Numbness

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Numbness

Postby PhilDiggle » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:20 pm

For the last three to four weeks I've had numb fingers in my Left hand. Oddly though, it's not all my fingers. It's my little finger and my ring finger. Very odd sensation, almost numb like, and very little sensation to heat/cold.

It's almost like when you're getting pins and needles, that numbness you feel before hand.. I just never get the actual pins and needles bit.

I thought it was from leaning on my work desk on my elbow that I was somehow trapping a nerve, yet even when I dont lean on it and don't sit at the desk for several days, the numbness is still there. It's constantly there, when I wake up to when I goto sleep.

Feel as though I've got a touch of it in my left foot too, but not as bad.

Wondered if any other FM people have this senstation? I know my mum gets this feeling but she has MS.

I'm also currently in the stages of fibrofog (undiagnosed) so very worn out, tired, grumpy, and an all together feeling that I'm not here (dreamy like) etc etc

:dunno:
Freelance Graphics Designer, Full-Time University Student and a Novice Photographer. I like to keep myself busy!!

My Blog on dealing with not feeling normal!
PhilDiggle
UKFM Member

Re: Numbness

Postby miajane » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:32 pm

Hi Phil,
I get this in my hands and my legs and feet, it seems to be more common for me at least when it's cold. I do have low blood pressure though and therefore bad circulation.
I have had it right through my right side, at first it was thought I'd had a stroke or MS but MRI scan came back normal.
I keep the area affected moving, if it's in my fingers I just keep flexing them and gently turning my wrist, helps a bit and stops it getting worse.
Be careful if it's in your legs or feet cos I find it affects my balance and I can fall over easily.

Hope you feel a bit better soon :hugs:
Mia xx
'Needles on your nerve ends crawl like spiders on the skin' - Enemy within by Rush
miajane
UKFM Member

Postby PhilDiggle » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:29 pm

Yeah I do tend to get put of balance quite easily when I feel it slightly in my feet.

I keep moving my fingers and wrist, as well as massaging them but I dont seem to get any feeling back in them.

It's really strange, and for someone who uses the computer keyboard quite frequently - its annoying! Hopefully it'll go away on it own soon :)
Freelance Graphics Designer, Full-Time University Student and a Novice Photographer. I like to keep myself busy!!

PhilDiggle
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:28 pm

Up till 3 weeks ago i had never had any numbness at all.
My hands are ok, but they do get hot and swell.
My main prob is the numbness and pins and needles in my feet, i have started to get it towards the afternoon and feel it worse when i get into bed.
My feet are always cold. It is very painful.

Sorry i have no answers on how to ease it.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby velvet » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:53 pm

i get this - it comes and goes. i can have months without it then places on one of my limbs will keep getting numb - it feels like areas of my flesh has turned to plasticine as i can feel around them with the bits where feeling is normal but not with the actually areas that are numb. at the moment it is huge areas of my left arm at night whilst asleep - and no i am not lying on it funny - i know because when i lie on it funny it hurts before it goes numb and i wake up before its numb.
velvet
UKFM Regular

Postby dollydaydream » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:03 pm

Hi

PhilDiggle » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:20 pm

For the last three to four weeks I've had numb fingers in my Left hand. Oddly though, it's not all my fingers. It's my little finger and my ring finger. Very odd sensation, almost numb like, and very little sensation to heat/cold.

For what it is worth I had a manicure and the action of sitting with my arms stretched out in front of me - even with the weight supported, for an hour, was enough to give me 'brachialgia' for a month.

Best I can describe it as, is like sciatica of the arm. The problem was with my shoulder, I had a pain in the middle of my chest, in the outside of my elbow and in my little and ring finger. To be honest, before I saw the doctor I was a little concerned I was having a heart attack as I have a heart condition - (pain in the chest and shooting down my left arm had alarm bells ringing!!!)

If you are having pain that is in your chest or radiating down your arm, you really ought to get it checked out. It may be nothing - but it needs checking xxx
Sending you love and light

Sarah xxx
dollydaydream
UKFM Member

Postby gillshutt » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:13 am

Since your mum has MS have they tested you for it? If not then as for an MRI just to be on the safe side. I would mention this to your gp as it's a new symptom, never presume it's FM, it might not be, although it usually is.
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Postby PhilDiggle » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:55 am

Don't get a pain in my chest with it so hopefully nothing heart related!

Yeah, I mentioned to the Dr before being sent to a Blood Test that mum had MS. It went down on my notes about that. I think she mentioned that she would forward her thoughts to rhumi on MS, ME and FM. Hopefully the Rhumi will send me for a MRI - although my last experience of MRI was painful....

Also started to get muscle twitches in my forearm, which again is an all together odd sensation because of the numbness and the fact it jiggles my middle finger without notice! :lol:

PhilDiggle
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:15 am

I hate the twitches, as soon as i start to relax the twitches start.
My partner has them worse then me, his arms fly all over the place. lol.

Becasue i have not been sleeping well i have noticed he twitches most of the night.
His whole body goes.

No wonder i have to keep taking sleepers, i dont know how i can sleep next to him without him waking me.
He has never woken me by the twitches which is a big surprise to me.
I guess i must do that to during my sleep.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby fifididi88 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:16 pm

:D
Hi
I was diagnosed with FM about 6 months ago after years of problems one of the main ones being numbness and tingling in my hands and feet. I also have rhanaulds phenomenum so my hands get warm red and swollen allot. I had to go and get nerve conduction studies because the thought I had carpel tunnel syndrome before I was diagnosed with FM but all were fine with test. Later the rhematolagist said I had FM and this was one of common symptoms. So its nothing to worry about as it dosnt cause nerve damage. It is just very anoying! :lol:
fifididi88
UKFM Newbie

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems