Depression info

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Depression info

Postby gillshutt » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:40 pm

I know a lot of people with FM also suffer depression and thought I'd put up some useful information for those interested and/or suffering. It's now been well established that depression is a biological illness although outside factors do influence it. So don't try and muddle through or hope it'll go away by itself, suffering from depression is not a sign of weakness or lack of control it is an illness... please seek medical advice and help.

Here are some useful sites.

Nami

healthyplace

Hope this helps someone.

Gill x x
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Postby smoky » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:03 pm

what a great idea gill; it took me ages to stop feeling a failure with my depression; i have accepted it now but it would have been good to have these links at the time :)
smoky
UKFM Member

Postby princess » Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:39 pm

My best friend is a Phy Nurse - and she says that antidepressants are needed in depression, she also says you accept when your arm or leg break, so why not accept your brain can break down too.

I have had two episodes, both after loosing parents, with both i had been a carer for about 2 years.

I was told that i was running my life on stress, eventually i couldnt take any more and although i wasnt looking after them, as they had died. My brain coulnt switch off. I took agoraphobia both times.

I struggled for l year without anything, then i was put on Lustral and wha!la! things started to work, i felt better, - also was told to eat Black Chocolate as it has some sort of chemical that can help too - chocolate!!! No problem, never knew if the Dr was having me on with the chocolate.

So yes chemical imbalances sometimes need help ie antidepressants and i am so glad i took mine.

Wasnt long and i was over in Australia staying with my sister and standing alone in the bush getting pictures. Before the tablets i couldn't even go out my front door to the car - 3 steps away!!!

They ceertainly helped me and i had Lustral.
princess
UKFM Regular

Postby smoky » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:59 pm

chocolate contains serotonin which is a neuro transmitter for the brain ; it improves your mood which is why we like chocolate :D
smoky
UKFM Member

Postby star » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:54 pm

How come that after 2 years of reading posts on these sites, I am still surprised at how often I read about people having exactly the same difficulties and problems as me! :o
My first reaction is still "What a coincidence!" :shock: Nutter!
No 1 - I adore chocolate especially the dark stuff - but I enjoy and will eat any type at all and it always makes me feel better. (Haven't tried the dog's chocolate drops yet, so there is still a chance that I wouldn't like it and end up being a fusspot after all. As if!) :lol:
No 2 - I have had a couple of extremely bad depressive episodes too. A bereavement has also been involved. At the time I have continued to keep busy and have actually increased my activity levels to distract myself from the emotional trauma I was suffering. 8)
Inevitably I become ill through exhaustion but my first symptom was always a physical one. One bout began with a totally rigid neck and random unexplained pains throughout my body. :cry: Another time my knee trebled in size and I was unable to bend it to walk and I had more random unexplained pains throughout my body. :cry:
My doc described my resulting illnesses as being both physical and nervous exhaustion, and told me that my brain had cut out, because it simply could not keep me functioning at the levels I was demanding of it. My whole system would then fold.
Of course now I know (isn't hindsight a wonderful thing?) these were fibro flair ups. Each of them left me drastically cutting down on my activity levels, working part-time, declining social outings and driving instead of walking. These modifications in my life continue to this day when I am taking the last step and retiring early through ill health. :cry: :cry:

Am wondering if some other nutter is reading my post and feeling surprised at the coincidence even though we are all on this site because we have the same illness!
You have just got to laugh at how daft we can be! :lol:
Learn to live in the world with hope, love and peace but do not let the rest of the world live too much in you. Take time to enjoy your own company and be your own best friend for life.
star
UKFM Member

brain

Postby princess » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:35 pm

The brain is just another part of the body that can break down, why do people have so many issues with mental health.
I sat at a table with 9 ladies in Victoria Australia 3 years ago and you know they were all the same age as me and i was the only one who had not had cancer.
But when i said i had had depression/anxiety that gave me agrophobia twice it went silent!!!
I know my cousin had the same, we are like sisters and think of us as that, but the others were silent.
I really dont understand why they have issues - its only another part that can break down of the machine called our body!!!!
When i lost my babies i didnt get councilled or any help - now you can get help with baby blues, its accepted in general - so maybe in time depression will be accepted too - the sooner the better - especially for us who are ill 24/7

princess
princess
UKFM Regular

Postby roofus_mcdoofus » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:34 pm

star wrote: No 1 - I adore chocolate especially the dark stuff - but I enjoy and will eat any type at all and it always makes me feel better. (Haven't tried the dog's chocolate drops yet, so there is still a chance that I wouldn't like it and end up being a fusspot after all. As if!) :lol:

You don't want to try dog chocolate!!! I use to eat doggie treats when I was a little kid but I've only ever had the dog chocolate once....NEVER AGAIN!! lol! Can't believe I just admitted that. :oops: :oops:
roofus_mcdoofus
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems