lost use of left arm and hand completely....

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

lost use of left arm and hand completely....

Postby shazbaz1971 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:49 pm

hi all

i have been diagnosed with fibro a year ago, having had many good and many bad days I have learnt to live with it altho found it hard to cope with it and accept as i was a PE teacher and part-time instructor in aerobics and the gym..

However for a while i was experiencing numbness n tingling in left arm and hand on n off for a while, on xmas eve i woke yet again with it numb and waited for it to come back to life but didnt so, i thought OK it will................no it didnt , 2 weeks later my hubby said you really should get to your doctors as i also kept falling over and my sight would suddendly go then come back , i did become anxious but just thought well its fibro or side affects to the meds i am on................

well i went to docs he listened , examined etc and then sat me down and looked at his notes on the screen he said well you have all the signs of MS - i was like WHAT !!!! I said no i have fibro he said, well your rhumo guy has questioned marked it at bottom of the last letter he received....

So i walked out of there in a daze, couldn't believe what i had just heard..............my doc also said it is common but unfortunate that some are diagnosed with fibro altho it's MS .............

i been having physio on my arm/hand and have regained some feeling but not all, last 2 digits still numb/dead , losing use of this arm/hand has made my life even more diffucult and last week i thought and felt as tho the end was near for me literally, with the intense leg pain and feet pain, and feeling so unwell, i couldnt walk had to use a stick which is even harder with just use of one hand!! however i feel better this week and go to see the neurologist on 18th march ..............

Has this hapenned to anyone else, been told had fibro when its MS or they got both i am really confused as to why my rhumo guy didnt tell me, just sent letter to my doc , i would not have known if i hadnt gone regarding losing use of my left arm/hand!!!

shaz

xxxxxxxxxx
shazbaz1971
UKFM Member

Postby princess » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:02 pm

Just to say i have read your post, poor you, but sorry dont have any advice for you this has never happened to me.
Hope someone else can help you or at least advice you honey
princess
princess
UKFM Regular

Postby shazbaz1971 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:06 pm

thanks anyway hun, i joined here last year when dx with fibro and been great help!!!

I think i may have posted this in the wrong link tho, sorry xxx not sure!

shaz
xxxxxxxxxxxx
shazbaz1971
UKFM Member

Postby Corinne » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:17 pm

Unfortunately you've gone through what so many of us worry about- Fibro symptoms are almost exactly the same as mild MS symptoms & until you have a bad relapse its not discovered.

I'm really sorry to hear that you've been diagnosed with MS, but good on your doctor for spotting in instead of passsing everything off as Fibro.

I hope the physio helps you regain more use of your arm & you get better treatment.

There have recently been some interesting threads about a treatment that seems to help many MS sufferers- although it hasn't been formally trialed yet. Its called LDN- here is a link about it-

http://www.ldnresearchtrust.org/default.asp

Best of luck with your treatment & feel free to join in on the forum still!

Corinne x
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Corinne
UKFM Member

Postby shazbaz1971 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:51 pm

thanks corrinne so much , i am with my neuro guy on wed 18th hun will ask him for it lol, well try anyway!!

Unfortunately i had bad relapse last week , when doc told me i was sent for an MRI really quick, then just 2 weeks had first meeting with nerologist and i had lesions on my spine, :cry: .....this became different ball game atho yeah your so right i had no idea that both fibro and MS are auto immune disorders and very similar, so now on different types of meds altho still taking the 125mg of amitrip and 60mg of cymbalta with loads new ones now .

Hopefully on 18th march i will get more support as the neuro said he didnt want to overload me wth so much at first as he could see i was so so shocked, so he just said go home take the new drugs and read all the leaflets , that was 10 days ago and off i go again this coming wednesday!!

thanks for yoru help and kind words

shaz
xxxxxx
shazbaz1971
UKFM Member

Postby Corinne » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:10 pm

Glad I could help even a little :oops:

Its only very recently that Fibro is starting to be linked to auto-immune diseases, most doctors in the UK still consider it not to be, but my personal belief is that it is.

In the US it is considered an auto-immune disorder. :roll:

Sorry you've had another relapse- maybe its related to the stress of finding out about the MS?

Wikipedia has alot of info about the different types of MS, if you want to find out more all in one place.

It sounds like you have some really good doctors on your case, which can only be a good thing!

As for the LDN, I dont know if its any good but I read up on it after some links were posted & it sounds worth trying- but obviously I'm not a medical professional, so its just an opinion.

Take care, & good luck with your appt on the 18th!

Corinne
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Corinne
UKFM Member

Postby shazbaz1971 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:41 pm

hi corinne

thanks once again hun xx

yeah i am lucky to have a brilliant family doctor, been with him since i was 8 years old so 30 years now lol

i will go look on wikepedia , thanks .

hope your well too

shaz
xxxxxxxxxxx
shazbaz1971
UKFM Member

Postby samantha louise » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:09 am

hope you start to feel a little better hun
xx
samantha - louise
and my two little wiggles!
xxx

fuddle off... no,... YOU fuddle off!!
samantha louise
UKFM Regular

Postby LinzWorld » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:37 am

Sorry to hear you've been diagnosed with MS. I'm a big believer in patients getting a copy of their medical records as we hear so often of doctors not telling the patients quite important things!

Btw, Fibro is NOT considered to be autoimmune by the top American experts. Not in the same way that Lupus is autoimmune anyway.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems