trigeminal neuralgia

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

trigeminal neuralgia

Postby mitchells mum » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:27 pm

dont know if ive spelt it right - rather too many painkillers i feel!!

but

oooowwww!!!!

anybody got any tips

im in agony here!
judith x
mitchells mum
UKFM Member

Re: trigeminal neuralgia

Postby *Lisa* » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:28 pm

:wave:

No sorry...

Are you on any medications that help nerve pain...
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby gillshutt » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:07 pm

If you aren't on any then I would suggest asking for gabapentin or Lyrica which are epilepsy tabs but they work on nerve pain.... I take gabapentin for my OA nerve pain, couldn't live without them. :hugs:
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Postby smiler22 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:57 am

also amitriptyline is given for nerve pain.
live life to the full as life is what you make itxx
smiler22
UKFM Regular

Postby auroura » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:07 am

Duloxetine helps me with my really bad sharp shooting nerve type pains i used to get
Sharon

Bad is never good until worse happens
auroura
UKFM Member

Postby Ange » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:41 pm

OMG...if you have that I feel so sorry for you.... :(

The dentist is seeing me tomorrow to see if I have it after the impacted wisdom was taken out last week.

Pain in the top of my mouth, sinus, temple, ear and top[ of my head....terrible...

It was a bottom wisdom and was lying on the nerve, so I'm just praying it is temperory till it all settles down.

Trigeminal neuralgia is nicknamed the 'suicide neuralgia' cos so many folks that have it can't live with it....it's so bad.

Ang x
Never drive faster than your Angels can fly.
Ange
UKFM Member

Postby mitchells mum » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:29 pm

hi ange i can believe that, ive found that literally freezing my cheek with ice gives some relief thank goodness

im just so scared it will kick off again
judith x
mitchells mum
UKFM Member

Postby Ragdoll » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:03 am

I have suffered with Trigeminus Neuralgia since 1994, it comes in attacks on and of, also during attacks the pain has rise and falls, like waves, and yes during attacks death can seem like a very attractive alternative, which is why I am not allowed to be alone when I have it.
Attacks can last from a couple of days to month. I have been amitted several times to hospital during attacks.

The best way to describe the attacks is like having a root canal done without anaestetic. But where as that would be a matter of minutes, this can take days og weeks/month.

During attacks, I can do nothing, I cannot eat, take care of myself, bath shower, clean, cook or sleep before exaustion sends you into a very painful sleep.

I thank god for Gabapentin.

A dentist cannot tell you if you have Trigeminus neuralgia, but he can tell you if the pain you are experiencing is coming from the teeth, in which case it is probably not Trigeminus.

The Trigeminus nerve starts in the central nervous system, it comes out over the ear, and runs towards the cheekbone, here it splits into three branches, one following you eyebrow, one between your cheekbone and upper jaw, and one in the lower jaw.

Trigeminus neuralgia, gives pain in the two last ones, pain in the top one gives what is called Hortons headache.

With careful monitoring and well managed medication, the attacks can be minimized to almost nothing.

If you have it you will need to see a good Neurologist. But I hope it is just you teeth.

Best wishes

Ragdoll
Ragdoll
UKFM Member

Postby mitchells mum » Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:51 pm

wow thanks ragdoll

excellent info

sorry so long in answering but i feel all my memory, concentration has gone to pot since the attack
judith x
mitchells mum
UKFM Member

Postby mitchells mum » Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:53 pm

its the worst pain ive had in my life

i too am totally immobilised usually for a week

off to the dentist and dr i feel
judith x
mitchells mum
UKFM Member

Postby Ragdoll » Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:19 pm

Hi again Mitchellmum,

One thing I forgot to mention, if you can get someone to observe you, during the waves of pain, they should be able to see as a pain comes that you go very pale, and when it subsides you go red in the face.

Hope you get treatment soon.

:grouphug:

Ragdoll
Ragdoll
UKFM Member

Postby mitchells mum » Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:39 pm

i'll let my son know he looks after me

thanks xx
judith x
mitchells mum
UKFM Member

Postby Ruremi » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:39 pm

go to www.tna.org.uk They have an excellent forum for people how have TN and tips and support. I was on a lot last year it is the TN equivalent of FM.

I had an op for TN last year after about 13months of constant pain every day, and yes at my lowest its nickname did cross my mind. But now been pain free since last November more prone to headaches but nothing compared to the TN pain. Have you been to your GP have they given you any meds or reffered you to neurologist. Any questions feel free to pm me.

Moira
Ruremi
UKFM Member

Postby mitchells mum » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:28 pm

thank you so much
judith x
mitchells mum
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems