combination of FM, thyriod and B12 deficancy

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

combination of FM, thyriod and B12 deficancy

Postby crumblyallie » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:39 pm

Originally I was told I had depression but they could never account for the amount of pain I was in this went on for years. During years of blood tests they found my B12 was very low so I started tablet treatment for that but again nothing for the pain. When I moved house I signed on to a new doctor who immediately said she knew what was wrong with me and sent me for to the hospital for confirmation that I had FM. She also repeated my blood tests and started me on B12 jabs my levels were still very low. My thyriod was very low but not at a treatable level. Three years later my thyroid had dropped and now I have treatment for that aswell.

My question is has anyone else had this experience and combination of illnesses and how do you cope?
crumblyallie
UKFM Member

Re: combination of FM, thyriod and B12 deficancy

Postby shazq » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:49 pm

HI
I have had to have a jab for vit b12, as i was a bit low.
Sorry i dont have thyriod so cant really help you.
I am sure someone else will reply.

Hope you feel better soon. :hugs:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby princess » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:00 pm

Sorry cant help you dont have those two - but sure someone will be along you can talk too
princess
princess
UKFM Regular

Postby motherelephant » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:58 pm

Hello is your Thyroid under or over .I have underactive thyroid as well as fibro .I have been taking thyroxine for over 4 yrs now ,but unfortunately i still feel unwell .The problem is ,is that in this country they keep you on as low a dose as possible even if you still feel unwell .Some people do improve once they get the level of thyroxine right ,unfortunately im not one of them
Some of the symptoms over lap with fibro ,but because I have had fibro for such a long time i can distinguish between the two. I hope everything goes well for you ,if I can help in any other way please pm me. There are others on the forum that have thyroid problems as well .
Takecare Motherelle. :hugs:
Like sunshine in the morning, may this brighten up your day and show you that you're thought of in a warm and loving way.
motherelephant
UKFM Regular

Postby crumblyallie » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:43 pm

motherelephant wrote:Hello is your Thyroid under or over .I have underactive thyroid as well as fibro .I have been taking thyroxine for over 4 yrs now ,but unfortunately i still feel unwell .The problem is ,is that in this country they keep you on as low a dose as possible even if you still feel unwell .Some people do improve once they get the level of thyroxine right ,unfortunately im not one of them
Some of the symptoms over lap with fibro ,but because I have had fibro for such a long time i can distinguish between the two. I hope everything goes well for you ,if I can help in any other way please pm me. There are others on the forum that have thyroid problems as well .
Takecare Motherelle. :hugs:

My thyroid is under, and like you I am not one that seems to have improved, The B12 issue also causes tiredness and memory problems not good when you can't remember to book an appointment, I've had all my blood tests done again last week so I'll see if anything is causes my latest flare.

How do you cope with all your symptems(sp) do you work?
crumblyallie
UKFM Member

Postby mellbluemerle » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:50 pm

Hi yes i have FM. I have an underactive thyroid, specifically it is Hashimotos Thyroiditis, where my immune system is slowly destroying my thyroid. Have you had an autoimmunity test for the thyroid, as there are links with FM? In this instance your gp should test fairly regularly for thyroxine that is still being produced. They should gradually increase the level of thyroxine accordingly. Although they usually start treating only when your thyroxine levels reach 7, in HT they treat earlier and increase quickly. I also have iron deficiency. Again this is connected, although this situation is new to me and vitB12 has not yet been investigated. B12 converts the iron you ingest into a form your body can metabolise and use. It helps the take up of oxygen in your red blood cells, therefor oxegenating your body. Lack of oxygen will make you feel tired, increase muscle pain and cause headaches etc in fact exactly the same as FM. I have difficulty in knowing what is what, but cope with it in several ways. I don't take the thyroxine with iron tablets, as the iron tablets disrupt the absorbtion of the thyroxine. I don't try to guess what is what, but react to symptoms as the come. I make sure i sleep where and when i can with no apology to anyone. I take nortriptaline at night, and walk at least 2 miles daily. Not easy, i know, but I understand your frustration. Take Care, Mellbluemerle :hugs: posting.php?mode=reply&f=6&t=5380#
mellbluemerle
UKFM Newbie

Postby auroura » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:46 pm

I had a low b12 count a few years ago, when i got really ill this time. I had 3 injections, which took my levels back to normal. I was also folate deficient so had treatment for that. Not had prob with thyroid so cant help with that. make sure your b12 is checked regularly, if it does not raise enough you will stil feel awful.
Sharon

Bad is never good until worse happens
auroura
UKFM Member

Postby crumblyallie » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:02 pm

Thanks for your replies, I got my results from my blood tests.

My thyroid seems to have leveled out so I'm on the same dose of treatment.

My B12 has now risen since having extra jabs, I'm having another this week then I will be back to 1 every 13 weeks.

I've also had my venlafaxine increased to 300mg and had it changed so I take 150 in the morning and 150 at night. The hope is I get better pain relief both day and night and so I can sleep better aswell as stopping depression from being a factor in my life.

It is hard to deal with complex/multiple conditions but with luck I will be back to work next week I'll have had 5 weeks off recovering from a FM flare/low b12.
crumblyallie
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:05 am

Hi
Pleased to hear your thyroid has leveled out. :hugs:
Good luck in getting back to work.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems