Fibro, TMJ and Bruxisme

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Fibro, TMJ and Bruxisme

Postby Ragdoll » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:55 pm

Hi,

My name is Liliane im am 49 yrs old, I live in Denmark, and I have recently after many years of pain and problems, been diagnosed with fibromyalgia.
Well, I am the type that when I get a diagnose like that, especially as I was misdiagnosed many times, I wanna know what I've got. So I start my own little research.

One thing I have come across is that it seems that TMJ is a problem for many Fibro sufferers, and I would like to ask, if and how many of you suffer from TMJ?

TMJ on the other hand can be caused by Bruxism (Grinding of the teeth), how many of those who do suffer from TMJ are aware of whether they also grind their teeth?

The reason I am asking this is that I have come across several articles, here is one http://www.fibromyalgia-symptoms.org/fi ... uxism.html, which talks about a cause/effect relation between Fibromyalgia and and bruxism/TMJ. As you can read, an estimated 75% of all fibro patients suffer from Bruxism, but it is believed that most are not aware of it.

But if you for no apparent reason wake up in the mornings with aching jaws, earaches, headaches, feeling worn out, or you are diagnosed with TMJ, have the possibility that you grind your teeth been checked?

How much are doctors/dentists/researcher working with this in Britain, or is it still something that is wieved seperate from Fibromyalgia?

Personally, I have been grinding my teeth, since at least from when I was nine years old, before that I cannot remember, I have had mouth guards, which I chewed to bits, and tried all sorts of things. I also, since about the same time, started clicking my jaw, which is very painful, and I did that too, involuntarily, in my sleep. I have never been able to chew chewinggum. At St. Mary's in London, they established that my jaw in the right side, was almost worn away. And though it has not been diagnosed, I am sure I have TMJ. After forty years of grinding my teeth and clicking my jaw, it is almost inevitable.

I would be very happy if some of you could write about it, if you too, have TMJ or grind your teeth.

I would also be very happy if anyone could direct me to anymore articles on the subject.

Thanks

Ragdoll
Ragdoll
UKFM Member

Re: Fibro, TMJ and Bruxisme

Postby greeneyesblue » Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:39 pm

I wasn't aware that I grind my teeth either until my boyfriend told me I wake him up because I do it so vigorously. My jaw also clicks when I eat or talk on the right side. I would like to go to a dentist about it, but unfortunately, NHS dentists are like gold dust and I can find any in my area :cry:
greeneyesblue
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:41 pm

TMJ is a very commen FM assosiated condition...

I have had TMJ now for 10yrs.

The dentist is the one to help you, they make me a mouthguard that i wear at night to help relax the jaw muscles easing neck pain etc...

I clench my teeth. With having FM aswell the muscles tighten causing me to clench not grinde.

The dentist man forwarded me onto a maxiolfacial consultant at the hospital.

They cannot do much for you, give x-rays and stretching exercises.

Anti-inflammes can help reduce the pain.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby Ragdoll » Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:24 pm

Thank you for the replies.

I am trying to see how common this problem is in Fibro patients, so I hope a lot more of you will comment, also the ones who do not have the problem.
I am trying to establish causes rather than solutions.

Scientifically speaking one could say, "Find the cause, and you will find the cure!"

Knowing that Fibromites tend to get TMJ, is not the same as finding the cause of it.

Why do you get Fibromyalgia?
Because of TMJ?
But why do you get TMJ?
Because you grind your teeth?
Why do you grind your teeth?
Because you are stressed or because they are out of alignment?

These are the questions I am searching for the answers to? At present no-one can answer them, but maybe, just maybe, in the search for the answers, one stumbles over something that can help give an explanation for this disease.

And maybe if I can find enough about little bits, that I can get a Doctor, or dentist or an oral surgeon to start being interested enough, that they want to delve deeper into it.

I know that teeth and jaws, are not the sole issue for fibromites, but it is a part of it, and I believe a great part.

Hugs,

Ragdoll
Ragdoll
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:19 pm

Neither my partner or myself suffer with TMJ.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby gillshutt » Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:05 pm

I suffer from TMJ but don't grind my teeth I just clench them This happens when I'm in pain and is usually when I'm awake although I sometimes do it in my sleep when I'm in a lot of pain.

I can't see that TMJ would cause Fibro since it's a change in the chemicals in the brain and I can't see that clenching or grinding your teeth would cause it. Far more likely that stress and pain caused by the fibro would cause the TMJ.

Gill x
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Postby shrimp » Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:24 pm

hi ragdoll in denmark !!!....

hope you have better weather than i have here in rainy essex at the moment !!!!

i am not aware that i suffer TMJ but about once a month i do get very painful jaw ache especially on the right side from my ear down to chin - very painful to open my mouth or chew etc - lasts about 7 days.........i mentioned to my rheumy and he said part of fibro........at about the same sort of time i get clusters of headaches over my eyes which can last hours/days - never been a headache sort of person before.

i dont grind my teeth and am sure my partner would have told me if i did but like others have said i do tend to clench my jaws.

thanks for taking an interest and doing this research.
shrimp xxx
I like to make people laugh xxx
shrimp
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:08 pm

TMJ is a condition of its own...

I may have TMJ as my bite overlaps and i had alot of ortherdontic treatment when i was younger.

I clench my teeth. This can also get worse if the FM in my neck is bad and the muscles are very stiff...

Stress & anxiety can also trigger TMJ with grindin & clenchin

Your best off speak with a proper professional. The dentist can help you with any information.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby dollydaydream » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:53 pm

I clench my teeth when I'm driving.

I didn't think I did teeth grinding - till my hubby told the rheumy at the Fibro assessment that I did! She asked me if I did and I said no - had hubby with me and he said "well' actually darling, you do!' Great, so now I have weird dreams, sleep talk, sleep walk and grind my teeth. I outta be grateful he hasn't asked for seperate beds! :yikes:
Sending you love and light

Sarah xxx
dollydaydream
UKFM Member

Postby Ragdoll » Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:03 am

Thanks again everyone, well I have no idea of whether TMJ is a cause or an effect if Fibromyalgia. Or whether it is simply a side effect, or completely coincidental.

This is what I am trying to establish, most of doctors and dentists here, haven't ever worked with the possibility of a connection, like most patients here have never thought of telling their doctor, that they have problems with their teeth/jaw or their dentist that they suffer from Fibromyalgia.
So it is rather unexplored here. And I need to create an interest in the subject for doctors as well as dentists. Monday I will bring up for my dentist. But I am afraid I will find her rather blank.

In regard to the possibility of TMJ triggering FM, i cannot say for sure, but I know that I started suffering with my teeth and jaw long before (nine yrs of age) I started having any FM symptoms.
My teeth was my whole life very badly aligned. And yes long fysical trauma (more that three mth), i.e. pain, can make changes in the brain, and in the signals the brain is recieving/sending.

In regard to numbers of FM sufferers, who also suffer from TMJ. I doubt any doctor can answer that, only through the responses here can I possibly get a feel of the relationship, between one or the other.

I am not asking professionals, because I wish to hear what those who do have FM have of experiences. I wish to hear it from the horses mouth, this is also one of the reasons that I am asking you all to answer, whether you do, or do not suffer from TMJ.

I thank you all again :)

Ragdoll
Ragdoll
UKFM Member

Postby gillshutt » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:50 am

I'm the opposite to you, I started having TMJ only recently (in the last year or so) but have had FM for a lot longer. Perhaps we are just prone to get these things but not necessarily in the same order. In the same way that we are prone to get other muscle/joint problems like costochondritis etc :dunno:

I've put a poll called associated problems... if everyone votes we can have a look at the results.
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Postby Ragdoll » Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:28 am

gillshutt wrote:I'm the opposite to you, I started having TMJ only recently (in the last year or so) but have had FM for a lot longer. Perhaps we are just prone to get these things but not necessarily in the same order. In the same way that we are prone to get other muscle/joint problems like costochondritis etc :dunno:

I've put a poll called associated problems... if everyone votes we can have a look at the results.

Super, thanks, was the best thing :crazy: a poll

Ragdoll
Ragdoll
UKFM Member

Postby Amalia » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:24 am

They call it TMD now (Temporo Mandibular Disorder).

I was diagnosed with it before I was diagnosed with fibro, although I knew I had had fibro for years by that point.

I was eventually sent to a Dental Hospital where a dentist was doing a PhD on this very subject. I started with a soft splint and jaw exercises which went on over 2 years. My jaw was very out of allignment and my teeth have huge ridges in them where I've obviously been grinding for years at night.

I became more and more aware of just how much I clench my jaw (not to mention other muscles) when tense, which is almost all the time. They told me to relax my jaw every time I was aware of it.

I've never had terrible pain in my jaw, thank goodness. I know others get this. However, my teeth have suffered and I think will do more in the future due to the grinding.

My feeling is that the tendency to be someone who has fibro comes first. All the other things that relate to stress in any way are because we have the type of personality that lends itself to fibro. It's just my opinion and the problem with something like fibro is that there are SO many strands to it and so many related conditions.

Take care everyone,

Amalia. x
Amalia
UKFM Member

Postby gillshutt » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:28 pm

Most hospitals call it TMJD but TMJ for short... the J being for Joint.
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Postby Amalia » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:03 pm

Well maybe it's dentists who call it TMD, because the papers the dentist gave me on it all said TMD, as did his PhD.

Amalia.
Amalia
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems