eyes/ears

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

eyes/ears

Postby shazq » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:51 am

Hello all.

I have noticed my eyes are getting worse, i have to rely on glasses for reading.
My eyes keep going blurry and are very sensitive to light.
I have to wear sun glasses most days, i have to even wear them of an evening when traveling in the car as the on coming head lights beems into my eyes.

My eyes always trigger my migraines, they either go blurry or i get flashing lights but before i can react to it the migraine is there.

Just recently my ears have become much more sensitive, they have always been sensitive but i feel they are getting worse, i have to turn the TV down every time the ads come on.
The sound from the TV also seem to trigger my migraines.
Is anyone else affected by this?
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Re: eyes/ears

Postby pinksandblues » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:22 pm

Hi yes ive noticed a lot of vision distrubance and deteriation in my eye sight ,i have never needed glasses until the last 6 months and now my vision has gone blurry if im trying to focus and will get lights in my eyes and a weired feeling of trying to look thru water , its a funny one , i told the neuro last time i saw him but he just dismissed it and made no comment .I have also had sore and sensitive ears for a long time , they hurt a lot but no infection :?: so not sure about that one . Bit of a wreck really with all my other symptoms :!: take care ,wendy x
pinksandblues
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:54 pm

Similar things here as well. Had to wear glasses since I left school, but have been getting worse over the past few year, need a slightly stronger lens at each eye test. Ears are agony as well - think that was why I had an initial dx of meniere's disease. Ears constantly feel sore and itchy, like an ear infection. Pain/pressure so bad a times, feels like inner ear is going to explode and leave holes in the side of my head!!! :shock: My hearing is also all over the place. It can be bat-like and I can hear the slightest sound at a distance of 50 paces, then to the other extreme it can be so muffled and wooley that I shout as it seems like I can't hear my own voice. I'm also very sensitive to sounds - can't stand whistling, it cuts straight thru my ears and makes them hurt even more, low bass-type sounds causes a sort of rumbling effect, and the volume on the TV/music is up and down all the time. Have mentioned it to everyone I've seen, had so many hearing tests I now feel I'm one with the machine (tests do show there is something affecting my hearing, but no-one seems to know why :? )Resigned myself to the fact that it's just another thing I've got to live with :cry:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby hack1971 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:14 pm

:wave:
i have to wear glasses all time and have just had my eyes tested and i have to wear seprate ones now my distance one have a tint on them and then i have seprate reading glasses,but my eyes go really blurry and i get headaches from bright light.i spoke to my optican and he said my sight is of someone in there late fortys early fiftys.....and im only 38.
my ears are ok at the moment tho
nikki
hack1971
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:45 pm

My OH needs 2 pairs, 1 for reading and the other for distance.

His ears are ok too.(i think he is deaf, he keeps wanting to turn the TV up and i want the sound down..lol).
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby rosie66 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:35 pm

My eye sight has got worse,even looking at my tea to-night it was blurry, daft :crazy: , i have had my eyes tested, i told them that things are blurry,thought i needed glasses all the time,but no, do you sugest that we have our eyes tessted more than often then :mrgreen:
rosie66
UKFM Regular

Postby miajane » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:18 am

I have had problems with my ears for years, I'm partially deaf (another invisible disability). I have an unusual hearing loss in that I can hear low pitch and high pitch sounds but not the mid range.
I get really bad tinnitus as well, it often keeps me awake at night.
I have had really bad double vision when I was first dx, my optician found that my eyes weren't alligned properly whilst one was looking straight ahead the other was looking to the left. My vision is still 20/20 so he didn't want to give me glasses unless it didn't correct itself.
It did come back but if I have a bad flare the double vision comes back and my eyes are not aligned again. Something to do with the muscles not working together I can't remember what it's called.
I also get blurry vision and the feeling that things are underwater. It may be a good idea for anyone with problems to see an optician regularly.
'Needles on your nerve ends crawl like spiders on the skin' - Enemy within by Rush
miajane
UKFM Member

Postby Littles » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:42 pm

I'm glad I'm not alone with the ear pain, i have sharp pains in them that make me gasp and automatically cover them with my hands, which then sends shock waves of pain through my wrists, arms, shoulders and neck because of the sudden movement. :shock:

The tinnitus is definatley getting worse and it's on my list of things to mention to the Dr on my next trip there.
Littles
UKFM Member

Postby DerekJ » Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:01 pm

I'm not sure if you're referring to transient visual disturbances or a gradual change in your eye prescription, or perhaps both. My central vision goes from time to time but it always returns after a few blinks. As for my general eye prescription, that got steadily worse from about the age of 8.

I would have liked to have had laser surgery but I was a long way outside the range that could be corrected with the laser. So last year, at the age of 48, I had what was essentially cataract surgery and now no longer wear glasses except for reading and driving at night. This is a real boon since, due to my illness, my glasses were becoming extremely painful to wear. A real problem for me as without glasses I would have been technically classified as blind, not even partially sighted, and I was never able to wear contact lenses for very long.

I too suffer problems with my ears. Like you, I find the increase in volume for adverts extremely annoying, but they usually get fastforwarded anyway. My inner ears are affected which causes me problems with balance and occasionally tinnitus.
DerekJ
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:31 am

Hi Derek
I have to have my eyes tested every year, each year they seem to give me stronger glasses.
So mine is a gradual worsening.
So far i only have glasses for reading, i am finding that my eyes cant focus words without wearing glasses. I have to make sure i take them when going out as cant read.
My mum has just had cataract surgery, she no longer has to wear glasses throughout the day, she has to wait for another eye test for reading glasses.
My mum now has floaters since having the surgery. Do you have them Derek? she was told there is nothing you can do about them.
Glad to hear you have had your eyes done.

My eyes are ok in general but as soon they go blurry i get a instance migraine then i cant focus on anything until the migraine has gone.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby DerekJ » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:13 pm

Hi Shaz,
Yes, I have floaters but mine are not due to the surgery. I have one that looks like somebody's hung the washing out before my eye. This appeared a year ago when I had a posterior vitreous detachment but is no longer quite the intrusion on my vision that it was originally. It's surprising what we get used to.

If they've had them for more than a year or so, most people barely notice their floaters. Unless someone is virtually blinded by them, they are best left well alone. My wife, who is an optometrist, has had many patients complaining about their floaters and wishing something could be done, but when she sees them a year later they tend to say something along the lines, "Floaters, what floaters?" It's not that their floaters have disappeared, rather that the brain has got used to them and "switched them out," so a conscious effort is now required to see them.

I waited six weeks after the operations before I had my eyes tested for reading glasses, and actually I wish I had waited about three months as we had to change the glasses again a few months later!

Derek.
DerekJ
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:33 pm

Thanks for your reply Derek. I will let my mum know that in time you can block out the floaters.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby smiler22 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:06 pm

yes i too can say i get this. migraines usually start with the blurry moving bits in botto m of my vision then the head ache starts and i have to lay down in a quiet dark room.

i have had floaters on my eyes for several years. it sometimes looks like there a spider on the ceiling but there isnt it the black bits in your eyes. lol

as for the hearing i cant stand loud noise when i got migraine coming on but i also find depending on how bad the pain is and how tired i am sometimes i have to get the tv turne down even if my family say its not loud.
live life to the full as life is what you make itxx
smiler22
UKFM Regular

Postby highlandlass » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:01 am

I, too, have a problem with noise and light as well as a constant feeling that I have stuck a finger in my left eye - which is also blurry, and I sometimes get double vision.
highlandlass
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems