Anyone got low Ferritin levels?

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Anyone got low Ferritin levels?

Postby Pippat » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:12 am

Hi I was just wondering whether many other FM sufferers have low ferritin levels? I have had low levels for years, my dr says it is unrelated but then she said I can't have low ferritin levels without having low Iron levels yet I do! I don't think they test for in routine bloods as I have had to request it although they have started testing during pregnancy in recent years.

Drs say they don't know very much yet they are quick enough to say things arn't related to FM, how do they know??????
Pippat
UKFM Newbie

Re: Anyone got low Ferritin levels?

Postby groovy_chick » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:10 pm

yep me!
Had extensive bloods done a month ago and it transpired I had low ferritin and borderline Hb levels. GP stuck me on course of ferrous gluconate (delicious NOT) and am going for review tomorrow. He also said my muscle/joint pains and feeling washed out could well be due to low ferritin and not fibro :roll: :dunno:
I used to donate blood regularly until fairly recently so maybe ferritin is low due to that. Ferritin is the measure of your long term iron storage and low levels are pretty good indicator of iron defficiency. You can have low ferritin and normal Hb or low Hb and normal ferritin or high ferritin and normal Hb.
Are you on any supplements and regular checks?
Nuts on the road! nim nim nim
groovy_chick
UKFM Member

Postby auroura » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:06 pm

I have almost no ferritin left, although like you i was NOT anemic, mine was due to excessive menstral bleeding. I was bleeding almost non stop and had an operation to lazer the whole of my lining of my womb. This worked, i havent had a period for almost a year now.
Sharon

Bad is never good until worse happens
auroura
UKFM Member

Postby samantha louise » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:22 am

oooh sharon that op sounded painful
samantha - louise
and my two little wiggles!
xxx

fuddle off... no,... YOU fuddle off!!
samantha louise
UKFM Regular

Postby groovy_chick » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:43 pm

ooooh it does sound painful but was it worth it? I would quite fancy not having period for that length of the time
Nuts on the road! nim nim nim
groovy_chick
UKFM Member

Postby Pippat » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:13 pm

Sounds worth it to me. I have quite heavy bleeding but only for a few days. I have been on ferrous glmate on and off for years but everytime I stop my levels drop again. Dr doesn't seem interested in finding out why.
Pippat
UKFM Newbie

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems