Chest pain and shortness of breath

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Chest pain and shortness of breath

Postby tiny clanger » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:31 pm

Hi I am hoping someone might be able to help me. I was diagnosed with fibro a year ago, but in between times have also been told I have type 1 diabetes.....life just keeps getting better! Anyway I have been waking up for months with a real heavy feeling in my chest, like an elephant has been sleeping on me. Its got better as the day goes on. Then I got a cold 6 weeks ago. The cold has gone but I have a feeling of fullness in my sternum, and my right lung aches when I breathe. I have been having real problems with shortness of breath and just feeling like my chest muscles are struggling to work. Have had loads of tests and been in hospital. Docs cant find anythig wrong so have suggested I see a psychiatrist!!! Real helpful of them! Anyway what I am struggling to say is does anyone else ever have these symptoms as I am just not convinced this is fibro and nobody in the medical profession seems to be taking me seriously. Plesae can anyone help?
A fed up and worried Tiny Clanger
tiny clanger
UKFM Member

Postby MeowsAtNight » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:07 pm

Yes, I get that feeling when my costochondritis acts up. Some FMSers have costochondritis along with Myofascial Pain Syndrome. So it isn't the fibro, but these other conditions which can create that feeling. You say you've had all kinds of tests, so I'm assuming they have checked for fluid around the heart. My brother gets fluid around the heart which produces that type of symptom, also. I'm sorry you are suffering.
MeowsAtNight

Postby Corinne » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:48 pm

Costochondritis IS very common in FM & if you've had everything else ruled out then this is likely to be the problem.

Costo is pain & inflammation of the cartilage around the rib cage.

A friend of mine with FM & Costo on another forum has suggested lying for a few minutes with a rolled up towel along the spine to stretch out the chest muscles- this was suggested by her physio.

Its worth a try, hope it helps.

Corinne x
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Corinne
UKFM Member

Postby tiny clanger » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:34 am

Thanks for the advice it helps to know I am not the only one and that this may be fibro related after all. I will try the towel suggestion Corrine. Thanks again
tiny clanger
UKFM Member

Postby Lisa21 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:50 pm

I was diagnosed with Costochondritis in 2005, and finally with Fibromyalgia recently! It is really upsetting me lately as well as everything else. I am having difficulty breathing lately as well as the pain in the chest and ribs.
Lisa21
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems