Fibro, TMJ and Bruxisme

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Re: Fibro, TMJ and Bruxisme

Postby gillshutt » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:08 pm

Mine calls it TMJ :roll: go figure
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Postby milosmum » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:54 pm

hi,
i am a bona fide teeth grinder!! i can wake myself and my oh up when its bad. i wear a soft mouth guard every night or suffer the consequences. i have ground my teeth for most of my adult life am 39 now!! so it came before the fibro, but its got worse with the fibro.
dawnie :)
milosmum
UKFM Member

Postby ChloeCat » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:02 pm

Hi, I have certainly got bruxism as I have ground my teeth for years, and long before I got the diagnosis of fybromyalgia. My jaw has occasionally clunked and been difficult to close, but I've never needed any treatment for it.

The teeth grinding was so bad my mum, who was sharing my bedroom the week before my O level results, had to go into another bedroom! She was working as a dental nurse in the early 80s and got the dentist to make me up a bite guard, which I used for years. I did, however, manage to bite through it before too long although it was still useable. This was approximately 25 years before I was diagnosed with the fibro, but I had increasing symptoms from when I was 18.

HTH
Fran
ChloeCat
UKFM Member

Postby Amalia » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:32 pm

gillshutt wrote:Mine calls it TMJ :roll: go figure

If anyone was going to shorten TMJD, why would they miss out the `D' and call it TMJ?
Missing out the `D' means you are calling it Temporo Mandibular Joint...., which doesn't make sense.

However, missing out the `J' means you are calling it Temporo Mandibular Disorder, which does make sense. Which would suggest it better to call it TMD, if you are going to shorten it at all.

I'll ask my friend's husband about it as he's a dentist.

Amalia.
Amalia
UKFM Member

Postby gillshutt » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:35 am

Either is acceptabe.. if you google either it comes up with similar info.

Have a look HERE
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Postby gilly54 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:54 pm

I'm a clencher. As far as I know, I don't grind my teeth. I was diagnosed with Fibro long before I has TMJ.
gilly54
UKFM Member

Previous

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems