anxiety

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

anxiety

Postby derekh » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:28 pm

have been seeing a nurse therapist for years for anxiety,and obsessive compulsive disorder, i showed him a list of symptoms associated with fibro i found on a website on the internet .and one of the sympoms listed was obsessive compulsive disorder he couldnt believe it and the fact that i also had nearly all the other sympoms listed as well (i think the only ones i dont have is the female reproductive symptoms lucky escape there) have been putting my o.c.d ,depression,panic attacks down to anxiety but didnt know what caused the anxiety now we know its all down to the fibro so gave him a load of info that i have copied off various sites on the internet so he can get clued up on it
derekh
UKFM Member

Re: anxiety

Postby princess » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:31 pm

Anxiety and depression come with this illness unfortunately - but with all the pain and loss of normal life it can only be expected.
Sorry you are suffering.
But there is light at the end of the tunnel, not that you may feel like that just now.
With the right medication and Dr you should improve.
I have had both at the beginning of my illness, ended up with Agrophobia for 2 years, with the right medication i was standing in a desert on my own l year later, but 14 years on i am quite upbeat, just accept there is a lot worse in life than ME/Fibro.
princess
princess
UKFM Regular

Postby *Lisa* » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:13 pm

Hi

I have spoken to many FM sufferers with Anxiety. Anxiety comes under so many catagories... OCD/Agraphobia etc....

Theres a fantastic website called *NO PANIC* that i often visit and recommened

I too suffer Anxiety and have CBT which i have responded to and is great!!!

I find the illnesses agrivate each other like a circle... pain, anxiety,more pain , hightened anxiety etc... very exhausting!!
*Lisa*

Postby LinzWorld » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:47 am

Do be careful which websites you use though -some aren't all that great and list any old symptom that someone has had, even if it's not a symptom of Fibro!

Anxiety is linked to Fibro though - the over-stimulation of the Autonomic Nervous System that is a part of Fibro lends itself to making us anxious as we're on high alert all the time and our brains tend to race instead of letting us rest! Treating this can help the Fibro apparently, but treating depression will not (although sometimes you can treat both at the same time).
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Postby velvet » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:12 am

i have found that my anxiety comes and gos - but as i grew up with a severly depressed mother (probably would be diagnosed as bi polar now) i learned from an early age to be very concious of mental health. right now i am on citalopram 20mg which is helping - i have used it before for a couple of months - when the anxiety stops i stop the meds a short period later as i know only too well the dangers of becoming used to them. i am used to "self help" techniques for anxiety - but on the odd occasion they arent enough there is medication that can help if used carefully.
velvet
UKFM Regular

Postby princess P » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:43 am

Although i cant completly removemyself from being anxious, it totally floors me when all the adreniline and stuff has dampened and i feel really bad for weeks. Its ok to feel anxious this is a horrible illness but its importiant to try and have some hope for yourself and dont let this illness get you down too much. It is horrible feeling not being in control but given time it gets eisier to deal with as long as you are aware that only you can be in control of how you deal with it, keep your chin up. x
Hi any one I have a preliminary diagnosis of chronic widespread pain syndrome, whatever that is but g.p. is convinced its F.M. Sending out good vibes to all . x
princess P
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems