Depression - do and don't!

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Depression - do and don't!

Postby Withane » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:12 pm

Hi Folks

Finally admitting I am severely depressed :needhug:. I alternate between denial (being busy), relentless crying or seeking time asleep. When I think about myself I feel desperate. (and ashamed, weak, pathetic etc too! :oops:)

I have booked an appointment to see GP tomorrow morning to discuss what my Rheumatologist recommends for my treatment. GP should have a letter which recommends:

* CBT
* Change from Gabapentin to Pregabalin (think that is how you spell it), and
* Pain management course

In the past I have had anti depressants, they did stop the tears, but I felt numb, which isn't great for feeling alive either. A good friend advised; "Go to the doctor with at least an idea of what you want, because if you say you don't want drugs, they will push it back to you!"

PLEASE HELP!! I don't know what I want. I am not stupid, :banghead: I am doing things that I know SHOULD help, they aren't helping and I have given it time. I feel stuck between a rock and a hard place. :crazy: Don't want my work to know what I say to my GP - but I work in the NHS and they can ask for a report should I go off sick again. BUT don't want to feel like this any longer and not seek help. My partner feels desperate too - he sees the depressed me and feels powerless to help me so wants my GP to help.

:dunno:

Any suggestions?

Thanks folks (Again!)

Withane xx
Moving into acceptance about having FM - but that doesn't mean I like it!
Withane
UKFM Member

Re: Depression - do and don't!

Postby shazq » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:28 pm

HI
Sorry you are feeling depressed.
I know how you feel as i was like this last week.
Go back to your GP and take hubby with you, that way you can both explain how you are feeling.
If you write things down then you wont forget what you need to say.

Normally a Rheumy will DX you with fibro, then its your GP that will treat you.
Are you on any antidepressants? sounds like you might need to try something.

Fibro does affect us all in different ways, but depression is a major symptom to fibro.
You are not a weak person at all, you are a person suffering an illness.

I am on a pain clinic at mo, finding it a big help.

Good luck at the doctors, let us know how you get on.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby gillshutt » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:06 am

I really would suggest some antidepressants even if it's just for a short while just to kick start your system. There is such a stigma about depression but it is usually just down to an imbalance of chemicals in the brain (much like fibro) and so it's a physical illness which can be treated. I know of a ew people who resisted for a long while but when they did start on antidepressants they say they wish they'd started sooner.

CBT sounds like a good idea too as it will help the way you think about things. If you have to wait ages to get on a course or your GP isn't keen on sending you then I would suggest getting A Dummies Guide to Cognitive behavioural Therapy (I got one from Amazon) It will give you ideas on coping mechanisms and how to rethink the way you think :)

Gill x x
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Postby GeminiGirl » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:43 am

Hi guys

Withane - hope you are feeling better?

Just wondering what is CBT? i've heard of it before but cant remember what its about
GeminiGirl
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:38 am

Its congentive behavioural therapy....

Its a therapy that teaches you techniques in how to overcome/control your depression

You can also have CBT in things like anxiety/chronic pain etc...

Withane.... It took alot to admit & tell us you have severe depression! well done its always a start.

Good luck and where all here for you!! :grouphug:
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby milosmum » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:58 pm

hi i work in the nhs to,
it is difficult but recently i came to the decision for the sake of my own fragile sanity to go to my gp and admit my depression. in doing so i wanted to get help. ok if you go off sick and occy health request any gp info well let them.
this illness is so nasty you have to worry just about yourself to try and manage its difficult enough to do this without worrying about work. also were depression is concerned occy health has to be very careful with how they treat staff. they cannot be seen to exacerbate the situation for you so try not to worry and get well soon.
best wishes
dawn
milosmum
UKFM Member

Postby Withane » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:53 pm

Hi Folks

Thanks for your posts and support. I did the dreaded deed and asked for help; I was quite careful how I posed the question of "help", and I think that helped, I listened to their thoughts first.

I was told that whilst they thought a referral to Cognitive Behavioural Therapy was a good idea, waiting for an appointment (in this area) to assess me will take about a year and then treatment a year after that. I figured that whilst the GP was agreeing the recommeded "help" is on the rare side, that I could ask for a plan B.

To be fair to the GP, he had never seen me before, he didn't know what I was currently doing to help my FM diagnosis, so as he only had 10 minute,s I felt I got value for money!

He took me seriously, and that is rare as gold for me! He prescribed setraline (an anti depressant), which I start tonight. Whilst I understand it can react to another drug I am taking (Amitryptilene) - he did ask to see me in a month to discuss how I feel then - so I felt that was helpful.

I will give it a go - along with everything else I am taking/doing - I want to feel better. So thanks again for your support and encouragement to keep going and ask for help, even when I didn't know what "help" would look like.

Day at a time eh... go gently all, and thanks again
:grouphug:
Withane xx
Moving into acceptance about having FM - but that doesn't mean I like it!
Withane
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:44 pm

Hope it helps you.
Keep us updated. :hugs:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems