Local anesthetic warning...

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Local anesthetic warning...

Postby Ange » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:37 pm

Hi all...

I went into hosp on Monday to have a wisdom tooth out. I've had local jabs before, and never bothered. Ok, they are a bit unpleasent, but not the worst thing I've had.

Anyway, first jab and after a couple of minutes I felt faint, and heart racing. The second jab and I was faint again, heart racing and shaking a bit.

The extraction was done, and I sat for a while, and then all hell broke loose.

My BP plunged to 103, and I was taken to a recovery room. I was shaking so much the bed shook too. I was monitored etc, and ended up in there for 2 hours while they got me sorted out.

The doc said it was a reaction to the adrenaline in the local anesthetic. Now I don't know if this is the Hypothyroidism side of me, or the Fybro.

So beware of anything like this if you have to have a jab at the dentist...
Ang x
Never drive faster than your Angels can fly.
Ange
UKFM Member

Re: Local anesthetic warning...

Postby princess » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:35 pm

I am ok at the dentist thankfully.
But very very tired after and i have to go and get a tooth out either next friday or the next friday - not lookin forward to it as i am a bit nervous at the dentist.
I will take my Rescue remedy with me andtake it whilst on road up.
fi
princess
UKFM Regular

Postby motherelephant » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:29 pm

Wow ang hope you are ok now.I know i had problems after general anesthetic ,but thought local was ok .I will bear that in mind thanks for telling us .Are you fully recovered now or still a bit shakey .Love and hugs Motherelle.xxxx :hugs:
Like sunshine in the morning, may this brighten up your day and show you that you're thought of in a warm and loving way.
motherelephant
UKFM Regular

Postby princess » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:40 pm

Come to think of it, last time i had a general i had a terrible migraine after and they sedated me for a while till it passed.
But i cant take morphine or any derivative as i take vertigo.
fi
princess
UKFM Regular

Postby smiler22 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:23 pm

hope that you are ok now. i know im ok with local anaesthetic as had load s of it recently do to injections and operations. i have also had lots of general nerve blocks. the last one i was ill but not because of the injection but the amount of time i was in theatre and awake do to the procedure i was having done.
live life to the full as life is what you make itxx
smiler22
UKFM Regular

Postby shazq » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:45 pm

Sounds scary, hope you have now recovered. :hugs:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby auroura » Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:59 am

I too had a bad reaction, my dentist says its the adrenalin, i now have injections without it in and i am fine. Just a word of warning, injections without adrenalin take longer to work, eg i had a tooth out last week, had injection 40 minutes before i had my tooth out, and was fine.
Sharon

Bad is never good until worse happens
auroura
UKFM Member

Postby jay79 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:16 am

ive had a few general anesthetics and every time i come round i have a fit??
keep waking up with 2 nurses pinning me down :roll:
jay79
UKFM Member

Postby Ange » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:41 pm

Ok from the local, but have some nerve pain up my face that I hope will go as things settle....

I put the same post on Thyriod Uk, and there have been a lot of replys to say that they have the same problems....so it seems it might be a thyroid thing more than a Fybro one.

I do know that there can be adrenal problems with the Thyroid....

Anyway....onward and upwards eh....:):)

Ang x
Never drive faster than your Angels can fly.
Ange
UKFM Member

Postby dan » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:01 am

I wonder why they put adrenaline in local anesthetics ? I would have thought a sedative would be better.

Dan.
dan
UKFM Member

Postby DaveD » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:20 am

Hi all

Although I am not in the medical profession I can almost certainly say it's likely a couple of things added together ...

Anxiety coupled with the relief that the procedure is over can cause a massive adrenaline rush - its happened to me a few times :oops: Before I had my occipital nerve block injections I was asked if I was worried , no I said - bring it on ! :roll:

After it was all done I was surrounded by staff in the theatre when I decided to jump up and ' shout hallelujah its a miracle , my pain has gone ' !!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

......... adrenaline rush and Dave on floor looking a tad daft surrounded by the medical team from ET :oops: Its a our bodies way of protecting us and sometimes works overtime . lol

atvb

Dave
You may only be someone in the world, but to someone else, you may be the world.
DaveD
UKFM Member

Postby jan8787 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:55 pm

hi
i have to have a tooth out this week my teeth are not good as i have gingervities and gums very red and swollen.my tooth is very infected and sore i have been on antibitiocs for two weeks nearly finished them.i will be having an injection in my mouth which will be at the dentist,iam nervous as it is but reading what you said is making me more nervous,i havent had a tooth out since i got fibro and iam wondering will i have the same reaction and what do i tell my dentist he nows i have fibro but its a new dentist do i ask for an injection without adrenalin in or not.need some advice please.
thank you
jan
jan8787
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems