tried everything over the years. I finally went to a Dermatologist. After seeing bald spots on my scalp, he said it was systemic, due to all my illnesses. I have too much adrenaline pumping through me constantly, so my body perceives everything as stress. Hence, the hair falling out. This will increase after I've been upset or had a migraine. So I guess I will have to look into getting a wig by the end of this year. Yuck.
MeowsAtNight

Postby cat123 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:41 pm

Hi meows,i have clip in hair extentions,easy on the scalp,dont pull your hair,so maybe you could try them.i call them my wiggies!.............cat
cat123
UKFM Member

Postby MeowsAtNight » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:36 pm

Cat, thank you so much for the helpful suggestion, I really appreciate it. I have looked into hair extensions when I was in the USA but was told that the weight of them (however slight) could make my hair fall out even quicker? So I'm not sure whether to try them or not, and I don't know where to get them here in Bracknell, England? Thanks again.
MeowsAtNight

Re: Hair falling out??

Postby Tapestry » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:09 pm

Hi Ive just been diagnosed with FM but along with all the other symptoms of Fm that I have been complaining about over the years my hair falling out is one of them.I think its just FM.I dont know how to deal with it though.
Lorraine :yikes:
Tapestry
UKFM Newbie

Postby roxichik » Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:38 am

Hi there
My hair seems to thin out every year and then grow back. I enquired about this and found out it is a common thing with auto-immune disease.
I went to my Doc and he was mot very helpful as, like you, it was thinning and not falling out in chunks.
My hairdresser came to the rescue with a bottle of Nexus "hair food" shampoo. Not volumising but actual food for the hair which encourages normal growth.
Use dit for 8 weeks and like magic it came back thick and fast. Smells nice and as you only need a very small amount, it lasts a very long time.
Have a look round. It is only sold in salons.
Good Luck
Heidi xx
roxichik
UKFM Member

Postby LinzWorld » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:57 pm

Fibro shouldn't make hair fall out any more than just generally being a bit run down would. If it's coming out in clumps or so that your hair is visibly thinner, that's not a Fibro thing.

Vitamin & mineral deficiencies can be involved in hair loss though and they are often missed in Fibromites as the other symptoms are similar to Fibro.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Postby Ange » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:47 pm

I've never seen anything about hair falling out with Fybro....although as an ex hairdresser, my thoughts on falling hair with these diseases is a weakened hair folicle. I might be wrong, but that's my best bet so far.

The symptoms of Fybro and Hyopthyroidism are amost identical. Hypo makes your hair fall out. But.....so does the thyroxine that you take for the hypo, so it's a no win situation.

GPs will tell you that you blood test results for the hypo are 'within range' or 'normal'. The range for the TSH is between 0.1 and 5. In America, the range has been cut to 0.1 and 3....cos anywhere near 3 and you feel ill. So, you could be 2.75 for instance, be within range, but still be clinically hypo with all the associated symptoms that go with it. And as I said, there symptoms are almost identical. Any doubt, ask the GP for the figures....he/she has to tell you.
This is an excellent site for finding out all things hypo..
http://thyroid-disease.org.uk/index.php ... &Itemid=92

A lot of people cannot tolerate the effects of the 'synthetic' thyroxine which has replaced the natural pigs thyroxine that used to be used. The pigs thyroxine has converters etc to make our bodies accept it, but as there is a lot of money involved in deals etc by big drug companies to make the synthetic stuff, the natural one has ben outlawed in this country....although America and Australia still prescibe it with no bad effects.

Another thing for hair falling out is lack of B12. That is common both with hypo and fybro.
Again the range is ridiculus....something like 200 to 900. Mine was 250 and I was supposedly ok. One thing that ill give away low B12 is no 'half moons' on your nails. I take this.....
http://www.nutricentre.com/p-31152-meta ... 100ml.aspx
Now I have half moons and my hair is starting to grow back slowly.

Ang x
Never drive faster than your Angels can fly.
Ange
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems