bursitis - any advice appreciated!

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

bursitis - any advice appreciated!

Postby unigirl1981 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:10 pm

hi i have been diagnosd with inflammation in my hip joint (bursitis) and wondered if anyone else has had it and what helped with it.

i am in agony and my dr says beacuse i am on loads of pain relief they cant do anything else but wait 2 weeks to see if it gets better and if it doesnt then they will have to "rethink".it is never ending and i cant even get up the stairs or walk now.

i have tried heat packs, normal meds (cocodamol, diclofenac, tramadol, fentanyl patch), using pillows to support my legs etc buti am still almost crying from the pain.

anyone got any ideas? my OH says to go back next week and demand to be seen again but i dont know if;
1. i can wait that long
2. i dont want to annoy my gp as he is normally lovely and supportive so i have a feeling tere really is nothing else they can do fo me.

oooh someone help!!!!!!!!!!
Just because you have to park in a blue bay doesn't make you any less of a person!

I am the Chair of Doncaster and District Fibromyalgia Support Group; working with FMAUK and loving it.
unigirl1981
UKFM Member

Re: bursitis - any advice appreciated!

Postby groovy_chick » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:01 pm

oh you poor thing :hugs: I had hip bursitis once and it was awful pain. The thing is,and I am going to be a devil's advocate here, how did your GP conclude it was bursitis and not sacro-iliac joint dysfunction or referred pain from your back or from your abdo? Also, you can have inflammatory type bursitis (which is what bursitis is after all - inflammation of the bursa sac) but you can also have bacterial bursitis in which case you would need antibiotics as well as anti-inflammatories. Later on possibly treatment with aspiration/steroid injection etc
With regards to pain management of it...well, when I had it I wasn't allowed to take any anti-inflammatories due to my stomach so was stuck with co-codamol or just paracetamol on the top of my gabapentin. It eventually resolved itself on its own with regular pain relief and hot batch and gentle streches but I found it difficult to sleep on my side (and that meant either side strangely enough)for ages.
Ideally the treatment is rest and painkillers and once inflammation subsides then mobilisation. So I would say, if you are in agony and have done all you can at home and taken all the painkillers safely, then I would go back to your GP either tomorrow or on emergency weekend/out of hours appointment because it could well be something as I mentioned above.
Good luck and hope it gets better soon, sending lots of virtual choccies and booze to numb the pain :hugs:
Nuts on the road! nim nim nim
groovy_chick
UKFM Member

Postby fabme » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:42 pm

I really feel for you, I had it quite a few years ago after a child remmed a supermarket trolley into my hip, and this was before the fibro and it was so painfull. From what I remember it was anti-inflammatories and I ended up having steroid injected into the hip and lots of rest, I back up what the other poster said there's many reasons for it so go back to see your gp if not improving
fab
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
fabme
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:25 pm

Hi unigirl :wave:

Sorry to hear you are in lots of pain.
Hope it eases soon. :hugs:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby unigirl1981 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:30 pm

groovy_chick wrote: but I found it difficult to sleep on my side (and that meant either side strangely enough)for ages.

oddly enough, i cant sleep on either side too! i wonder why that is, maybe it stretches the bad hip?? anyway it really really hurts and i actually cried when i pulled up in the car to pick the kids up just thinking of the 100ft walk to get them.

oh well, will see howi go over the weekend and monday morning i am calling them. why should i be in so much pain when, like you say, it could be something else.

all gp did was lie me on the couch fully clothed and bed my leg and rotate me feet.

didnt even pull me trews down to feel my hip so i dont know how much she could gain from that?
Just because you have to park in a blue bay doesn't make you any less of a person!

I am the Chair of Doncaster and District Fibromyalgia Support Group; working with FMAUK and loving it.
unigirl1981
UKFM Member

Postby groovy_chick » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:45 pm

unigirl1981 wrote:

all gp did was lie me on the couch fully clothed and bed my leg and rotate me feet.

didnt even pull me trews down to feel my hip so i dont know how much she could gain from that

oh well I guess based on that she was testing how well your hip rotates and whether you might have sciatica etc. Did she press on your hip and feel the back of your pelvis at all?
Nuts on the road! nim nim nim
groovy_chick
UKFM Member

Postby smiler22 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:58 pm

ive never had burstitus in my hip bit i did in my foot. it was mums 40th birthday and i stood on a ladder and over reached. didnt know i had done anything till next day i trie to get out of bed to get to work but couldnt walk on it. had all the xrays etc and then got tod it was burstitus of my foot. i had to hobble about on crutches, and had it strapped up. i still went to work as at the time i had just left school and was working in an office. but every time i wanted to get to the loo, because of space. i had to get one of the lads to help me hobble through. as wasnt room to use crutches.

i had to take the pain killers. i think it was ibrufen and some other at the time. and just rest rest rest.
live life to the full as life is what you make itxx
smiler22
UKFM Regular

Postby LinzWorld » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:25 pm

I would also queston whether it is definitely bursitis and not myofascial trigger points. Sciatica is normally a different kind of pain.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Postby auroura » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:33 pm

I had bad pain in my right hip, i was lucky lol that i was at the rheumy clinic and mentioned it, i ended up with an injection, it helped alot. If it does not go, ask to be referred to have an injection, it really can help alot. Good luck
Sharon

Bad is never good until worse happens
auroura
UKFM Member

Postby unigirl1981 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:02 pm

groovy_chick wrote:[

oh well I guess based on that she was testing how well your hip rotates and whether you might have sciatica etc. Did she press on your hip and feel the back of your pelvis at all?

no she didnt, i think i am going back this week as the anti inflammitories were hurting my stomach and making me bloat up and feel awful.

i stopped taking them a day ago and the stomach pain has stopped. hip hurts like mad still though :evil:

unigirl1981
UKFM Member

Postby tiredofmoaning » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:28 am

so sorry to hear you r in so much pain, the only thing that helped me when i had it under my feet was the old fashioned hot and cold therapy but always start with the cold and end with the cold. god bless sending a big warm hug from the heart. :grouphug:
tiredofmoaning
UKFM Member

Postby saplum40 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:53 pm

HI

Newly diagnosed with FMS and suffered from chronic hip pain for 9 years now. They keep telling me its nothing, then theres something, at first its buritis and have had three injections, not helped at all and now very frustrated at the lack of care, It seems that asa soon as your diagnosed whatever else might be wrong with you must be down to the FMS...... ITS NOT YOU IDIOTS!!!! (sorry just venting....feel for you) completely understand, not sure what to say, just keep your chin up, one day we will get proper help from the NHS professionals, well heres hoping. :wave:
saplum40
UKFM Newbie

Postby smiler22 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:51 am

i keep getting really cramping spasms in my hips and they hurt when i sit and stand etc. i just thouhgt they are part of the fibro but now i am wondering if i need to mention it to gp. as it affects me walking also.
live life to the full as life is what you make itxx
smiler22
UKFM Regular

Postby LinzWorld » Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:58 pm

Definitely mention it to your GP.

But if they think it's down to Fibro, it's most likely going to be down to myofascial trigger points. They're a common issue with Fibro but need different treatment.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems