sicca symptoms aka dryness??

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

sicca symptoms aka dryness??

Postby wedesday mc haggis » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:12 pm

the rheumatologist has said fibromyalgia, im not convinced im not , im fibro and sjogrens syndrome, my bloods are fine, but same symptoms as fibro, very different treatment, difference between the two is dryness mostly, i have dry eyes , nose , mouth and vaginal dryness, im trying to find out how many fibro sufferes expereince this, to decide if i want to have a lip biopsy to confirm or deny sjogrens, lip biopsy means possible numb lip afterwards, so could all fibro sufferers anser me do you get dyness everywhere or not ??

thankyou in advance for your answers

T x
wedesday mc haggis
UKFM Member

Postby motherelephant » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:57 pm

i have only recently started with dryer skin ( had fibro for 40 years) but i put it down to menopause not fibro (im 52). The thing is fibro has so many different symptoms that it is difficult to know which are fibro related and which are not.There is also the case that we are all individual some react differently to meds ,different constitution diet lifestyle everything has to be taken in context.My friend has recently been diagnosed but she has had problems with dryness since she was a teenager but didnt have fibro then.hope you get the answer you are looking for. motherelle.
Like sunshine in the morning, may this brighten up your day and show you that you're thought of in a warm and loving way.
motherelephant
UKFM Regular

Postby auroura » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:23 pm

I was tested for the syndrome that makes you dry (sorry cant remember how to spell it) came back neg. I do suffer dry nose mouth mainly eyes sometimes. I have been told in past by docs it looks like i have this, and looks like i have arthritis, however my tests are always negative.

Sharon
Sharon

Bad is never good until worse happens
auroura
UKFM Member

Postby gillshutt » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:47 pm

It isn't a symptom of FM but dryness can also be caused by your meds. I suffer from dry skin and eyes also mouth but it's down to the tablets I take and I am menopausal I think (am being tested on Wednesday)
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Postby wedesday mc haggis » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:44 am

thankyou all for your replies, truly appreciate them.

apart from co codamol which doesnt touch the pain, im on no meds, rheymatologist said no treatment for fibro, possibly aymtriptyline but he knows it wouldnt work on me, think my way out of it lololol you have to laugh .

who knows you cant be sero negative sjogrens ( doesnt show in blood) why lip biopsy, i guess i ll likely go for it, and if its clear, then fibromyalgia alone it is, just treatment different for sjogrens , and i feel the lack of sleep and pain has how caused fibro too, alot of chronically ill ppl develop fibro ontop of their condition , who knows, taken me 30 years to get thus far, might take another few lolololol

anyways thanks all helps to know that there is at least some dryness in fibromyalgia sufferers

T x
wedesday mc haggis
UKFM Member

Postby cat123 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:57 am

hi haggis,i just wanted to tell you i suffer this dryness,i dont take much in meds only the odd cocodaml.my dr gave me a spray called saliveze mouth spray,it wets your mouth,but doesent stop the dryness.It helps when you get desperate dry in the mouth..............cat
cat123
UKFM Member

Postby samantha louise » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:56 pm

can you get that over the counter cat
samantha - louise
and my two little wiggles!
xxx

fuddle off... no,... YOU fuddle off!!
samantha louise
UKFM Regular

Postby wedesday mc haggis » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:26 pm

thanks for the replies, good to know im not alone in dryness and it might just be fibromyaliga .

Ill try the spray see if it helps anythings worth a go :)
strage thought fibro and dryness is so like sjogrens and yet treated totally differently weird lol

T x
wedesday mc haggis
UKFM Member

Postby princess » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:29 pm

Yip all of the above!
princess
UKFM Regular

Postby Corinne » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:09 pm

Its perfectly possible to have both Sjogrens Syndrome or the milder version Sicca Syndrome AND Fibro- in fact they are quite common in people with Fibro.

Corinne x
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Corinne
UKFM Member

Postby wedesday mc haggis » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:58 pm

corrinne

thankyou, i just needed to be reassured i wanst side stepping a lip biposy and making matters for my health worse long term, im reassured that it can be fibro related, seems its not just my sense of humour that dry lolol

T x
wedesday mc haggis
UKFM Member

Postby hammy » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:12 pm

i have fibro and sjorgens ,have also been diagnosed with polymyalgia rhuematica , and the pills make the sjorgens worse as they make ur mouth etc even drier,

rivkax
hammy
UKFM Member

Postby wedesday mc haggis » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:16 pm

rivka

thankyou for the response, yup SJS seem to at some stage get fibro

had alot of great advice from the sjogrens world forum, some lovely helpful ppl there too, just to let you know

T x
wedesday mc haggis
UKFM Member

Re: sicca symptoms aka dryness??

Postby calorady » Mon May 23, 2011 8:55 am

Where can we get a skin biopsy with quick results? My husband has a skin rash and it's spreading rapidly - doctor took biopsy but he won't be seen again for 10 days. (Doctor is on vacation) Is there any way the biopsy could be done sooner? It looks like impetigo - it has blisters and leakage and every day he has new ones - in his eye lids, nose. If he has all of these lesions in a few days, what will he be like in 10 days? Very concerned - especially about the ones around his eyes.
Last edited by calorady on Wed May 25, 2011 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
calorady
UKFM Newbie

Re: sicca symptoms aka dryness??

Postby denys » Mon May 23, 2011 4:57 pm

Go to out of hours or ring NHS direct, Impetigo can be diagnosed and treated without a biopsy :goodluck1:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems