Going to the dentist

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Going to the dentist

Postby armanisgirl » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:44 am

I really need to go to the dentists - again. But the thought is making me feel quite ill. I have suffered from recurring abcesses since I was 12 (touch wood, haven't had one for a while!) and have lost a couple of teeth as a result. I also have very weak enamel in my teeth (twin brother got the strong teeth :x ). I have had a few bad experiences, which has led to what I guess is now a phobia. My last dentist (took me 5+ years to finally go to register with him) was very understanding and patient with me, and fixed my awful teeth. I say fixed, it was more of fillings to patch them up, but they looked lovely. But, for even one filling, I needed 6 injections, and I could STILL feel the drill. At my last appointment, following the 6 injections, I had one tooth removed (back tooth) and I almost threw up on him (twice!) and almost passed out :( That was about 3 years ago, I've since moved away from there, and now don't have a dentist. My other half would be able to get me registered with his dentist, but I can't :cry: as I know the pain I'll be in. I constantly have a dull sort of toothache somewhere in my mouth, which I wonder is fibro connected. But I also wonder, does anybody else have such a terrible time with injections, in that the can have loads and still feel the treatment being done to the point it's like you haven't had any injections? I ask, as I know us Fibromates often are more sensitive to pain. The teeth that were previously 'fixed' are now starting to 'unfix' and look unsightly (well, I think they are :( ) and I'd like to get them all out. My friends dentist has said once he'd looked at my teeth, if I want them all out he would agree to it, as it's my mouth and my pain. But I'm terrified to go, terrified to have them poking in my mouth with that prong thing, and terrified to get anything done, as I know I will still feel it, even though my face is frozen from eyeball to chin :cry:

If feeling pain after injections is quite normal for us, then I can at lest pre-warn the dentist. Help!
armanisgirl
UKFM Member

Re: Going to the dentist

Postby shazq » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:47 pm

sorry to hear you have had bad times with dentists.
i don't have any problems going. i don't think i suffer any more then normal with injections.
it does sound like you have picked the wrong dentists in the past.
try to relax as you will stress yourself out and that will make you worse. if you explain to your new dentist what has happened to you in the past, iam sure they will be more gentle on you.
good luck.xx
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby princess » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:03 pm

My front tooth has cracked right upwards - its was root treated years ago when my wee girl was 18months and came back and hit me with her head. then it got a small filling - and now well i guess it will need to come out.
I feel that my teeth are much worse since i came off HRT that i was on for nearly 25 years - yes honestly i had no oestrogen at 28 and had to be put on an american non progesteron tablet. /was very happy on it but i started growing facial hair and got very spotty, so had to come off it. This year is the first i have managed to go without tablets but still have internal cream - so still have the bad skin.
But back to teeth they were much healthier on the HRt - so i guess our meds can affect them
princess
princess
UKFM Regular

Postby armanisgirl » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:51 pm

So how sensitive to pain are you in the dentists? How many injections do you get, and once you have them, do you still feel the pain?

I'm sure my previous dentists have thought I'm making it up that I can still feel pain after 6 injections, but although my face was frozen, I still felt horrendous pain when they drilled etc. maybe I'm just abnormal :lol: :dunno: :lol:
armanisgirl
UKFM Member

Postby cat » Wed May 06, 2009 9:41 am

i have terrible problems at the dentist to just get a check up takes 4 appointments as they hav to numb my mouth before they come near me im very lucky though as my dentist is very kind and understanding and even with loads of injections i still feel everything to the point that my next check up im being sent to the dental hosp so that they can just knock me out do the work then pump me full of painrelief for me coming round........i think this is a bit drastic but as my dentist says she is scared incase she hurts me to much and i accidentlly punch her as i always lie there with my fists clenched - which i didnt realise i did - i used to find that focusing on something in ur mind that u love like ur ideal beach or ur children before they started answering bk was very helpful its just been recentlly that even that isnt working now.........but i can honestlly say that if u find a good dentist then that makes all the difference
You just have to keep going the world won't stop with you
cat
UKFM Member

Postby samantha louise » Wed May 06, 2009 9:57 am

i hate dentists they terrify me xx
samantha - louise
and my two little wiggles!
xxx

fuddle off... no,... YOU fuddle off!!
samantha louise
UKFM Regular

Postby luuluu » Wed May 06, 2009 9:39 pm

I'm not scared of going to the dentist but I avoid it because of the pain just a check up leaves me in. The seat/couch thing kills my back and as soon as I tip my head back and open my mouth my face and jaw feels like its gone into cramp. I feel like I can't breath properly with my mouth open. If I need treatment my dentist is really nice about my fibro and has even done fillings and extractions with my sitting up straight (apparently this is more difficult for them) as I couldn't lay for long enough. He always does a scale and polish when I go and even that is excrutiatingly painful afterwards my teeth are on edge for 2/3 days. Grrrrrrrr at stupid teeth they're nothing but a nuisance :evil:

luuluu
xxxxx :hugs:
what other people think of me is really none of my business
luuluu
UKFM Member

Postby princess » Thu May 07, 2009 7:42 pm

I ws there today he has managed to fill my tooth, but this is the last time as it has ben root treated 15 years ago and now both sides are gone, so i have a middle bit of tooth that is empty - so £17 to get it fixed and if it goes again then it has to come out ugh!

70 miles round trip to get to my dentist - can even get on a list here so had to keep my old dentist for the moment and thats 3 years now.

princess
princess
UKFM Regular

Postby armanisgirl » Wed May 13, 2009 5:18 pm

:yikes: :yikes: OMG I've done it! well, a friend has lol. She managed to get me an appointment with her very nice dentist. I go next Thursday at 2pm. Already feeling sick, in fact, felt sick when she told me about the appointment! Both she and OH are coming with me; hope they know they'll have broken bones in their hands by the time I get off that chair! And thats just for the new patient checkup!). Will let you know what he says regarding getting all my teeth out! I'm hoping he'll be of the same opinion as me, that they can't really keep patching them up when they are so weak. Anyone got a few spare valiums for my appointment? :lol: :lol: :lol:
armanisgirl
UKFM Member

Postby Angel777 » Thu May 14, 2009 12:26 pm

Hi
I sympathise with you.
A suggestion, how about going to see your Gp and getting a referral to the hospital dentist dept , they can then give you an anaesthetic for treatment . As you have a chronic condition that makes you unable to go to the normal dentist, as most high street dentists are not allowed to use the anaesthetics that the hospital dentsists are .

The last time I went, the dentist had so many problems because of the fibro affecting my mouth and jaw muscles that he referred me to the hospital .

Angel
Diagnosed with FM 2007 /Also have Osteoarthritis which I have had for many years .
Looking to connect with fellow FM people near me as well as making friends and having support from this forum .
Angel777
UKFM Member

Postby armanisgirl » Thu May 14, 2009 7:22 pm

Hi Angel,

Dentist has said (via friend) that once he's had a look at my teeth, got history etc, if I want them out, he'll get it organised no problem, and that I would need a general anaesthetic anyway. So take it that means he'll refer to hospital orthodontics - can't wait (even though I'm 'bricking' it!) - just want a pain free mouth and the ability to :D again lol. (They're not that bad yet that I don't smile, but I broke the corner off another tooth the other day, dunno what on though! So they deffo need to come out). Might take before and after pics :lol: :lol: Going to take some painkillers (the ones with dehydrocodeine in them!) before I go on Wednesday, so hoping I'll be relaxed and able to allow him to have a look in my mouth!
armanisgirl
UKFM Member

Postby princess » Thu May 14, 2009 7:40 pm

I would rather have an operation in hospital, than go to the hospital. But i guess a lot of people my age are scared, as when we were young they just slapped the mask on you, and when you stopped struggling they just pulled your teeth.
there was no sympathy for children then in the 50's - just grin and bear it work.
I had a lot of adult teeth taken out, which could now have been sorted, but it was normal to have a plate with some teeth on it even as a teenager then.
Also good food was not on the menu as i was born after the war, we had food but it wasnt good after the rationing.
I just remember apples and oranges no bananas or chocolate.
My hubby's grandad had a barbers, so they got a lot of black market food and he talks of being one of the kids who got a banana and chocolate every week.
Well thats my lot hahahahah
princess
princess
UKFM Regular

Postby zadok238 » Tue May 26, 2009 9:49 pm

Sorry to hear all these pain problems re the dentist. I hope you all get sorted. Incidentally there is a limit to how much LA you can take related to your weight and 6 full cartridges sounds about the limit- after this it would probably make you sick and make the pain worse even.
zadok238
UKFM Member

Postby armanisgirl » Wed May 27, 2009 4:44 pm

Hi zadok,

My last dentist did say he was unable to give me any further injections once I'd had 6! I had 3 of one kind and three of another, but still felt the treatment :( and dentist was at a loss as to what to do. I told him to finish the treatment, as it was the last session of several appointments. I lay there in complete agony, almost throwing up (he had to stop twice as he also feared I was going to be sick), had tears streaming down my face and just wanted to pass out! When it was over, I was sobbing and apologising for how I was and for almost being sick on him lol. Must admit, he was very good about it, but don't think he's ever had a patient quite as bad as me!

I am so not looking forward to beginning my new lot of treatment :( OH is being great as he's not hugely fond of dentists either lol, so does understand how I'm feeling, plus he's coming with me, as I know I wil be too shaken to drive back home.

I'm still a bit fed up at not having managed to persuade new dentist to take them out; I had a bacon butty this morning and have managed to break yet another tooth! It's only a tiny bit, but it feels like it's huge (always does in the mouth lol) and am paranoid more of it will break off. I could understand if I was eating hard boiled sweets or something, but it's things like bread, toast or crisps my teeth are breaking on. :( I know I grind my teeth in my sleep as well, which probably doesn't help! I had a look on the dental website and saw a bit about being able to get mouth guards for night time to protect teeth from grinding in sleep, so will have to ask if I can get one made, see if it makes any difference.
armanisgirl
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Wed May 27, 2009 5:46 pm

just be careful you don't get an infection in the tooth.
I have a little hole in one of my double tooth at the back, my dentist did fill it last time i went but it has fallen out again.
Saying that i think i am due to go back next week, must check on that.
Good luck with going back to see your dentist.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems