What is pain?

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

What is pain?

Postby Mygel2 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:05 pm

Hi all,
I'm wondering what pain actually is? Some days I feel that my symptoms fit with fibro and on other days I'm not sure because of the pain issue. I have neck, shoulder and back ache constantly, intermittent hip pain, intermittent finger aches, sometimes I get discomfort in my ribs when I lie on my side, like there is a lump there (but there isn't), achy legs that feel like they are made from steel girders, I feel stiff and achy all over when I wake up, and if I have been sitting for a while, I look like an old lady when I get up, slow to straighten and hobbling, I get transient aches and sometimes pain in places that don't regularly hurt. The thing is, I always think of pain as being debillitating but I'm able to continue working. My stamina is affected and I often feel drained at the end of a shift. My aches and pains don't stop me from going to work though. I do take alot of ibuprofen and paracetamol and occasionally voltarol but I don't like taking pain killers so if I can avoid them I do. Pain is subjective, everyones pain threshold is different but I don't think I get severe pain so to me that means it probably isn't fibro. As fibro suffers, do you find you get severe pain or does it vary, sometimes mild, sometimes moderate, sometimes severe?

My other symptoms are that my memory and concentration is terrible and seems to be deteriorating slowly and surely (friends and family have even noticed it), I have irritable bladder and bowel, headaches often, sometimes I have phases where I have them for days at a time. I find it very difficult to get to sleep and then have difficulty waking up and always feel tired whether I have 4 or 14 hours sleep. I'm told I'm a very restless and fidgety sleeper. I have had a couple of episodes of anxiety and depression over the years. I have TMJ disorder. Over the last year my eyes feel like they need a new prescription but when tested my prescription hasn't changed. I occasionally get mild tinnitus and my hearing wavers.

Basically lots of different things going wrong in my body, which on their own would be an irritation but together are really getting me down. Half of me thinks yes it is fibro and half thinks my pain isn't severe enough for it to be fibro?

I'm feeling very confused and thought I would ask you guys about your thoughts and feelings about fibro pain? Looking forward to hearing what you have to say about the pain issue.

Cheers and all the best to you all
Mygel x
Mygel2
UKFM Newbie

Re: What is pain?

Postby *Lisa* » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:24 pm

Hi

Are you saying your not sure if you have FM or not?.... you not been diagnosed yet?

Sounds like FM to me.

FM is constant 24/7 chronic stiffness & pain with fatigue and TMJ is a very commen FM assosiated condition...

I also have TMJ

Also have the rib pain to which can be under Costochondritis another FM assosiated condition!

Some people can manage to work & have FM

FM 's typical characteristic is the up & down of its pain and everyday is different. Thats why we have to pace!

Fibrofog is commen to (poor concentration)

So yes it looks like you do have FM :|
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby gillshutt » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:05 pm

It does sound like fibro to me as well.

We all get different amounts and types of pain. I'm still mobile but couldn't go back to my old job of classroom assistant because of being on my feet all day and going up and down stairs after every lesson :shock: Many people do work though and some people can't leave the house so you can't compare one with another, one persons experiences of FM are different to everyone elses which kind of makes it hard to explain.

Gill x
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Postby shazq » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:49 pm

Fibro does affect us all in different levels, some days i will have more energy so will be able to do more things around the house.
Other days i can`t do much at all, i will be in extra pain, i will have no energy.
Fibro affects every day of my life.
Some days i cant remember peoples names, do silly things in the house, like put things in the wrong place.

I too would not be able to return to work, i would not be capable of looking after kiddies with downs. I loved my job and i really do feel like i have been robed of my life through this.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby groovy_chick » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:11 pm

Well, there are loads of different definitions of what pain is so will try not to bore you with too many but my favourite one is : "pain is whatever the experiencing person says it is and existing whenever he says it does" (McCaffery 1968) therefore going by this if I say that ,let's say a fly sitting on my arm causes me pain then in my eyes that is my pain. Equally following on from that, pain is very subjective and private experience which can only be felt by the person experiencing it and am sure you have met people who could have their teeth happily pulled out without anaesthetic and others who screamed the place down while having injection so yet again the experience of pain varies with each individual.
The above definition was reviewed years later and redefined pain as : "unpleasant sensory and emotional experience associated with actual or potential damage or described in terms of such damage " (IASP 1986) Although I do not personally like this definition I suppose it allows for situations where the pain felt is not proportionate to the injury received i.e. fibro.
There are so many different ways of describing the pain and assessing the pain but none of them are 100% foolproof. Sometimes it can be very difficult for a non-medical person to put across just how much something hurts if they can't use the right words. Also, for some people the words painful and hurts and discomfort can be interchangeable or mean different degrees of pain than to others. This is why sometimes it helps to use Visual Analogue Scales (VAS) -looking at sad faces and deciding which one would feel like you or Numerical Rating Scales (NRS)-giving pain number out of 10, for assessment of pain severity.
Trouble with fibro is that people appear fine and on the outside, there is nothing visibly wrong with them so it can be quite difficult for others to understand just how much pain/exhaustion we are in.
Anyhow, enough rambling, hope you get the things sorted soon.

:hugs:
Nuts on the road! nim nim nim
groovy_chick
UKFM Member

Postby nobby » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:29 am

I'm able to keep working too, but I call those aches and all pain. After a certain point it's sad but true the everyday pain becomes background noise of struggling as you stand up, wincing when you walk up stairs, moving slowly because you ache etc etc...and you only really "notice" the pain when you're flaring and it moves from aches to OMG OW OW OW.

It's part of the reason why we don't "seem" ill. I have to explain to my husband that even though I can continue to work and I'm not saying ow every time I move, that doesn't mean my pain has magically disappeared.
nobby
UKFM Member

Postby groovy_chick » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:20 am

nobby wrote:I'm able to keep working too, but I call those aches and all pain. After a certain point it's sad but true the everyday pain becomes background noise of struggling as you stand up, wincing when you walk up stairs, moving slowly because you ache etc etc...and you only really "notice" the pain when you're flaring and it moves from aches to OMG OW OW OW.

It's part of the reason why we don't "seem" ill. I have to explain to my husband that even though I can continue to work and I'm not saying ow every time I move, that doesn't mean my pain has magically disappeared.

so so very true, unfortunately :evil: I am the same :needhug:
Nuts on the road! nim nim nim
groovy_chick
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems