migranes

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

migranes

Postby clare m » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:45 am

hi to all, please can anybody give me any help or advice re migranes
i have now had that many migranes over the last month,i,m at my wits end, just as i think they have stopped wham !
they take me off my feet, saturday being my lowest night ever, i cried an held my head for
hours and hours, not even the tablets i got helped, and then all day sunday i was exhusted in bed :sick: an ive been left with a droopy right eye and fuzzy vision again... has any one got any advice that may help or relieve my head ,even the smallest thing will be hugely appreciated :woot: ,im really not coping well anymore, ive had all the usual scans,etc,to rule out other things, i really dont know what to do or how to deal with this bout of migranes...sorry for moaning but im so low clare xxxxxxxxxxx :hugs: to all with fibro xx
clare m xxxx
clare m
UKFM Newbie

Re: migranes

Postby DaveD » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:00 pm

Hi Clare

I suffer from what was described as chronic migraine :roll: , my head and eyes were very painful and it made me very sick too but ....

Since I have been on Gabapentin most of the problems have subsided - having never suffered with migraines before I can sympathise with you as they are truly bloomin aweful .

hth

Dave
You may only be someone in the world, but to someone else, you may be the world.
DaveD
UKFM Member

Postby DaveD » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:02 pm

PS: Ice packs , the soft gel type . I have to cover my whole head in them sometimes to help with the pain , one day they will freeze stuck to my head but they do help !!!

......... Oh and have a couple of these :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:
You may only be someone in the world, but to someone else, you may be the world.
DaveD
UKFM Member

Postby crumblyallie » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:16 pm

Have you got any medication for them?

I have Cluster migranes and I have Maxalt melt 10mg oral wafers. I get them on prescription.
Just as a migrane comes on I put one in my mouth and it melts away (with my migranes my stomach shuts down so I can't take any other form of meds during an attack). I then go to sleep (or rest when I can't sleep) and a couple of hours later I'm much better.

I really recomend maxalt it's the only thing I have found over the years that works, before getting them I would have migranes lasting four days and at thte end at would be sick now it's down to a couple of hours and I'm not sick anymore.
crumblyallie
UKFM Member

Postby miajane » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:22 pm

Hi Clare,
I've suffered from migraines for most of my life. My migraines can last as long as a week, I am sick, can't stand any light or noise. I have to stay in bed as I can't support or move my head. I usually have tears running down my face though I'm not actually crying.
I have tried many diferent tabs I'm on naratriptan now and they do help. They don't get rid of the pain completely but I'm able to function as it feels just like a normal tension headache.
They only work on migraines and you take them when you know one is coming on, for me that's one side of my face goes numb, this can last a few hours before I get the pain.
I can only take a max of 2 tabs every 24 hrs so the usually wear off a couple of hours before I can take more during that time I lay down in a dark room, the kids keep the noise down and I just ride it out til I can take more tabs. They work quite quickly and the effect lasts about 6 hrs but I have to keep taking them for the dduration of the migraine they don't make it go away.
Until you have got tabs that work try to keep away from any stressors such as bright lights (the computer screen is a no no for me) & loud noises, keep your head as still as poss and rest as much as you can. Some people find certain foods can cause migraines, I can eat chocolate without getting a migraine but once I have one I stay away from it as it makes it worse.
Sorry I can't be of any more help, hope you feel better soon.
Mia xx
'Needles on your nerve ends crawl like spiders on the skin' - Enemy within by Rush
miajane
UKFM Member

Postby clare m » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:42 pm

thankyou so much 4 your quick replies :D , i have written down the names of the tablets you have given me, and will give all advice a go, i to have to lie down in a dark room ,with a bucket yuk! 90% of the time i cant keep anything down including water, an i hadnt been able to focus before today to ask advice, again thankyou :grouphug: :grouphug: luv clare xxxxx
clare m xxxx
clare m
UKFM Newbie

Postby shazq » Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:00 pm

Sorry to hear you are suffering with migraines as well, i have been having so many lately, they last for about 5 days then i might get a few days off before they come back again.
I have tried so many meds i have lost count. I dont get any warning, they just appear.

I am now giving Fluoxtine a try.
My GP is sending me back to the neuro team, they saw me 2 yrs ago, they did a brain scan, lucky that was clear. They said it was more then likely to be all the strong meds i was on.
I have come off 4 meds recently but still getting them.

Good luck finding a med that suits you.
A few other i have tried. :-
Propranolol
sumatriptan
clonezapem
excedrin migrain
cant think at mo but tried lots more. :roll:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby crumblyallie » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:17 pm

clare m wrote:thankyou so much 4 your quick replies :D , i have written down the names of the tablets you have given me, and will give all advice a go, i to have to lie down in a dark room ,with a bucket yuk! 90% of the time i cant keep anything down including water, an i hadnt been able to focus before today to ask advice, again thankyou :grouphug: :grouphug: luv clare xxxxx

The not keeping anything down is just why the neuro guy prescribed maxalt melts. It also has a posh name which I can't spell correctly but is something like rizitriptan.

Good luck speaking with your Doctor.
crumblyallie
UKFM Member

Postby auroura » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:47 am

You all have my sympathy, had migraines since i was 13, although they did stop for a long time, i actually suffered a right hemianopia (loss of part of my visual field) several years ago with the most awful migraine that lasted a month!. Luckily i now only get about 3 or 4 a year but they scare me because of the loss of sight i suffered. I was hospitalised with that and since then take rizatriptan(maxmalt) ? spelling as well. They do work well for me, they dont take the pain completly away but take the edge off, i take it as soon as i feel migraine coming on, the sleep it off for few hours, usually feel a bit better when i wake. Good luck I am sure your doc will prescibe you something. People that havent suffered from true migriane dont understand how debilitating it is. Take care
Sharon

Bad is never good until worse happens
auroura
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:55 pm

Hi Clare

I know exactly how you feel, I've suffered with migraines from being 11 years old. Over time I've been prescribed various meds, the most effective at one point was sumatriptan/imigran, but now it seems to have very little effect. I have a migraine-intensity headache 24/7 which turns in a full blown migraine 2-3 times a week. I'm currently taking propanolol, which is why the migraines are now down to 2-3 a week, before this, if i was lucky, I might get one day a week that was migraine-free. The propanolol, combined with pain killers seems to make a bit of a difference to me. I've also found the 4Head menthol stick thing that your rub on your forehead can be quite soothing as well. It might be worth a visit to your GP to see if there is anything/something else that might help you. :hugs:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby clare m » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:43 pm

I GOT TO SEE MY GP AND THANKS TO ADVICE RECEIVED I GOT MAXALT MELTS PRESCRIBED
I HAD A MIGRANE TWO DAYS AFTER AND THE MELTS WORKED AND I ALSO HAD MY PHYSIO APPT
AND IM GETTING A COURSE OF HYDROTHERAPY YIPPEE :clap:
AT LAST IM GETTING SOME HELP AFTER 5YEARS OF WAITING, THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO REPLIED TO MY EMAIL HUGS TO YOU ALL
:grouphug: :grouphug: :hugs:

CLARE XXX
clare m xxxx
clare m
UKFM Newbie

Postby auroura » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:42 pm

Really pleased you got something and its working for you :D
Sharon

Bad is never good until worse happens
auroura
UKFM Member

Postby crumblyallie » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:24 am

Hi Clare

So glad you have been able to get help. It's nice to hear maxalt has worked for you. :clap:
crumblyallie
UKFM Member

Postby Jenny Wren » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:07 pm

Oooh, glad I found this thread again. Takes some navigating this site!

Just wanted to throw my meds into the discussion : I take Pizotifen daily as a preventitive med, and also Zomig if I feel a migraine breaking through. Pizotifen has been pretty successful at reducing overall number of migraines, was getting 15+ a month at one point, but Zomig is the true wonder drug for me, as it kills off about 80% of the ones that break through.
Jenny Wren
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:38 pm

I was on pizotifen when it was suspected I had Menieres disease. Sadly it didn't help, if anything made me worse. Strange how what can work for one can have the opposite effect on someone else :?

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Next

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems