Post Nasal Drip............

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Post Nasal Drip............

Postby Ivyleaf » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:51 am

Anyone suffer with post nasal drip? Sounds funny I know but its where you get a lot of catarrah right up the back of your nose - too far back to blow and not far enough back to swallow - sounds disgusting but you get the picture.

The problem is going to bed - I'm a 'mouth breather' so obviously end up with a dry mouth and wake up coughing. I've been using those 'breath right' nasal strips which open up your nasal passages - they're not cheap so buy the Boots own brand I think they're better.

But - with the post nasal drip obviously 'stuff' is forever trickling down the back of your throat so I've always got a cough and catarrah. Coughing aggravates the intercostal muscles in my ribs and other places.

I'm just tired of not feeling well and always hurting - not a good day this morning :(
Ivyleaf

Postby gillshutt » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:28 am

I have it all the time, it could well be your sinuses.. maybe get it checked out if you are having headaches with it as it could be an infection ((xx))
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Postby auroura » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:20 pm

Yes i do, had it since i was 19. Its disgusting i also was diagnosed with a nasal ulcer year and a half ago, told it needed removing and biopsying, when the letter turned up at the Dr about 6 weeks later it said i was to use the nasal cream, hence still got the ulcer.

sharon
Sharon

Bad is never good until worse happens
auroura
UKFM Member

Postby anne1206 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:32 pm

I get this too, has only been in the last two months that it has been really bad :roll: wake up some mornings nearly choking, I have never smoked and stupidly thought something like this only happened to smokers, we live and learn. if only learning wasnt so disgusting and painful :roll:
Take care. Anne
durate et vosmet rebus servate secundis///>Carry on and preserve yourselves for better times
anne1206
UKFM Member

Postby LinzWorld » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:13 pm

Any chance that eithe Candida overgrowth or Myofascial trigger points could be an issue? Both can cause post-nasal drip.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Postby Ivyleaf » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:58 pm

Mmm - that's interesting, didn't know that. I too have had this problem since my 20s. No-one has ever suggested any treatment.

I had my tonsils out when I was 21 but my adenoids were left. My left tonsil has partly grown back (they can you know!).

But - all the 'throat' and 'ear' problems (blocked eustacian tube) are always on the right side. Tooth problems were always worse on the right too - a few now have been removed - tho I can withsle now !!!

Seriously, I'll have to read up about myofacial - because many of those symptoms I can relate to. God but this is such a complex illness to have - so many symptoms that mimick so many other problems - total nightmare. :?
Ivyleaf

Postby MCT » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:35 pm

I have had problems with this for years but have noticed it getting worse.

My GP changed my nasal spray to Nasonex recently & I now use at night before bed instead of using it in the mornings as I used to. I'm taking it at night as I was having coughing fits for hours on end in the early hours and even being sick with all the gunge. Apparently PND is now known as Upper Airway Cough Syndrome.

I still get the odd cough at night but it lasts minutes now rather than hours.
http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/FMClinics/

My get up and go just got up and went!!!

As you slide down the bannister of life, may all the splinters be facing in the right direction :)
MCT
UKFM Member

Postby princess » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:03 pm

Yip - but the dry mouth i have i think is due to my meds - but wake up choking during night.
So i take a drink to bed with me and sip it when i wake during the night - seems to have helped.
But since move i havent had any sinus problems - strange as we are in the middle of farm land, but no rape.
princess
UKFM Regular

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems