facial pain

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

facial pain

Postby shrimp » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:05 pm

hi all

i am new here and was diagnosed with fibro last week...

i have read you can get facial pain as a symptom....? the reason i am asking is that the past few days i have pain in my jaw - the left side - the pain is right at the back of my mouth - where wisdom teeth are......its a pain and ache............last year i had a wisdom tooth coming thru on the right side and it gave me hell - but that was more throbbing pain......

i was wondering if this is fibro pain,,,,,,

any comments would be appreciated

many thanks
shrimp xxx
shrimp
UKFM Member

Postby velvet » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:22 pm

i would recommend getting it checked out by a doctor or a dentist - and make sure they DO check. one of the problems that arises with fibro is it is all too easy to put everything down to it - at its best this means an unnecessary pain (yes its true some pains are not inevitable lol) at its worst in means missing possibly life threatening conditions. both sufferers and doctors are guilty of doing this so do get it checked out.
velvet
UKFM Regular

Postby auroura » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:23 am

I have had 6 fillings in the last 2 weeks, result of lack of saliva due to meds. I had hardly any pain pre fillings, but since i have horrible pain in my jaw all over different parts of my jaw/mouth.
I have in the past also had a neuralgic pain down the left side of my jaw face and head.

sharon
Sharon

Bad is never good until worse happens
auroura
UKFM Member

Postby gillshutt » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:43 am

As Velvet said you need to get this checked out by your doc or dentist.. I would recommend your dentists as a first option. It could well be TMJD (temporomandibular joint dysfunction) which many people with FM also have. See HERE for more info.
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Postby Kayzee » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:46 pm

To echo the others get your dentist to check this out. I've had problems with temporomandibular joint dysfunction for a few years, initially a splint to wear at night time helped, but mine has flared up again and I'm due back at the Dental Hospital soon. The pain I get is down the jaw, across cheek bones, deep inside ears and more headaches and neckache recently. Trying not to open your mouth too wide and a soft diet helps a wee bit, along with some paracetomal - but your dentist can advise best.
Kayzee
UKFM Member

Postby Hay1ie » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:08 pm

Hi,

I get a lot of facial pain that i sometimes wonder is tooth related. I went to the dentist and I did have a dodgy wisdom tooth that was removed however the facial pain is still there :?

I tend to take the attitude that if the pain isn't on 1 specific tooth and is more of an ache that moves from top to bottom Jaw and around the teeth (altho stays on 1 side of the face) that it's my TMJ playing me up and an asprin usually sorts it out :D

Always best to see the dentist tho....just to be sure x
Just because I am in pain doesn't mean I am one! LOL
Hay1ie
UKFM Member

Postby samantha louise » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:10 pm

check with your dentist hun
samantha - louise
and my two little wiggles!
xxx

fuddle off... no,... YOU fuddle off!!
samantha louise
UKFM Regular

Postby Mr.A » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:08 pm

I've started to get pain down the right side of my face including my jaw. It's my newest symptom & if it continues I'll find a doctor.
Mr.A
UKFM Member

Postby groovy_chick » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:32 pm

Hi,

I get this a lot lately and have been for quite few years now. I am 90% convinced it's due to TMJ but have now discovered that I also have extremely tense, painful and knotty muscles in my neck around my shoulders and I know for fact when I press on the knots they are trigger points as they produce the same pain in my face/headache. I saw physio couple of days ago who did some acupuncture on my shoulder and offered to do ultrasound if it didn't get better.
I have some exercices to stretch these muscles too so will see how that goes. Otherwise when the pain/ache is bad no amount of paracetamol/diclofenac or whatever else does it :(
Nuts on the road! nim nim nim
groovy_chick
UKFM Member

Postby LinzWorld » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:37 pm

Have you looked tos ee if you can get myofascial release?
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Postby groovy_chick » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:40 pm

Hi Linz,

am seeing physio again next week for urgent follow up so might ask about massage as this is what my exercise scheme instructor suggested. Those are the only 2 people so far who believe I possibly have fibro so am gonna go with whatever they suggest lol
groovy_chick
UKFM Member

Postby shrimp » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:13 pm

the facial pain i had for couple of weeks has now gone..........its my feet hurting a lot now....!!!

shrimp xxx
shrimp
UKFM Member

Postby groovy_chick » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:36 pm

lol shrimp my feet/legs are always killing me...along with my neck/shouldres/elbows/hips...etc etc etc :(
groovy_chick
UKFM Member

Postby Mr.A » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:53 pm

LinzWorld wrote:Have you looked tos ee if you can get myofascial release?

Last time I checked the definition of myofascial pain, I thought I fit the description well because of the specific and isloated points of pain I get. The pain on my face appeared to be temporary, luckily.
Mr.A
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems