back problems......

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

back problems......

Postby cat » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:41 pm

not sure if ive put this in the right place but after a month or so of having terrible back pain where no painkillers r working im finally going to gp in the morning as since this worse pain than my normal back pain started ive been struggling to straighten my back and over the last 2 weeks i havent been able to straighten up and walk doubled over holding on to furniture or elbow crutches for dear life.
Im terrified of going to my gp as 11yrs ago i needed a back brace when i was pregnant with my third child and was told that if i had another child id land up in a wheelchair...needless to say i had another child who is now nearly seven and till recentlly been proud of the fact ive proved the gp wrong but now im not so sure my family and friends keep telling me that its probably treatable and that i might need a back brace for a while and in my reasoning mood im sure there right but in the small hours of the night im not sure at all

anyway thought id just share this with u all and would love to hear if anyone has had simular experiences

gentle huggs to everyone

Cat
You just have to keep going the world won't stop with you
cat
UKFM Member

Re: back problems......

Postby auroura » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:07 pm

Hi Cat, sorry your back is giving you so much pain, mines also not been right since December, when i slipped a disc. I saw a rheumatologist this morning and said to him could he please look at my back, he told me my back was not straight I needed physio to sort it out as it was putting extra strain on all the muscles close to my spine, luckily I like you finally gave in 3 weeks ago and asked my GP to do something, anything re my back. I also explained i had a bad pain going from my back round to my right hip, he said i had some sort of bursitis and gave me an injection, I hope i get some relief from this.

Good luck with docs, I really hope you can get some help, all the best.
Sharon

Bad is never good until worse happens
auroura
UKFM Member

Postby cat123 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:59 pm

hi cat,i have the back from hell,personally,if this brace helps to get you upright,i wouldent hesitate.Yes, ive worn one,not one of the most comfyist things are they.but also i thought it was worth mentioning to your gp,to ask , if you can go for hydro therapy,because thats whats got me upright again.I still cant bend down without extreme pain,but im upright,thanks to this hydro pool,exersize.I really hope you feel better soon.........the other cat 123
cat123
UKFM Member

Postby gillshutt » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:52 am

Hi cat.. I get this.. I have OA in my back as well as FM and once in a while it flares.. or they both do and the muscles go in to spasm all the time so I'm doubled up. At it's worst I had to spend a night sleeping with m headon the coffee table in the sitting room as it was the only position I could get comfortable. I get sciatica with it too.

I go and get diazepam which act as a muscle relaxants and do really help. I get 5mg ones for 5 days.. you can't get them long term because they are so addictive but I've had no problems on a 5 day course and if you catch it soon enough you may not need them all although it sounds like you have it bad.

You have my every sympathy, it's really awful ((xx)) Hope your doc sorts it out for you.

Gill x
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Postby LinzWorld » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:06 am

I have hypoerlordosis that trigger myofascial pain in my back and when it's bad or I'm tired, I can't stand up straight either. Clonazepam really helps me - and it's great for helping Fibro sleep too.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Postby princess P » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:44 pm

Im sorry your back is so bad does it flare up or is it constant? is it lower back pain above hips? It you know is horrible to have back pain esspecilly when people say 'oh its better to move around' You really should get it checked though, it might not be what you think, or as bad as you think. Kids eh what have they done to our bodies? they are never quite the same again, I hope you are ok :!: and you get on well,
Hi any one I have a preliminary diagnosis of chronic widespread pain syndrome, whatever that is but g.p. is convinced its F.M. Sending out good vibes to all . x
princess P
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:13 pm

Hi cat
hope the doc can give you some meds to help with your back pain.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby highlandlass » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:25 pm

Hi Cat

I get back pain too and on a couple of occassions I have passed out with the pain which is usually very low down and happens just as I get out of bed.

My GP just said 'pain can make you faint'.
highlandlass
UKFM Member

Postby cat » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:09 am

thanks folks

Iwent to drs screamed as she examined me and was told its njust wear and tare and there isnt much they can do apart from hydro which i need to pay for she was going to send me for physio but on the grounds ive been signed off as unfit for physio 3 times now she doesnt see much point in sending me. She did up my gaba as im on a very low dose so over the next 3 weeks theyve to be doubled from 1x300 3times to eventually 2x300 3 times daily so far its taken the edge off still not upright but getting there.

Sorry it took me so long to reply to how i was getting on but everytime the gaba is uped im floored for a few days hopefully it wont be long before i can stand up straight and make my way to a hydro suite and steam room as i find the combo helps if i have the energy to get there and changed lol oh the joys of fibro.
You just have to keep going the world won't stop with you
cat
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:14 am

hope the back pain eases soon cat.x
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby Angel777 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:04 pm

Hi cat
Yes my back has been causing me problems in the last week or so, it seems to be the same as the pain and stiffness that has started in my ankles , I know its not the fibro as its a different stiffness and pain and its not the O.arthritis as I know that pain and stiffness,I think mine is ligament inflammation so just seeing how I can deal with it . You get to know the different symptoms with each condition don't you and when a new one appears i know how alarming it feels to begin with.
I use natural things as much as I can so just seeing what might be best to rub into this, I do use Tiger balm which does help daily and I take oils and things .
If you can recognise if it is something you have felt before or if it feels different?
Hope it soon eases and you find what it is . I know what you mean about going to the Gp and worrying about it being something else or something that might restrict you , but if it continues probably best to get it looked at . I do feel for you.
Angel xxx
Diagnosed with FM 2007 /Also have Osteoarthritis which I have had for many years .
Looking to connect with fellow FM people near me as well as making friends and having support from this forum .
Angel777
UKFM Member

Postby Pippat » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:25 am

Hi

I have had back problems for 9 years but it has only been bad for 2. When mine gets really bad I cannot stand up straight and get excruciating pain in my legs when I stand, it can stay like it for months then eases for a while then comes back. I also have scoliosis which apparently doesn't make a difference but I am sure it can't help.
Pippat
UKFM Newbie

Postby shazq » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:30 pm

have you tried a TENS machine? i think they are great, they have really helped me. you can buy the mobile ones from the chemist, they do a 2 or 4 pad, the 4 is better as it has more programs on it and you can set it at the right pulse.
think our one cost £38, but you can get them cheaper.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems