FM and Hypermobility?

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Re: FM and Hypermobility?

Postby Kareen » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:42 am

I have had HMS since I was about 6 but wasn't diagnosed until I was in my 20s. I have just had to get used to the disclocations, falling over with torn ligaments, etc in my ankles but things have got worse over the past year since I was in a car crash and I was then diagnosed with FMS on Monday after being referred back to a rheumy. Although HMS is still a big contender with some of my joints (ankles, knees and shoulders) most of my joints have now stiffened up quite a bit after years of injuries.

The explanation i was given is that when you hurt yourself your body's way of protection is for the muscle surrounding the hurt area to go into spasm. This sends a message to your brain to say you are sore and the brain should then send message back to muscle to relax to allow area to heal. After years of damage due to the HMS the messages seem to get mixed up and the muscles stay in spasm which causes chronic pain throughout the body and therefore FMS. Makes some sense but don't know what others think.
Kareen
UKFM Newbie

Postby tireesix » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:34 pm

I have EDS arthritis and fibro (as well as IBS, vit D deficiency and PCOS)!!!!!!

Hahahahahahaha. People always used to say if I wasn't careful I would fall apart and then I got diagnosed with everything!!!!!
Katie X
tireesix
UKFM Member

Postby tireesix » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:41 pm

Sophiex wrote:I'm sorry for bumpng an old thread up but I didn't think it was worth starting a new one. :oops:
I've just seen a rheumatologist who thinks I have elements of Hypermobility syndrome. He was extremely unhelpful and I don't fully understand this condition, despite looking at the website that he told me to. :? I used to be very bendy but I'm not particularly bendy anymore, although I am very clumsy and physically, I'm always feeling weak.

I tore ligaments in my ankle over a year ago and I'm still struggling to walk on it normally, I wonder if it's linked to being hypermobile. :?: I see a fantastic physiotherapist for my ankle and I'm going to let her know what the rheumatologist said, she's been giving me gentle exercises for my pains elsewhere but feels I may need more specific help such as; hydrotherapy. My GP is useless and the rheumatologist wasn't overly helpful either, he just said 'gentle exercise'. I'd love to be able to exercise but the pain can be unbearable at times and I spend most of my time asleep or resting anyway. :|

Sorry this was longer than I meant it to be!

I had a really bad accident with my ankle and despite physio etc, nothing sorted it until I had an operation a couple of years back, I think its called the Evans procedure, they snip through ligaments, graft one bit onto another ligament and thread the rest of a ligament (or tendon) through a hole they make in the bone and then secure it. I have very few problems with it now, it can still be a PITA but no where near like it was before.
Katie X
tireesix
UKFM Member

Postby normalnutter » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:29 pm

Great something else for the list, at least i know im not pregnant :wave:
ali13 wrote:Hi there, I'm just wondering do many of you suffer from this particular combination? I was diagnosed last year and have since been trying to keep it together (literally, as any with HMS will know!). I find it hard to know when I am suffering from FM pain and when I have really injured my joints. I also find it hard to get my GP to recognise problems caused by the HMS, instead they put it down to 'just' fibromyagia.

There's an interesting school of thought at the moment on whether FM is a wrong diagnosis for people with HMS as it also causes Chronic Fatigue, pain and IBS (stretchy bowels!). I don't really know about this as up until now I have tried to separate my symptoms and had never given any thought as to whether they were from the one condition. :dunno:

Either way, both conditions are miserable enough without having both! It's hard to exercise to keep my joints conditioned with the fatigue and pain of FM. Anyone else?
normalnutter
UKFM Member

Postby tireesix » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:30 pm

normalnutter wrote:Great something else for the list, at least i know im not pregnant :wave:
ali13 wrote:Hi there, I'm just wondering do many of you suffer from this particular combination? I was diagnosed last year and have since been trying to keep it together (literally, as any with HMS will know!). I find it hard to know when I am suffering from FM pain and when I have really injured my joints. I also find it hard to get my GP to recognise problems caused by the HMS, instead they put it down to 'just' fibromyagia.

There's an interesting school of thought at the moment on whether FM is a wrong diagnosis for people with HMS as it also causes Chronic Fatigue, pain and IBS (stretchy bowels!). I don't really know about this as up until now I have tried to separate my symptoms and had never given any thought as to whether they were from the one condition. :dunno:

Either way, both conditions are miserable enough without having both! It's hard to exercise to keep my joints conditioned with the fatigue and pain of FM. Anyone else?

I dunno, pregnancy kinda eased things for me a bit, well, the last pregnancy did!
Katie X
tireesix
UKFM Member

Previous

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems