Flare Ups and Duration

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Flare Ups and Duration

Postby armanisgirl » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:39 pm

Just wondering how often everyone has a flare up, and how long does yours last? I've been having a flare up for over a week - just as I think I'm over the worst of it I come tumbling back down again. I wouldn't mind if I was 'overdoing it' every day, but I've spent the last week doing as little as possible! Getting quite fed up now!
armanisgirl
UKFM Member

Re: Flare Ups and Duration

Postby princess » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:13 pm

Havent had a bad flare up for a while, but i have had 3 lung infections and they took weeks and weeks to even get up and about properly.
But i get small flares that last about 5 days with the horrific pain etc., and then about 2 weeks to just get over.
Maybe like this illnes we are all different.
princess
princess
UKFM Regular

Postby enigma » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:54 pm

I was just thinking the same thing, thanks for posting this.
I have been bad for about 5-6 weeks and only had slight better days, i went to the local shop about 3 mins by car and lasted ten mins before having to come home, didnt even get any petrol as too dizzy.
I am newly diagnosed so still learning, was wondering if this was normal, its awful isnt it

LOve and hugs xx
enigma
UKFM Member

Postby Corinne » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:25 pm

I have spent the better (or worse!) part of a year more in a flare than not, its only in the last couple of months I have started to pick up again.

I'm still flaring up on & off but I am having alot more better times at last.

Most flares only last for a few days or weeks, but most people find that each longer flare leaves you a little worse off than before & it takes a lot of effort to try & pick yourself back up again. Its a slow process but it can be done.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Corinne
UKFM Member

Postby armanisgirl » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:50 pm

Thanks for replies. I've only ever had quite mild flares before, then had 2 years of relative stability, and for last year some more mild flares, but nothing like I'm having just now. Last week was awful, to the point I asked for painkillers for the first time (got diclofenac and dihydrocodiene) as I honestly couldn't move, which helpd me cope with a planned day out on Saturday, but since then it's been torture. I've done as little as possible to try to recover from Saturday, but it's not really helping :( My o/h said earlier, oh why don't you go lie down for an hour? (Like an hour would help!) I was so miserable I struggled not to burst into tears! As this is my worst flare ever, I just wondered how long flares could last for. Every part of me hurts, I'm exhuasted, grumpy etc. I'm not one for openly whinging about being in pain 24/7 at the best of times, but really can't help but whinge just now! Like so many of us, I leanrt to 'live' with the pain, and even managed giving birth to my last child (ok nearly 9 years ago lol) with no pain relief (not through choice either!!), so I'm feeling like a wimp just now if that makes sense? God I so hate being like this!!
:needhug:
armanisgirl
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:50 pm

I know we are all different and react different to the meds we are on, so having flares will be different as well.
Some weeks i am in so much pain that i can hardly do anything, that can last 3 or 4 days.
Other days i might be lacking in energy and find everything is a big deal, i could just curl up and want to sleep.
Depending on how active i have been, will depend on how long the flare will last.
I am in pain everyday.
Fibro has affected my life, there is not a day goes by without fibro causing something.
The only way to see it through is to just rest and take painkillers, there are times when i feel the meds are not working, but there is nothing more the GP can give me, so i just have to grin and bare it. :cry:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby groovy_chick » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:32 pm

There is no pattern to my flares but lately I seem to have them lot more often :( They tend to last anything from few hours to few days and intensity also varies. Sometimes they happen because I have overdone things :roll: other times just because they do :dunno:
Also tend to get bad flares when I am unwell with cold or other infection, it's almost as if the rest of my body goes in sympathy with the existing infection :dunno:
I find that once I am having a flare no painkillers work so might as well just forget it and get on with it :roll: :dunno:
Nuts on the road! nim nim nim
groovy_chick
UKFM Member

Postby motherelephant » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:11 pm

my last really bad flare was just before christmas when every single part of me was in such terrible pain.I was layed up for days.I have pain in one form or other every single day ,varying degrees.I suppose after 40 years you learn to live with it.A big cottonwool hug to anyone who is hurting today.motherelle xxxxx :hugs:
Like sunshine in the morning, may this brighten up your day and show you that you're thought of in a warm and loving way.
motherelephant
UKFM Regular

Postby samantha louise » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:23 pm

thanks motherelle hehe x my hips are horrendous
samantha - louise
and my two little wiggles!
xxx

fuddle off... no,... YOU fuddle off!!
samantha louise
UKFM Regular

Postby armanisgirl » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:43 pm

Awww thanks motherelle :hugs: my everything hurts just now! Tried to explain to a friends husband what fibro is like. He said the worst pain he has ever had was severe toothache, so I said, think of that toothache as being in every joint/muscle in your body, add all day/night exhaustion and that's us on good days! :lol:
armanisgirl
UKFM Member

Postby Margaret Walker » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:21 pm

I have suffered from Fibromyalgia for over 18 years now. As you can imagine, every day is hard & I seem to be getting weaker and more tired every day. However, regarding flare ups, I seem to get them every 2-3 years or so. For the past month I have been feeling so bad, I didn't dare to try to drive my car. Everything seemed to come to a head last weekend. I ended up at the Out of Hours G.P. clinic at the hospital, on the Saturday morning, but Sunday night was so bad I had to send for the doctor on Monday. On top of everything else, I had picked up an infection from somewhere & as we all know, with having no immune system this had really dragged me down. Luckily, I'm now feeling half human again, after some strong anti-biotics.
Therefore, all I can say is, when you are newly diagnosed, by my experience, you will have several flare ups until your body starts adjusting itself. When you've had it as long as me, the flare ups are further apart, but unfortunately by now, I have had to give up work & am practically incapable of doing housework or cooking etc. Thank God for my husband who has been with me all the way.
Margaret Walker
UKFM Member

Postby motherelephant » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:44 am

Mmm dont know if thats the case for everyone margaret.I have had fibro for 40 years and although in the past i have gone into remission ,the flares havn't necesserily got further apart.motherellexx
Like sunshine in the morning, may this brighten up your day and show you that you're thought of in a warm and loving way.
motherelephant
UKFM Regular

Postby gillshutt » Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:18 am

I think it's one of those things where everyone is different and it depends on what you do (work, overdoing it etc) and how you pace yourself as well as if you have found drugs to help you.

I find I usually get one day flares every weekend as I force myself to keep going though the week... ave the kids to look after. As soon as hubby is home all day I crash, I'm even ok Saturday mornings... it doesn't start until hubby is up :lol:
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems