ARTHRITIS OF THE NECK – CERVICAL SPONDYLOSIS

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Postby Zinc Oxide » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:24 pm

Hay1ie wrote:I too get the spasms in the neck...i'd guess every 3-4 months or so...it puts me out of action for about 3 days when it goes and the pain is so bad :cry:
snip
:(

My approach to muscle spasm in the neck is (if at home):

1. Hot water bottle over the muscle knot.
2. 10mg Diazepam
3. Go to bed with the hot water bottle under my neck.

After a few hours sleep this usually relaxes the spasm, however if the nerves in my neck are still a bit grumpy the muscles will start to spasm again within a few hours or maybe over the next few days.

That's the best I can hope for. My GP said, in my case, there is not a lot they can do about bone spurs. Another doctor advised against proding around in the cervical spine.

GPs are very cautious over the amount of Diazepam they prescribe and at 10mg a go my prescription doesn't last too long. I have asked if other muscle relaxants are available without much luck.

David
I don't like pain because it hurts.

I wish I was tough as my cat, she removed her own stiches and never complains of hurts or pains.
Zinc Oxide
UKFM Member

Postby gillshutt » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:50 pm

I'm only allowed 2mg ones :(
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Postby princess » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:26 pm

I came up and bumped my neck on upper bunk bed, so every so often i have pain and have to wear a collar - twice lately as it happens, but it dosent really affect me day to day thank god.
princess
UKFM Regular

Postby jasongoodall » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:34 am

hi been waiting 6 weeks for results from a mri of head and neck ,
phone the hostital and they said the doctors got the results 20 days ago , been there today and i have the same as you ,
i am 35 as well
jasongoodall
UKFM Newbie

i am waiting for mri results on that!

Postby samantha louise » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:49 am

i am waiting rof mri on that too
doc will only give me 2 mg of diazepam it doesnt touch the sides
samantha - louise
and my two little wiggles!
xxx

fuddle off... no,... YOU fuddle off!!
samantha louise
UKFM Regular

Postby jasongoodall » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:40 pm

got to go back doctors monday to see normal doctor
to see what i can get for pain relief
jasongoodall
UKFM Newbie

Postby gillshutt » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:40 pm

If it's OA then you need anti-inflammatories as well as pain relief.. as long as you can take them. For the time being you can by a cream called comfrileve from Boots, it's a Seven Seas product and does help... perfectly natural ingrediaents and no containdications with any meds.
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Re: ARTHRITIS OF THE NECK – CERVICAL SPONDYLOSIS

Postby sharon g » Wed May 27, 2009 9:15 pm

Hi all :wave: Can anyone help me :( . Been up at 3.20am this morning in agony with terrible pain and tenderness on the front/right side of my neck/top of right shoulder. Took 2 Voltorol tablets for pain, took 50mins to kick in, eventually went back to bed, then woe and behold I was woken up at 5.20am in the same pain again I started with 2hrs previous :( . Its now 9.05pm, and still in same agony as been in all day, dreading going to bed 2nite! I have had this problem a few times before with exactly the same symptoms,and have no idea what it could be. I seem to have it a few days at a time, but its absolutely killing me and I dont know what to do with myself or what to take or do about it :? Does anybody have any idea what it could be thats causing me so much grief. I wish it would hurry up and go away. I cant take much more of it :needhug: . Everytime I turn my neck to look left it b***dy hurts! Please...... any suggestions. sharon g x.
sharon g
UKFM Newbie

Postby princess » Wed May 27, 2009 9:27 pm

[quote="Hay1ie"]Hi all,

I have now been diagnosed with Cervical Spondylosis....which considering i'm only 35 isn't great :?
Anyone else suffer with this and what pain relief have you been offered by the NHS?[/quote]

Yes have had that off and on for about 20 years - i am okk for ages and then it comes back and i use a collar for about 2-3 weeks and it goes. My kids had bunk beds and i was making the lower bed when my wee girl came up and touched me i jumped and cracked myneck on the wooden beam - so thats my history of sore necks. Also have athritis in lower back so its probably in my neck too now.
princess
princess
UKFM Regular

Postby lizbet » Wed May 27, 2009 11:35 pm

I have arthitis in my neck and spine, hips and knees and my lower back spasms up frequently. Ive been laid low with it this past week. I take co-codamol 30/500 but to be honest they dont work that well. I cant take antiflammatories because of gerd. Im seeing my doc next week and was going to ask him about something else for the pain and have been wondering about gabapentin.
Ive noticed that quite a few if you seem to be on it. How does it affect you? Im very prone to dizzinness. Everything seems to make me dizzzy and also put weight on. How does gabapentin affect these things? :?
lizbet
UKFM Member

Postby keyxley » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:31 pm

Are there any good creams that work sold over the counter for arthritis and muscle pain? I can't take any nsaids to help relieve the pain for inflamation and arthritis. Because of my medications I already take, I was trying to find a external cream that might help.
Last edited by keyxley on Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
keyxley
UKFM Newbie

Postby shazq » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:55 pm

Hi keyxley

You should ask in the chemist, they will have a word with the pharmacy who will be able to tell you what crams are best to use with your current meds. :goodluck1: Hope you find one that helps. :hugs:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby Julie. » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:49 pm

Hi :wave:
Go to your Gp and ask for Volterol on prescription as he or she will give you a large tube. The chemists are alot dearer and have only small tubes.
I suffer badly with CS and this does help as i too cannot take and anti-inflams internally.

Good luck. :goodluck1:
Take one day at a time. Tomorrow will wait.
Julie.
UKFM Member

Postby budda » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:24 am

I to use Volterol on different parts of my body, it does help ME, hope it works for you.
budda
UKFM Regular

Postby cherryblossom » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:58 am

Hi All, :wave:

I had an mri scan of my neck just before christmas, after phoning them up for the results was rushed thru to see two consultants within two weeks!! The first one said my earlier nerve test had shown there were a couple of issues with my right hand. He then told me my scan showed I had artrhitis of my neck at c4 and c5 and 6 and 7 didn't look great either! He said these discs were bulging and pressing on my nerves so he wanted a second opinion as to whether an op was needed on my neck or my hand or not at all. Saw the consultant wednesday (16th) she showed me my mri scan. Confirmed what 1st doc said but says I'm not presenting with the 'normal' symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome which is what they 1st thought it was. Said where my nerve was being pressed on would affect my left side not my right (told her I have some minor tingling etc in left hand) and said there was still more room for the discs to continue to bulge out into the other channel of fluid in my neck! Also said my neck was dead straight and it shouldn't be (meant to have a small curve) but said this was fibro keeping my neck and shoulder in spasm! Told me she was sending me back to other consultant saying to have my right cts done if I want and thinks this will solve all issues! My first doc said if this was sent back as the case then it was up to me as he said my symptoms aren't normal and he'd prefer to wait and see if anything else develops rather than do the cts and find it only eased and not cured the issue.

Well, I'm not too sure. I also forgot to ask her why is it then when I stetch in a certain way or move a certain way I get this huge pain in one sid eof my neck and pass out! Have also recently remembered I saw a doc a few years ago about pain who said I have 'impingemnet' in my shoulder. All the usual tapping of hand tests and other things they do for cts don't affect me.

My symptoms are my whole hand goes numb and feels like my hand is going to explode. I get a pain in my hand but also up my arm and sometimes in my shoulder. 'Flicking' etc doesn't ease it. In the mornings I can't feel my hand. Other things affect ot too but not all the 'usual' things apparently! I also get 'tingling' in my legs and sometimes a numb area on the bottom of my right foot - did tell them all this.

What do you guys think? I'm a little confused now and waiting for appt with 1st doc. Take care all. Cherry :blowkiss:
cherryblossom
UKFM Member

PreviousNext

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems