Anxiety

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Anxiety

Postby *Lisa* » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:36 pm

:wave:

Anxiety is one of the most commen assosiated conditions

Anxiety is a huge mental illness unto itself let alone FM on top!!

Controlling both each day is a mental battle & exhaustion

My question is.....

There is so many different types of anxiety

panic attacks/agrophobia/OCD/health anxiety etc.....

What one do you most suffer with and whats your triggers?.... is it the pain alone or have you suffered for years and before FM?
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Re: Anxiety

Postby LuvCats » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:16 pm

I get panic attacks when travelling in the car.
I've had to stop driving because of it and I get awful panic attacks as a passenger.
I refuse point blank to travel on the motorway because I'm so terified.
There doesn't seem to be any particular trigger, ie the pain but I've only been experiencing this since I got fibro'. :oops:
LuvCats
UKFM Member

Postby LinzWorld » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:32 pm

Mine is completely related to Fibro. Before Fibro, I was a tough cookie, usually very chilled, sometimes passionate, but never really anxious (terrified sometimes with the sports I did, but I think that's just my brain trying to make me be sensible, lol!). I had vertigo, but learnt to climb. I had claustrophobia but dealt with commuting on the Tube. Not a lot fazed me.

As my Fibro got worse, I got increasingly anxious about anything.

When my Fibro was brought under control, so was the anxiety.

Anxiety is linked to poorer outcomes with Fibro - the more severely affected seem to get anxiety as a symptom because of the huge changes in the brain that take place.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Postby princess » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:15 pm

I have had full blown agrophobia 3 times in my life.
Once the first time when a child over a bad accident - it wasnt dealt with properly, so when i lost my parents one after theother with each one i had agrophobia!!!!
this is pure unadultarated Anxiety, you are not scared of the outdoors you are just plain scared!!! I got scared to go under the shower - anyway i had a course of Lustral both times and the PhyNurse from Clinic and each time i got better.
But i went from ll stone - under 7 stone and was near death the last time.
Thankfully i collapsed and was rushed to A&E were a great DR suggested it was all pain related and grief, my Dr had said just nerves and put me on Valium for l year and then stopped it - i went cold turkey for 8 months and was very very ill.
It was a very hard time, i have never spoken about this before, but if it helps someone out there then thats good.
But depression, anxiety, it a dreadful situation.
I am just so glad i go through it myself but sorry for those who are still suffering.
princess
princess
UKFM Regular

Postby matthew » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:03 am

Anxiety is a huge problem for me, especially at the moment. I just can't settle at all.

I take a pretty powerful anti-psychotic called sulpiride (800mg a day at the moment, but it has varied between 600mg and 800mg over the years) but even that doesn't completely relieve the symptoms: butterflies in my stomach and sweating palms etc.

I had anxiety long before I came down with fibro, but it's definitely got worse since I was diagnosed. But maybe learning that it's now my messed-up brain chemistry and not my messed-up childhood that it is the root cause should be a positive thing for me to focus on, as I have made big progress in overcoming the anxiety associated with my past.

Just putting my CBT into action there! :D
"I'd rather struggle through life with my eyes open than sail through life with them closed"
matthew
UKFM Member

Postby Harley » Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:12 am

My anxiety is pre FM, but the FM has made it worse.I used to be really laid back and unfazed, would do anything that I felt like doing and went where I liked.

When I injured my back I started having episodes where one minuit I was walking along the next I was collapsed in a heap on the floor,I get pressure on my spinal cord and my legs will just go numb and go from under me. At first I wouldn't go out the house but then I started going out but as long as someone was with me but it still took a lot of effort.

Got my head around all that then the FM kicked in fully and I was back to square one, stuck in the house.My GP is a brilliant woman and very understanding so she started to come around here and took me through exercises to overcome the anxiety herself and it has worked to some degree. I do go out alone now but it does have to be somewhere familiar like college or the local shop but if it's somewhere strange or busy my daughter will always come with me.

I think anxiety is taken too lightly by some people as it can really ruin your life if you let it and to me it's one of the worst symptoms I have, as a 38 year old usually independent person it just makes me mad that I have to rely on other people for help.I have seen a shrink and tried all sorts of tablets but neither helped, for me it's a mind over matter problems and the two are in a constant battle.
Harley
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:19 am

I have had hypnotherapy/councilling and 2lots of CBT!

Had my first panic attack at 14

My anxiety triggered for the worse after a trauma and then FM heightened and its been a battle since with on going therapies!!

Iv learnt and know all the techniques but what therapists think and many people who dont live with anxiety is that i get drained and exhausted of self talking and battling thoughts and sensations....

Its a 24/7 thing not once a week.... i try so hard and soon as i have a flare or something comes up that stresses me im off!

Its that cycle.....

I also find some therapists patronising!!....IE... **some people just need a kick up the ass**... **anxiety wont kill you (then laughs)** :evil:

They talk as if were stupid/silly :evil:

If all i had was anxiety i feel i could control it better but one agrivates the other which is all time so :banghead:
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby gillshutt » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:38 am

Serious anxiety can be very debilitating and can end up getting worse and worse to the point that you shut yourself away from the things that cause it. If that's social anxiety then it can end with not going out so you don't have to meet people and you end up a recluse scared to open your front door.

It certainly isn't something to take lightly and gp's shoud take it seriously straight away. The sooner you can get it under control the better it will be and the less life changing.

Anyone with anxiety should see a sensible, understanding gp ASAP. If yu don't have one then ditch the one you have and try and find one :hugs:
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Postby *Lisa* » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:39 pm

Anxiety can be triggered off throught life so its also finding a way to control syptoms as and when the anxiety comes also trying to stop those triggers!!.... easy said then done :roll: but can be achieved
*Lisa*

Postby bookworm » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:54 am

I have suffered agrophobia, anxiety, depression and social phobia. The agrophobia was way before whatever I actually have became obvious, and took a lot of strength and patience to get through it, although I still am not great about being out of my 4 walls.
The others I have suffered on and off over the years, the last 18 months being the most difficult. I rarely answer a telephone unkess I know exactly who is calling, very rarely answer the door and if anyone I don't know speaks to me outside I feel the panic rise in the pit of my stomach - silly I know, but there we go - it's just one of those things. However no one else seems to realise that Iam feeling that way as I keep a smile plastered to my face - sort of look like I've been too up close and personal with the botox needle :lol:
bookworm
UKFM Member

Postby Hedgewitch » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:30 am

Gawd, i thought it was just me!!!!!!!!! I thought I was nuts! Seriously, I can't believe you all feel it too. I never suffered any anxiety until the Fibro struck and even then it took about two years before it really got hold of me. Even in the beginning I was a youth worker helping troubled teenagers, I played hockey, I was at University, I had two small kids but I went to belly-dancing and was on the school board and chair of the residents association (that I set up). I was so sociable! I loved people! My life was full and exciting and I lapped it up -I felt invincible. Then i got ill and everything crumbled.

Now, huh, now I don't even recognize that person; I don't answer my house phone; my mobile is on silent and I only text but if someone ever does leave a voicemail I can't listen to it, I feel sick at the thought. I don't answer my door. And this week is typical, I haven't been out of the house for 7 days, I can't even bring myself to go into my beautiful secluded garden. What is wrong with me? Why can't i make myself? WHy can't I just do it? I used to hate being in my house and as soon as breakfast was tidies up I'd have been out with the kids no matter what the weather was like. I thought I was mad before I read all of your posts. Thanks for sharing everyone.

I just want my life back. People who sort-of-know-me think I choose to be anti-social, pah!

xxxxxx
'to thine own self be true'
Hedgewitch
UKFM Member

Postby gillshutt » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:28 am

They have found that people with FM have too many and not enough of certain chemicals. One of these is substance p which controls our fight or flight mechanism. We are on constant alert (hence the sleeping with one eye open and not getting the right sort of sleep) If we are on constant alert for danger then it would seem logical to me that going out, answering the phone to strangers etc would heighten anxiety as we would be worried it was a threat or a danger in some way. Since we don't get angry (fight) we resort to flight (run away, don't answer, stay away from people)
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Postby Hedgewitch » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:39 pm

That's really interesting and makes perfect sense, thanks gill. I am feeling quite impressed with myself today because I went out! I live in a very small village which has a lovely little tearoom and a post office. So, i posted a letter and went for tea. It's tight across the road from my house but at least it was outside!

xxxxx
'to thine own self be true'
Hedgewitch
UKFM Member

Postby princess » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:51 pm

My agrophobia was caused with trauma when i was 5 - its gone now and the anxiety etc., has gone, but it has left me with a adult phobia, it dosent show its self very often, but i cant walk under anything large, like skyscraper or such unless it has a door right infront of me.
I dont even remember the accident at 5, but i have heard about it and my cousin in australis who lived with us then has a recurring dream that associates with it - strange eh!
I never took pt because i couldnt go into the gym hall unless i walked around the sides of it - that has never left me, tried to go into Glasgow huge museum, ended up on my fours as i was so scared.
its been with me 52 years now and there is no way to get me unafraid of that situation - but in my day you had trauma and that was it, you just got on with life.
My hubby wont go to Dr or Dentist because he was left in hospital at 8 to get legs, feet and toes broken and reset.
Life was much worse then, thankfully we have professionals who can help us more now, or at least try and help.
I wish my mum had taken me to see soemone after the accident then id be able to go places like New York etc., i darent go anywhere they have high towers etc.,
Sad but so very true!
princess
princess
UKFM Regular

Postby gillshutt » Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:36 pm

Well done Hedgewitch :D One small step for a witch one giant leap for an FMer :hugs:
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Next

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems