hypermobility

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

hypermobility

Postby freckles » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:36 pm

i was not sure where to post this one, but on last visit to rheumy he said my joints were hypermobile, is this another sympton of fibro or are you born with hypermobile joints? and if do we all have them and could they be a reason for the amount of pain in the surronding muscles(ie they are being overworked or stretched) or am i just rambling again? :D :oops:
freckles
UKFM Member

Postby Corinne » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:44 pm

I have Hypermobilty Syndrome as well as FM & yes, it does seem to be common to have both.

It does put more strain on your joints & yes, the muscles have to work harder & this can cause pain, even without Fibro- so when you have FM amplifying the pain anyway, it really doesn't help :(

Have a look at this link for more info http://www.arc.org.uk/arthinfo/patpubs/6019/6019.asp
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Corinne
UKFM Member

Postby Arnu » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:40 am

I also have hypermobility I never even realised.

I've never been very athletic and sporty.

But when I went to see the Rheumatologist he asked if I had been a gymnast when I was a child I laughed and said I'd been a fat kid who hated sports.

My physiotherapist has also commented on it. She believe that it could be part of the pain problem.

My Tai'chi instructor has also mensioned that I am double jointed and I have to remember not to bend to far and end up out of step.

The strange thing is I'd never noticed until last summer because this level of flexability is normal for me.
Arnu
UKFM Member

Postby gillshutt » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:41 am

Arnu wrote:I also have hypermobility I never even realised.

Me too.. another thing I can blame my mum for :lol:
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Postby LinzWorld » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:27 am

Hypermbility isn't a symptom of Fibro, but a risk factor for developing Fibro. You can get info on Hypermobility Syndrome here.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

hypermobility

Postby princess P » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:11 pm

:( I also have hypermobile joints, it is a risk factor and makes your joints more likely to dislocate. My knee cap dislocated last may when I fell It was litrally on the side of my leg. I also hurt my back on the way down. This is when I started getting fibro symptoms. This can happen following trauma or injury. So somtimes being double jointed isn't that much fun. 8 years ago i was diagnosed with post viral fatigue syndrome which was more than rubbish as i has a young child at the time and was a single parent i made a very slow recovery. But have suffered from chronic pain on and off since. After my fall I felt all my PVFS symptoms come back amplified all at once this is when my g.p suggested it might be fibro, looking back this would explain last 8 years medical history.
Hi any one I have a preliminary diagnosis of chronic widespread pain syndrome, whatever that is but g.p. is convinced its F.M. Sending out good vibes to all . x
princess P
UKFM Member

Postby freckles » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:17 pm

thanks for all your replies it does all make more sense now, next time i am at Rugby club and hubby is having to put my toes back in place cos the cold weather from watching son play and walking on uneven ground makes them pop out,i know whats going on.lol though you have never seen so many queasy looking tough rugby players when thet come to see what his doing, its not often his on his knees in front of me!
freckles
UKFM Member

Postby LinzWorld » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:28 am

Lol. My husband once dislocated my wrist - never seen him look so green! :lol:
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Postby Lucy-Lemon » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:15 pm

it does mean you are more prone to injury, ie dislocations. and because the muscles have to work harder, they can tear which is painful in itself.

being bendy was sometimes great, but very rarely. my hands (which are the most flexible) made many people - both male and female - squeal :lol:

Lucy x
Lucy-Lemon
UKFM Member

Postby princess » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:26 pm

No not that i know of!!!
princess
princess
UKFM Regular

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems