wrist...

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

wrist...

Postby Lucy-Lemon » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:37 pm

dont quite know where to put this as its moe related to my eds than fm, but hey thought i'd ask your opinions.

3 weeks ago today whilst pulling my tshirt down my wrist made a funny popping/cracking sound, which was really painful. my wrist went puffy but didnt swell and there was no discolouration and i can move my fingers etc.

problem is, its still extremely painful now, and i've had to put my dreaded wrist support on to stop myself 'catching' it. its still a little bit puffy but i think thats cause if my wrist support rather than the wrist itself. i use my hand as much as possible, but i can't grip too well (my grip isnt great anyway but its worse than usual) and i can't make a fist without shooting pains running through my wrist and up my arm. (with wrist support on and off)

we havent seen a doctor or been to a&e simply because there was no swelling, discolouration and that i could move my fingers. but 3 weeks down the line and its still extremely painful. my physio was here today and she said it looked puffy but could be the support making it like that, but if we still arent happy in a few days then to go to my gp.

what does everyone think? should mum ring my gp and see what she thinks? or should we leave it say another week?

im hoping its nothing, and i can't wait to take my wrist support off for good, its driving my skin mad :roll:

hope that makes sense!

lucy x
edited to add, i leave my wrist support off as much as possible, but when i have it off i can't use my right arm cause i keep catching and knocking it, and i forget after a little while and end up with my whole lower arm throbbing as i've done something my wrist doesnt agree with :roll: :?
Lucy-Lemon
UKFM Member

Postby Looby Lou » Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:25 pm

Sorry to hear about your problem and I think you definitely need to see the doctor even if its only to get a record of it in your notes and he might say just to rest it. I can't believe that your physio was so unhelpful!

All the best for a happy and less painful year for you and all fibros! x
Looby Lou
UKFM Member

Postby velvet » Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:42 am

you need to see your doctor - wrists dont always swell! when my son (as an example not to scare you or say this is what you have done) broke his wrist earlier this year although it was mis-shapen it did not swell - the main reason i took him to A+E besides it being slightly out of shape was because the pain didnt stop quickly (on a young boy scale that is - its a mother thing). my next door neighbours son went a week with a break before going to the doctor because again there was no swelling.
velvet
UKFM Regular

Postby Ouchy » Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:11 pm

Lucy I am sure I have said this before but I shall say it again,
Get it checked out please

Did you hear me that time Lucy? :lol: xxx
Ouchy
UKFM Member

wrist

Postby princess » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:12 pm

Lucy

Dont ask, phone the Dr and get him out.
Your wrist does not swell for no good reason.
Could be tendon, could be muscle i dont know but please get it checked out.
Hi Ouchy - yes ditto.

princess
princess
UKFM Regular

Postby Lucy-Lemon » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:22 pm

mums going to ring our gp tomorrow, we both rather i see my usual gp but she's now semi retired and the best (and busiest) doctor at the surgery, so seeing her isnt always easy.

i am going to get it checked, just a case of when :lol:

thanks,
Lucy xx
Lucy-Lemon
UKFM Member

wrist

Postby princess » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:24 pm

Great news.

Best to be safe rather than sorry honey

let me know how it goes

princess
princess
UKFM Regular

Postby Lucy-Lemon » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:52 pm

i've given up on my wrist support now so am trying to get on with it. we know its my thumb not my wrist, as when i stopped wearing the wrist support we noticed my thumb was swollen, and is very stiff. and the whole thumb, through my wrist and up my arm is very sore. it also goes a bit red at times..which isnt good. so we know why the wrist support wasnt helping now!

i havent seen a doctor yet but mum went to speak to my gp yesterday, but not my usual one. apparantly he was fascinated and kept asking mum loads of questions, and would like to see me at some point.
mum has also rung my physio at the uchl twice now and she hasnt got back to us yet..

we'll have to see how things go. ill get it sorted...eventually :roll: :lol:

lucy x
Lucy-Lemon
UKFM Member

Postby gillshutt » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:51 am

I have 'trigger thumb' in both my thumbs. It's where the tendon runs through the sheath but there's a lump growing in the sheath so the tendon can't run through smoothly. It causes the tendon to stick then, when it unsticks it pops and hurts like mad.

The only thing they can do is, if it get's really bad, operate on it :( Maybe you have a bad case of this.. I find it comes and goes, somedays worse than others as though it swells up some days. Usually worse when I have been working with my hands a lot.

Gill x
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

lucy

Postby princess » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:43 pm

Hi Lucy

I know you suffer every day and it must be hard to be so young and in such pain - but know that we are all here for you and if you need a yap then you know Princess ? is here for you as are the other forum members.

Princess
(dont tell them my name ok) hahahaha
princess
UKFM Regular

lucy lucy

Postby smiler22 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:03 pm

you need to get it sorted and be seen by the gp. as it sounds like you could have a fracture. if not you could end up with arthritis in it in the future or more probs.

i too have probs with both wrists and have had five ops on my left one. so i sympathise with the pain.

please get seen. xx
live life to the full as life is what you make itxx
smiler22
UKFM Regular

Postby monumental » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:47 pm

Hi All

I have just been reading with great interest about the many wrist problems different people are having. A few weeks ago i started with problems in my right arm., i had shooting pains going up from the wrist into my arm, like a sharp needle , the wrist itself had a pins and needles feeling, but if i moved my arm in a certain way, the muscles in my lower arm felt as if they were tight and my two end fingers went into a painful spasm. Has anyone got any info on this and what could be causing it, it is now slowly starting in the other arm but not as bad as yet.
Many thanks

Blessings

Monica :(
monumental
UKFM Member

Postby princess » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:24 pm

Lucy

Have you seen the Dr yet?

fiona
princess
UKFM Regular

Postby princess » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:28 pm

Lucy congratulations on your results - straight A's you are some clever girl - well come especially with all your illness the last year.
Very proud of u honey
fiona
x
princess
UKFM Regular

Postby Lucy-Lemon » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:53 pm

i havent seen a doctor yet no, and the next few weeks are so busy neither me or mum have the time.

it still doesnt look right and is still very painful though :( :?

and thanks fiona :)
unfortunately i've got to try and keep that up in every science modules i do, i have 3 more to go in the next 2 years (my next ones are in march i thnk). the joys of choosing triple science :lol: :lol:

lord knows how ill do in my other subjects, especially english :lol:

and Monica, that sounds painful! sorry but i dont know what it could be.
i think my wrist/hand problem has more to do with EDS and my joints popping in and out etc.

Lucy x
Lucy-Lemon
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems