fibro and ibs

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

fibro and ibs

Postby csevern » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:52 am

hi guys been along time since ive posted on here and ive not really had chance to keep up to date on posts ive been in that kind of limbo space with fibro, brains working but no one was home lol anyways i just been diagnosed with ibs on top of everything now and have been given more meds to add to the ever growing list, they have put me on spasmol 3 times a day and lansoprazole to take when i wake in the morning i swear im rattling now just wondered if anyone had any tips to coping with ibs its all new to me
hope everyone is doing ok
gentle hugs
carin x
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit
the ground each morning the devil says,
"OH GOD, SHE'S UP"! .
csevern
UKFM Member

Re: fibro and ibs

Postby rosie66 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:55 pm

Hi csevern, :wave:
It seems that i have done the reverse to you,about 3yrs ago i had problems with food,seemed that everything i ate made me ill,after having a endoscopy,i was put on Lansoprazole,then about yr later i had ibs,and last week i was diagnosed with fibro, to sort my ibs out, i had to play around with food to see what i could and what i couldn't, i think you will find that some of us are different to others, i have to stay off spicy foods+acidy fruits ,Activia yoghurts are good ,they helped with being bloated,etc, i don't think i am going to be much help to you, but i am sure there are others on here that wil be in touch with you and perhaps be more helpful than me,all i can say now is that , i know exactly what you are going through and how you feel, Rosie xx :wave:
rosie66
UKFM Regular

Postby velvet » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:57 pm

i was diagnosed with IBS in my early teens. as rosie said different things affect different people - i am fine with spice although since the fibro i have lost my taste for it :roll: . one biggy i did learn that i wished someone had told me is that fibre comes in 2 forms - soluble and insoluble. the insoluble can mean big trouble for IBS and so should be avoided and the main source of insoluble fibre is BRAN. no doubt someone will tell you that it is really important to keep up your "roughage" with IBS and recommend all bran or bran flakes. it took me a couple years of religiously stuffing myself with these and wondering why the IBS was no better and if anything worse before i discovered they are actually a bad idea. one of the best forms of the soluble fibre that is good is porridge oats. when the IBS is really bad a daily bowl of porridge sorts it out smooths things over and returns things to normal.
velvet
UKFM Regular

Postby luuluu » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:27 pm

Hi Carin

Long time no see and I havn't seen you on fb for ages x
I have IBS, mine affects me where I have to go to the loo 3 or 4 times each morning within an hour of getting up and then I'm ok for the rest of the day :roll:
I had lansprazole for the acid reflux I was getting in the night off my other meds and I was sure it made my IBS worse so I stopped it and I was right it did but everyone reacts differently I suppose.
I have tried lots of food elimination but can't find anything that really triggers my IBS other than vegetables. If I have a roast dinner with lots of veg I know my IBS is worse the next morning but I can eat currys and other spicy food with no effect.
My mum has IBS and she can't tolerate cream or ice cream or any food with cream in the sauce such as carbonara.
As for coping with it I buy a lot of loo roll :roll:

Take care hun

luuluu
xxxxx
what other people think of me is really none of my business
luuluu
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:17 pm

I Have crohns, which is similar to ibs.
I mainly stick to a low residue diet.
I cant eat to much bran as it takes to long to get through your stomach and can clog you up, i cant eat spicy food, as it will run out of me.
Have problems with food like pasta as it is to stodgy.
Foods with skin and pips/seeds in can only be eaten now and again, as they stay in your system for to long.
I cant eat a large meal as i become bloated.I have had 3 operations to remove parts of my bowel, but it always comes back.
I go between diarrhea and constipation.
I have 3 different types of lax`s and also anti diarrhea meds.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby rosie66 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:58 pm

OH shadz
after reading that,i feeling that i have no right to moan and groan about my aches and pains,i am so sorry to hear you suffer so much, you take care :hugs:
rosie66
UKFM Regular

Postby shazq » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:04 pm

rosie66 wrote:OH shadz
after reading that,i feeling that i have no right to moan and groan about my aches and pains,i am so sorry to hear you suffer so much, you take care :hugs:

Thanks rosie. :hugs:
I just learn to live with it to be honest, i see the hospital every few months, have lots of tests done.
If i stick to eating bland food, it keeps me out of hospital. (fingers crossed).
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby csevern » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:19 am

hi hun :wave:

my hubby has ibs to and his is dairy products he can eat minimal like cheese spread and the odd pizza but to much in one day and he's bad

carin xxx
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit
the ground each morning the devil says,
"OH GOD, SHE'S UP"! .
csevern
UKFM Member

Postby dollydaydream » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:01 pm

I've thrown out all my white shorts and trousers. Dark colours from the waist down for me please! :lol:
Sending you love and light

Sarah xxx
dollydaydream
UKFM Member

Postby hamstergirl » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:28 pm

A couple of years ago i was having a really bad time with my ibs. (wasnt diagnosed with fm then). I mainly suffer with wind, which is embarassing, and constipation. I was having dreadful pains in my bottom, where as i was wanting to scream in agony.

My GP referred me to a dietrician, who looked at my appalling diet. She told me to start taking probiotic tablets. She told me probiotic yogurts are good but would be better taking tablets because yogurts contain a lot of sugar.

At the same time i was watching QVC who were doing a Easiyo yogurt show. I bought a yogurt maker and some yogurt that has 100% healthy bacteria for your gut. I can honestly say since using these two products my ibs has come under control and not had any excessive pain since. I still have wind and constipation but not as bad. The yogurt is about £2.20 a packet that makes a kilo, but with the children it doesnt last long.
hamstergirl
UKFM Member

Postby Angel777 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:51 pm

I have just moved house , stress , stress! fibro flared before the stress kicked in, then IBS came in full force and the fibro went on overload so ended up in emergency clinic prescribed diazepam and meds for IBS which only helped for a couple of days. This was the night before we moved!!!
Having a job to calm everything down now , my whole system is still very very sensitive so I only have to do one thing over the top and it all kicks in again ,the oversensitivity, all the nerves going in the abdo and digestion area. Going out is difficult as I get a reaction with standing and walking and the IBS starts again . I just completely overloaded ,the fibro seems it hit a massive output point and now my body is having great trouble regulating again.
So bloated most of the time etc. and don't know what to eat , get indigestion . Haven't had IBS for years and isn't it distressing , nausea, make syou feel so low.
Moved into small community who are very friendly and I do want to be part of but at the moment I just feel like staying in until the IBS feels controlled and the fibro eases down.
Seeing nurse for new patient check next week , so might make appt with Gp to get some help. I have treated myself up to date and kept it under control to a level I could manage life . One move and that's it!!
Diagnosed with FM 2007 /Also have Osteoarthritis which I have had for many years .
Looking to connect with fellow FM people near me as well as making friends and having support from this forum .
Angel777
UKFM Member

Postby LinzWorld » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:02 pm

I highly recommend the book 'The First Year: IBS' by Heather Van Vorous. It helped me enormously and Heather is now on the FibroAction Professional Advisory Board - she's an amazing woman! :)
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems