ARTHRITIS OF THE NECK – CERVICAL SPONDYLOSIS

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

ARTHRITIS OF THE NECK – CERVICAL SPONDYLOSIS

Postby Hay1ie » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:44 pm

Hi all,

I have now been diagnosed with Cervical Spondylosis....which considering i'm only 35 isn't great :?
Anyone else suffer with this and what pain relief have you been offered by the NHS?
Just because I am in pain doesn't mean I am one! LOL
Hay1ie
UKFM Member

Postby gillshutt » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:56 pm

I have OA all over, including my neck. I take tramadol, co-codamol and gabapentin (the gaba is great as it gets rid of the nerve type pain which the OA causes) I also take meloxicam for the inflammation.

Sorry you have it too ((xx)) :(
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Postby Hay1ie » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:02 pm

Hi Gill,

I take Gaba and paracetamol/codine 500/15mg tabs already....might have to ask at pain clinic about tramadol....does it cause constipation like codine does?

I have been told i am at a higher risk of developing arthritis in other areas at a young age too...I have pains in my finger joints already and have had for about 3 years...so maybe that is OA???

Oh aint it all fab...hehe :lol: Just gotta get on with it I guess :)
Hay1ie
UKFM Member

Postby MCT » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:19 pm

I have lumbar spondylosis and take Arthrotec. I also have Cocodamol 30/500 for the pain but to be honest if I took the full dose I'm supposed to I'd be fit for nothing as they knock me for six.

Hubby had a wisdom tooth out today and he decided to take a couple of 30/500s as he was in a lot of pain - they helped his pain but he said he doesn't even feel drowsy at all. Wish I could say the same!
http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/FMClinics/

My get up and go just got up and went!!!

As you slide down the bannister of life, may all the splinters be facing in the right direction :)
MCT
UKFM Member

Postby gillshutt » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:13 pm

The co-codamol does bung me up but not the tramadol although other people say it does them. I have found that my body has adjusted to the co-codamol. I now take them twice a day every day and I only get constipated if I have a bad day and have to take more.
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Postby Hay1ie » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:20 am

Thanks for your posts :D

I have been looking up Facet Joint Injections.....these have been suggested to me today....has anyone had them and did they work for you? And do they hurt???? lol :shock:
Hay1ie
UKFM Member

Postby gillshutt » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:08 am

Not had them... don't fancy the idea to be honest :shock: sounds painful. But then I've become a bit of a baby since having FM.
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Postby SAT » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:22 pm

hi
i have been dx with cervical sponylosis and was given tramadol by gp, i found i get constipated on them but i have a twisted bowel which does not help things. also on naproxen, as this apparently is not only an inflammatory it also contains a painkiller. had the joint injection you were talking about in my shoulder joint it was very painful but learnt afterwards you are supposed to have a local anesthetic when having the joint injections.(cried like a baby) doctor said no one had ever cried before, this made me feel even more like crying, must be because of the fm and the needle going through the muscles.
SAT
UKFM Member

Postby Zinc Oxide » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:49 pm

Hi

I have OA, displaced disks and bone spurs in the lower part of my neck.
The biggest problem I have with this is when a nerve gets squeezed, my neck muscles go into a violent spasm, very painful. When this occurs I take Co-codamol and Diazepam to relieve the spam.

A Physio once tried 'gentle traction' on my neck, caused pain for a week.
:cry:

David
I don't like pain because it hurts.

I wish I was tough as my cat, she removed her own stiches and never complains of hurts or pains.
Zinc Oxide
UKFM Member

Postby princess » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:37 pm

Yes got athritis 3 places in spine - neck, bra strap area and down 5th vertibrae causing sciatica.
princess
UKFM Regular

Postby Hay1ie » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:56 am

I too get the spasms in the neck...i'd guess every 3-4 months or so...it puts me out of action for about 3 days when it goes and the pain is so bad :cry:
It makes me so angry that all we can do is take pills tho when this happens...i am only 35 and have been having the neck spasms regular for about 5 years.... :(
Have tried physio, acupuncture, chiro and bowen therapy......none of which seem to give any relief long term.

I have had trigger point injections which in truth weren't as painful as I expected but sadly did nothing for my pain :(
Hay1ie
UKFM Member

Postby gillshutt » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:25 am

I had to take diazepam for my back recently and it worked on my neck as well. Unfortunately they are very addictive so I'm only allowed a few at a time but for those who have really bad spasms and pain it might be worth asking about. They act as a muscle relaxant.
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Postby LinzWorld » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:57 am

Be careful with diazepam as they may disrupt your sleep further. And as those of you with neck issues like this already have an extra reason for the autonomic nervous system and your sleep to be disrupted, that's not good at all. Clonazepam and Lorazepam are used for Fibro sometimes as they promote good sleep, calming the autonomic nervous system, instead of making things worse. They also help with muscle spasms, etc.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Postby motherelephant » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:11 am

i was advised by a Gp to go to a chiropracta never again .i was in shock for days when he cracked my neck yoooooooooooooooooo .it makes me squirm just thinking about it. motherelle
Like sunshine in the morning, may this brighten up your day and show you that you're thought of in a warm and loving way.
motherelephant
UKFM Regular

Postby gilly54 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:24 pm

I have Arthritis in my neck too. Cause some awful headaches. Spent a fortune on pillows, trying to find one that's like a supporting cloud ( one day.................................................) After reacting badly to a lot on medication I'm down to Paracetamol, codiene and Baclofen. They barely take the edge off it all :cry:
gilly54
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems