Anxiety advice

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Anxiety advice

Postby lauramath » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:18 pm

I wanted to share what most helped me in my battle with anxiety. Anxiety was the worst illness I ever suffered, and I was housebound...even at one point couch bound by my irrational fears. It is very painful and anguishing to know that you are not in control of even your own mind!

I was given some therapy, at $300 dollars an hour (no insurance!!!), but basically the Dr. told me I was VERY sane...and that crazy people don't even THINK they cold POSSIBLY be crazy! Only the sane question sanity.... :crazy:

There was no doubt I was breaking down though, and he recommended that I read a book called The Feeling Good Handbook by David Burns. I had basically gotten into a cycle of negative thought patterns. I imagined the absolute worst outcome in every situation! Sometimes, I wouldn't even realize that I was thinking negatively, and when I would have a panic attack I started trying to remember what I had just been thinking about..sure enough...it had been death, sickness, insanity, or another one of my anxiety inducing fantasies.

Changing my frame of mind (and having anxiety medications like Lexapro and Xanax..which I rarely take, but it helps when the fight or flight kicks in and wont turn itself off...), completely changed my life.

I think that anxiety management is very important to those who suffer from it, and I wanted to share my story and offer an ear to anyone who feels the need to talk about it. :grouphug:

Laura
lauramath
UKFM Member

Re: Anxiety advice

Postby motherelephant » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:33 pm

Thankyou lauramath its always nice to hear about when people find something that helps them.
:hugs: :hugs: takecare Motherelle.xx
Like sunshine in the morning, may this brighten up your day and show you that you're thought of in a warm and loving way.
motherelephant
UKFM Regular

Postby velvet » Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:17 am

i have developed anxiety problems twice since being diagnosed - when i say problems i mean the point at which "silly" anxieties actually start affecting my life - as in i might worry that the car is going to break down but its not a problem until i start stopping the car every five miles to check - if i worry about it breaking down but shrug it off with well if it happens i'll just phone and we'll get it sorted and think about something else then that is not a problem.

anyway - on both occasions i have been put on citalopram which for me has worked great, and on both occasions i have made sure i have come off it after an appropriate period. so if you are new to fibro and anxiety, and are worryed about being over medicated (i always worry about being over medicated) then citalopram is fine - the only side effects i had was when put on a high dose and had hand sahking for about 3 weeks but after that i was fine.
velvet
UKFM Regular

Postby shazq » Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:23 am

Thats good to hear you now have your anxiety under control.
Thanks for sharing your storey with us. :hugs:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems