Giving Birth

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Giving Birth

Postby NatashaK » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:22 am

Hi everyone,
I'm interested in any women with FM who have given bith naturally and how their FM reacted to it.
I had my son 18 months ago, and I have to say that giving birth greatly traumatised me, mainly because I underestimated the intensity of the pain. To be honest, I thought that as I lived with pain on a daily basis, I'd be able to handle labour pain no problem - boy was I wrong! However the worst part was how much of a flare up I had after the birth. I was in total agony for about a week and could hardly move the cramps were so bad. I coudln't look after my son at all, and this coupled with sleep deprivation led to me developing post natal depression.

What bothers me the most about it, is how no-one, including myself or my husband, gave any thought to how labour and giving birth would affect my FM. It improved drastically during pregnancy so I sort of forgot how bad it could be.

Now I'm scared to have another baby, in case it is so bad again after labour and leads to another bout of post natal depression. I think a C-section would be the best option for me and other FMS women.
NatashaK
UKFM Member

Re: Giving Birth

Postby puzz1ed1 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:00 pm

Hi Natasha

changing hats here for a second, you might want to give the Disabled Parents Network Helpline a call on 0300 3300 639 (9 for general helpline or 1 for me) - we can hopefully put you in contact with people who have been through it all already.... and come out the other side!

Steve
(DPN Operations Manager & FMAUK Co-ordinator, London/Essex.... among other things!)
Steve Westrop
Project Manager, FMSupport
http://fmsupport.org.uk
Operations Manager,
Disabled Parents Network
puzz1ed1
UKFM Member

Postby princess P » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:31 pm

Hi Natasha, im sorrry you had such a bad time during labour and postnatally, :( I have had 3 very differant labours. No two are ever the same, a lot of women probobly suffer i think from post traumatic stress after giving birth if they have had a hard time. It is really good to talk about your experiance as it helps you to move on from it and look at it in a differant context :) . C sections are not the answer unless you absolutlly need one hun, any surgery is risky and a lot of people who suffer from FM don't react well to anasthetic. I would rather go through labour any day than the pregnancy aspect, c we are all differant. With my second baby it was total drama i went into prem labour and developed pre eclampsea, i had to be flown of the island by air ambulance to a hospital on the mainland, but i got so ill so rapidly i was in the right place :yikes: This labour was hard as i was so ill i wasn't allowed to move from bed and was also aware of babys heart rate dipping. It was distressing for my partner to also see me like this :cry: so tara was born weighing 3lbs 14 oz. She was and is fine and all about the drama. :lol: but it took me a long time to get over this i was away from my other child for a month while tara was in SCBU. i wasn't well enough to c her until she was 3 days old. I worried all through my 3rd and last if the same would happen again but thankfully it didn't and i have 3 healthy kids to show for all the hard work. P.M.me i have loads more on the subject. :)
Hi any one I have a preliminary diagnosis of chronic widespread pain syndrome, whatever that is but g.p. is convinced its F.M. Sending out good vibes to all . x
princess P
UKFM Member

Postby Elsbeth » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:24 am

I had a baby 11 months ago and I had to have a c-section and I have to say it doesn't make that much dofference. The pain alone from the section was enough to start a flare up of the Fibro. I also was much better when I was pregannt though, up until the last 2 weeks I was pretty much pain free which was lovely, then for a few months after I was in a better way but by the time my hormones began settling down again I was bad lots.

C-sections are really not the easier option at all which is a shame as it would seem we suffer either way.
Elsbeth
UKFM Member

Postby shrimp » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:46 pm

i had twins delivery by c section in feb 07 - and then my fibro symptoms started - diagnosed few months ago after telling GP for 18 months i had something wrong......i think it was maybe the epidural that kick started my fibro ?!....i have no proof but seems strange i had c section and within days strange things started happening !!!!!.....

shrimp xx
I like to make people laugh xxx
shrimp
UKFM Member

Postby armanisgirl » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:05 pm

many symptoms ease during pregnancy due to the increase of hormones, though for some the pain does worsen.

When pregnant with my oldest, I just felt exhausted, but not too much pain. Even during labour I wasn't in agony, though did have a bit of a time with it due to impatient midwives telling me to push when I didn't want to! The end result was my son became distressed, I had to have an episiotomy (sp?) and delivered when only 7cm dilated - and all so midwives could finish their shift before he was born!

With my middle child, again, pregnancy was quite straightforward, though I did get some leg/pelvic pain. But the contractions - OMG! I had virtually none in my abdomen, and all of them in my back! Due to a back injury several years before, this was unbearable. To top it all, after being told he'd be born shortly, the bloomin contractions stopped completely! So the midwife broke the waters to start them off again! After the birth, I was exhausted again, and started to feel what were probably small flare ups. But I still didn't know I had fibro by this point.

Then, during my pregnancy with my daughter, I was ill. And I mean ill, all the way through. Morning sickness became morning noon and night sicknes, and eventually eased around 5 months. Within a week I had a sickness & diahorrea bug. A couple of weeks after getting over that, I had a very bad influenza, which left me bed-bound ofr 2 weeks. Almost as soon as I got through that, I developed chronic heartburn, and couldn't eat anything wihout it coming back on me! I remember being so depressed during my pregnancy, and told the midwife I thought I had ante-natal depression, and she told me to grow up! I also kept saying I was worried as I thought the baby was small, and she measured my bump and said baby would be at least 9lbs! I also had a lot of pelvic pain and sciatica type pain, which she said was because I was 'like Slack Alice down there as it's my 3rd pregnancy!" (Now there's a way to send someone onto the derpression road!). When I was 4 days overdue, I had a routine hospital appointment, where the docotr said baby was too small and I had no waters, so baby had to be born 'there and then' kind of thing. I wasn't allowed hom, was put on a drip, and had my daughter 2 hours later. I had little in the way of contractions til near the end, at which point I felt a contraction but it didn't register on the monitors, yet ones I didn't feel did show! By the time I felt things were getting a bit on the painful side, I was refused my pethidine injection, as her head was showing! 2 pushes later and she shot out like a bullet :lol: She was only 5lb 4oz, and a bag of bones; skin shedding like a snake as she was so dry. I had no pain relief and can honestly say that delivery was my easiest and favourite out of the the children! Prior to finding out I was pregnant, I had some obvious symptoms, which I was referred to rheumy for, but first appointment wasn't until my daughter was 2 weeks old. She was 6 years old by the time fibro was finally diagnosed. In between that, the aches and pains got worse, the exhaustion got worse and the dread of each day set in.

Every pregnancy can be different, regardless of fibro. The increase of hormones can ease the symptoms, but then again, it can make them worse. had I known during pregnancy I had fibro, I might have paced myself a lot better, which may or may not have helped. If I had the option of a C-section, then it would only have been as an emergency, as any surgery can make conditions and symptoms worse, but C-sections are classded as major surgery.

There's no easy way to know how another pregnancy would affect your fibro. I guess things depend on your desire to have more children; if you did have a 'bad' pregnancy, would you be able to cope? If you had a 'good' pregnancy, could you cope afterwards with post-pregnancy flares? But you could have a great pregnancy and post pregnancy. There really is no telling unfortunately. Regardless of which type, it's importnant to have a good support network during and after pregnancy anyway. Sorry, but nobody, no doctors, not us, not even you, can predict how you would be with another pregnancy. But one thing to remember is, you know you have fibro, and that would be in your ante-natal notes, which may help in how a pregnancy is treated.
armanisgirl
UKFM Member

Postby NatashaK » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:45 pm

Thanks for your replies and opinions.
I have to say that I still think a c-section is the best option for me in the future. I have had abdominal surgery before to remove my gall bladder, and recovery from that was ok. Painful for about a week, but no where near the pain and debilitation I suffered after labour.
Fibro was on my ante-natal notes in my first pregnancy but it did not make one jot of difference as to how things were managed as no-body knew how it would be affected. Next time round may be different though.
I just don't think I could go through the trauma of a vaginal birth again and how it flared my FM.
NatashaK
UKFM Member

Postby nobby » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:38 am

My fibro didn't get better in my pregnancy though some of the associated issues like allergies did. I didnt' have a choice but to give birh completely naturally because my labour was a lot shorter then expected (first baby 4 hours and 45 minutes) I got to the hospital 27 minutes before he was born. There was no time for drugs.

I actually didn't find labour and birth to have much impact on my fibro. I didn't have my first flare until he was 3 weeks old and then it was a minor flare. It wasn't really hard for me until this week (he's 7 weeks old now) where I flared badly.

However I am inclined to wait until my son is 5 before having another baby as I'd like him to be old enough to be able to do some things himself before I have another baby as I think having two very small children might be too much for me.
nobby
UKFM Member

Postby nobby » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:45 am

NatashaK wrote:Fibro was on my ante-natal notes in my first pregnancy but it did not make one jot of difference as to how things were managed as no-body knew how it would be affected. Next time round may be different though.
I just don't think I could go through the trauma of a vaginal birth again and how it flared my FM.

I will make two notes on this.

1. They had fibro in my ante-natel notes as well but all they could recommend was ways for me to keep from having fatigue overtake me (they were also less inclined to bully me into being drug free...not that it ended up being an issue) But they only other woman with fibro they'd had recently had been signed off from 6 weeks pregnant while I worked into my last month of pregnancy. So it is hard for them to know how it's going to affect you.

2. I will point out that a 2nd vaginal birth would be a lot less traumatic then the first physically. For one thing labour is usually a lot shorter. I would commit to a c-section until you know for sure. I've seen people after a c-section, mostly they found it hard to bond with the baby and were really depressed afterwards. Some women aren't but some are.

I'm not saying NOOO NO C-SECTION but I am saying wait until you're pregnant again and really think and discuss it with your partner first. You might find that while you're pregnant you really don't want a c-section for some obscure reason or you might be "No I still want one" but it's a choice best left til you're pregnant.
nobby
UKFM Member

Postby Elsbeth » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:21 pm

To be fair, gall bladder and c-section.. VERY different operations.
Elsbeth
UKFM Member

Postby NatashaK » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:05 am

I do understand that the two operations are different, but I was referring more to the affect of the anesthetic than anything else.

I will do my research on c-sections if and when I get pregnant again and discuss it at length with my midwife. It is not always true that the second labour is shorter or less intenstive - this was not the case for my friend who had her second baby recently. The baby was bigger and the labour was 3 days! Whereas her first was over in a few hours.

For now, I am 75:25 in favour of having a c-section rather than a vaginal birth. I just think pain from an operation is more managable than pain from my fibro flare which doesn't respond to anything really other than biding my time and riding it out, which is not easy with a baby to look after. But who can tell how I will be affected second time round - if only I had a crystal ball that could tell me the outcome of both options.

I just wish my husband could have the baby next time round!
NatashaK
UKFM Member

Postby debbie 22 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:56 am

hi i have 3 children i had them all natrually wit out pain relife but my last labour was very tramatic which was 13mt ago i went in to labour 3wks early wen i was in labour i couldnt put any presure on my bum sitting nd even lyin hurt really bad wen he was on his way out it was lyk an explosion my partner nd mam were both in tears cos they cud see th pain i was in nd th midwife was really concerned they sed they had never seen out lyk it and i have been told if i fall pregnant againg i risk bein paralyzed nd bein in a wheelchair dont meen to scare u but hope i av helped x
fibromyalgia is a pain in the ................. well every were
debbie 22
UKFM Newbie

Postby LinzWorld » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:28 pm

Operations typically flare Fibro and the more major the worse it is. A c-section is far more traumatic to your body than a gallbladder op. With a c-section you also have to take into account that they would want to do it under epidural and epidurals can be very risky for Fibro - sometimes they don't even work and sometimes they're not possible if the local anaesthetic isn't effective (as is likely if you have HMS as well we Fibro) b/c then they would have to put a catheter into your spine without anaesthesia.

It's a shame the NHS doesn't recognise the impact of Fibro. There is a lot you could do before, during and immediately after a birth to help manage it.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Postby NatashaK » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:24 pm

LinzWorld wrote:It's a shame the NHS doesn't recognise the impact of Fibro. There is a lot you could do before, during and immediately after a birth to help manage it.

Can you elaborate?

I have just found out I am 4 weeks pregnant so if this pregnancy sticks, then this is no longer a theoretical question for me. I will be giving birth in June 2010.

I have done a tiny bit of reading about c-sections and the after effects some women have, and I now feel more inclined to go with a vaginal birth but have an epidural to lessen the trauma of the pain and also allow me to rest and sleep if the labour is prolonged like it was with my son. You all know sleep deprivation brings on a flare and I went without sleep for 48hours when my son was being born so it made everything 100x worse. However I am still going to discuss both birth options with my midwife.

I was a bit of a guinea pig for my midwifery team where I live, since they had never come across fibro before. At least next time round I will know what to expect.
NatashaK
UKFM Member

Postby hamstergirl » Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:55 am

Congratulations on your pregnancy

I dont want to scare you but seriously think about whether a c section is the better option.

My friend two years on the 25th October was going in for a c section. She had her first naturally but tore unbelievably and was in a lot of pain afterwards (she doesnt have fm). She opted for a c section for her 2nd baby. This 3rd baby she decided on c section again but nearer time she nearly changed her mind and give a natural birth a go. She so wished she had changed her mind because she nearly died. She spend 3 months in intensive care, a month in high dependancy unit and had months and months of physio to get her muscles moving gain. She was very lucky.

After c section she couldnt go toilet, hospital was giving her stuff to make her go. She was in agony but they just kept giving her stuff. That was until 3 days later her bowel burst and she got septacemia. It was touch and go. They sewed her bowel up but it didnt hold and 4 days later it burst again leaving her critical again. She wasnt responding to treatment (she was in an induced coma), they were ringing other hospitals for advice. They gave her a colostomay bag to give her bowl time to recover, 2 years later she's still got it. They left her stomach open to heal internally, which is like a right mess now its healed. She had to have a tracheotomy done to help her breathe. It was heartbreaking to see her so il, dont know how her husband coped. It had a huge impact on her childrens mental health.

She's got a huge claim against the hospital and been told that she can sue for neglect.

They have offered her an operation (she's going to a different hospital) for her to have plastic surgery on her stomach and to remove the colostomy bag in one op. She wants to have it done but cant bring herself to arrange a date yet. Too scared she'll die this time.

So what i'm saying is c section isnt always the easier option.

When she came out of hospital they said someone in the hospital the year before had a burst bowel and they died and didnt think she would have survived. She's got 3 boys and so desperately wanted a girl but she wont be having any more pregnancies now
hamstergirl
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems