Diabetes

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Diabetes

Postby eggle » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:18 am

Hi all,
Sorry for not being around, I need a new PC and until I've saved enough pennies I'll just have to pop in using my daughters laptop when possible.

I've been very ill the last couple of months (more than normal) and it seems that I'm now also a type 2 diabetic and will need meds.
My GP asked if I walked under ladders or broke many mirrors in the past...

Are there any other FM readers/members that also are affected...I'm finding it quite hard because of the diet (low GI high fibre) ...not the best for IBS :(
eggle
UKFM Member

Re: Diabetes

Postby motherelephant » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:37 pm

So sorry to hear you are not well Eggle all i can do is send you abig cottonwool hug and hope you feel better soon.motherelle.x
Like sunshine in the morning, may this brighten up your day and show you that you're thought of in a warm and loving way.
motherelephant
UKFM Regular

Postby shazq » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:41 pm

sorry to hear you have not been well, diabetes on top of fibro must be horrible.
sorry i cant offer any advice.
but just wanted to say i hope you feel better soon.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby eggle » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:03 pm

Thanks all
Xxx
eggle
UKFM Member

Postby dobber » Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:56 pm

Hi eggle :wave:

FIRST OF ALL DON'T PANIC!!!!

I am a type two diabetic and although I have not been dx yet I do have fm symptoms. What meds have they put you on. are you on insulin? Be careful of what the diet people say and believe it or not, your Dr. I got most of my infomation from www.diabetes.org.uk They cover evrything. Be careful what you read on diabetes forums, they can confuse. You ARE alowed a little suger, but only a little, There is an argument going on at the moment with the 'professionals' about high or low carb diet. My nurse who is a diabetic specaliest say a good health diet and excerise is all you need, however this is differcult with fm. DON'T go buying special diabetic food it has been proven that they offer NO help for this condition and are full of salt and are very expensive. Try to cut salt out of your diet, cut way down on suger, and try to cut out fat. Eat small amounts regully and DON'T miss a meal!! Are you taking asprin? Has your dr given you a blood meter? You are allowed free persciptions, you need to fill out a form. Diabetes is personal and everyone is differant. There is a lot to take in but you don't have to do it all at once. If you need more help and you proberly will, pm me. Ask as many questions as you like I will try to help you. Oh, you must look after your feet, no joke i did say feet. Please read above web site my Dr who is a diabetic specialest recommended it to me. Is your Dr a dibetic specialest? Sorry about the spelling brain not working to well! :oops: :? :roll:

:hugs:
Dean
BEER the cause of and solution to all of lifes little problems ;-)
dobber
UKFM Member

Postby motherelephant » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:13 pm

Yes Eggle, Dobber is right it is extremely important that you take care of your feet .Any problem no matter how small must be treated immediately.A check with a chiropadist as soon as possible would be a good idea ,its also worth getting them to give you a guick lesson on how to cut your nails correctly,so no ingrown toenails.Hope all gows well.motherelle.x
Like sunshine in the morning, may this brighten up your day and show you that you're thought of in a warm and loving way.
motherelephant
UKFM Regular

Postby eggle » Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:25 pm

Thanks for the help,
I've only just been DX with diabetes last Wednesday, Ive been put on 1 metformin 500mg a day with my main meal,
My GP told me a action plan of things to come but fog and shock got in the way :oops:
I have got a blood test on the 24th with the phlebotomist’s and then see the GP on the 1st and then a trip to Wolverhampton hosp to see a Neuro in the afternoon for a EMG.
PHEW...

I came away with a leaflet and a pee bottle shocked

I've got 'post-it' notes everyway of things to do!
eggle
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems