Do you have M.E. too

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Do you have M.E. too

Postby princess » Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:36 pm

I was diagnosed with ME and Firbo 15 years ago, as time has gone by they seem to have ran symptom wise into each other - so sometimes im not sure waht is what, but the tiredness/exhaustion i always put to the ME.
I would be interested to know how many of you have ME/Fibro rather than fibro itself.
princess
princess
UKFM Regular

Re: Do you have M.E. too

Postby shazq » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:48 pm

I have never been tested for M.E.
I have noticed that they do have a lot of simular symptoms though.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby pollyanna » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:20 pm

Hi Princess:) :wave:
Yes I was first told I had ME 23years ago then about 3 years later I was also told I had fibro as well, sorry for the short post but am not doing very well at the mo sorry. :needhug:
Wishing you and everyone the best as always.
Take Care.
Maggie :) :wave:
pollyanna
UKFM Member

Postby rosie66 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:22 pm

Yes princess, i have M.E too,i think i suffer more from that than fibro,but i am not really sure, i don't have so much pain as most of you on here, but when it comes to energy, i have none,and i never want to get up in the mornings,thats why i am glad that i am still able to do the school run,it makes me get out of bed,if it wasn't though that i would be quite happy to stay in bed for as long as i could :mrgreen:
rosie66
UKFM Regular

Postby tiredofmoaning » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:08 am

wonder how many of us are suffering from cf and dont know it, i was diagnosed with fibro six years ago and i have mentioned to my doctor many times that if he could help me with the extreme tiredness i felt i am sure that i could cope wth the pain much easier but he has never once mentioed to me cf i did not know it existed until i joined this forum. oh god when will someone stand up for us. :needhug:
tiredofmoaning
UKFM Member

Postby tiredofmoaning » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:13 am

me again so sorry this dammed fog i meant to say me and not cf(chronic fatigue. :dunno:
tiredofmoaning
UKFM Member

Postby LinzWorld » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:37 am

Chronic Fatigue is a symptom of FIbro too.

And btw, there isn't yet any test at all for CFS/ME (not even something like the tender point test). There may be in the future if the XMRV link is determined.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Postby LuvCats » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:03 pm

I attended a cfs/me clinic in October and I was told you had to be diagnosed as having it.
I was dianosed with fibro in April.
The cfs/me clinic consultant said he needed to obtain m medical records to "exclude anything else".
He also told me he thinks I'm depressed and should be on anti-depressants and he seemed annoyed when I told him that I'm not.
He wanted me to complete a "HADS" depression and anxiety score sheet and I refused because I feel it's irrelevant to me.
I explained to him that the "HADS" was assessing people for possible self harm or suicide and that does not apply to me. He was very agrieved and wrote to my gp saying that I was "unable to complete the HADS questionnaire, which is not true because I chose not to complete it and I gave him rational intelligent reasons for my descision.
He didn't like it bcause I told him I feel my condition is largely physical and I do not want to be treated as a pychiatric patient.
I'm still awaiting a follow up appointment at the clinic and to see whether he comes up with a "diagnosis".
I'm not very hopeful of gaining anything positive from this clinic.. :sleep:
LuvCats
UKFM Member

Postby princess » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:55 pm

ME one of the things that you get is depression, as you have no list for life, so your Dr was probably right with the anti-depressants.
I have been there and still get one amitrip every night, just to keep things stable.
So maybe you need to address this with your GP on your next visit.
they tend to run into each other, but the energy or lack of it is more of the ME than Fibro - strange they are both so similar.
princess
UKFM Regular

Postby LuvCats » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:07 am

princess wrote:ME one of the things that you get is depression, as you have no list for life, so your Dr was probably right with the anti-depressants.
I have been there and still get one amitrip every night, just to keep things stable.
So maybe you need to address this with your GP on your next visit.
they tend to run into each other, but the energy or lack of it is more of the ME than Fibro - strange they are both so similar.

I agree depression can be part of ME but I'm not depressed and I don't need antidepressants.
Doctors sometimes need to treat people as individuals and listen to what we are saying about how our condition affects us, rather than assuming that we all
suffer with the same medical book symptoms.
My gp is very understanding and he recognises that I am not depressed and therefor no further discussion is needed with him on this issue. :D
LuvCats
UKFM Member

Postby LinzWorld » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:14 pm

However, medications orginally marketed as anti-depressants are now being used for a lot of painful conditions, including Fibro because of their beneficial effect on neurotransmitter levels.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Postby LuvCats » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:31 pm

Yes I've tried some of them for pain but unfortunately I've experienced multiple chemical sensitivities and had to discontinue, but the cfs/me doctor insisted that I must be depressed and said I should be on AD's for depression.
Personally I feel this type of assumption and insistence doesn't help when some doctors appear to not want to actually listen to patients and to work in partnership with them.
I've had the worst possible year of my entire life so far but I'm definetely not depressed. The only person who knows how I really feel is me not a doctor. :D
LuvCats
UKFM Member

Postby princess » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:57 pm

I am very sensitive to drugs - i get Mobic (meloxicam) 2 a day for cramps, 1 amitrip small doze at night with two tramadol and a BP tablet.
Amitrip can be used to aid sleep even althoguh you are only getting a childs doze of the anti depressant tablet.
Some are used for different things.
A square of real black chocolate is supposed to help depression, but i hate black chocolate, something to do with the seratonins in the body i believe.
princess
princess
UKFM Regular

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems