Anxiety

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Re: Anxiety

Postby gillshutt » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:03 am

:D @hedgewitch
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Postby bookworm » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:02 am

Knew you would do it hun :)

Im so glad all went well and you had a great time :D
bookworm
UKFM Member

Postby hamstergirl » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:37 am

Hi

Well ive ready these posts a number of times and i think i can finally admit that im suffering with terrible anxiety.

Of all the medication i have been given to try i have only taken them for approx 3 days , why because when i wake up and feeling lousy from side effects i convince myself if i take another tablet the next day i might not wake up - stupid, irrational but i cant help it. When i actually take the tablet i immediately feel as though i cant breath and have to take my inhaler. I dont have a panic attack but am sure if i dont get help i will one day.

I have been given pregablin but stopped taking that because of pressue in my head and then the breast pain was agony. I've got to go back to pain clinic on 29th Jan to see how i'm gettin on with this pregablin but have decided that i need to treat this anxiety or i just wont get anywhere.

I'm scared of driving anywhere just in case i have a crash, yet before fm i use to drive everywere, scarborough, scunthorpe anywhere without a single thought.

Could someone please tell me if they are taking anything for anxiety and does it help. I think i'm going to make a docs appointment before i go back to pain clinic to show that i am trying to resolve my anxiety.

I thought i could make this go away with trying to be positive but it keeps creeping its way back in.

Lorraine
hamstergirl
UKFM Member

Postby ladymanvers » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:07 pm

Went through this big-time in 1997; always an anxious sort due to upbringing; FM makes it ten times worse...the big thing I've found - and many a GP DOESN'T understand (unless they've suffered themselves they never will from a text book) - is this self help mantra while suffering a panic attack:

FACE - turn to FACE your fears and swallowed feelings
ACCEPT - very important to take on board those feelings while they're gripping you; don't try to run (it's that feeling that even when you're feeling ok you are waiting for the anxiety to return and the hyper vigilance and fear of that)
FLOAT - let time pass - DO NOT analyze, you'll come to wrong conclusions while the adrenalin and cortisol are flooding through your system
LET TIME PASS - do or watch something mundane; don't think or LINK your feelings to person or place you're with or in (that's a crippler if you do cos you feel you'll lose control which you won't)
NO SELF PITY: that's another crippler cos the hole is dug deeper with each feeling of this...

And remember, the most important thing; You are NOT crazy (even if your adrenalin is causing some pretty weird thoughts); You will NOT lose control!!! Anxiety attacks affect all the NICEST people and the perfectionist people pleasers cos all we want really is for evreything and everyone in our life to be trouble free and happy and we think we can fix it but we can't!

Lots of love and Light and Peace to ALL who are suffering/have suffered this.
Practice of this mantra every time a panic descends will reduce their severity and frequency and eventually you learn to recognise when these feelings are building BEFORE they hit a number 10 as I call it (grade your anxiety 1-10; 10 being the worst) and then when it's building past a 5 or 6, take steps to consciously calm down....

Love and many :hugs:

Ju.xxx :blowkiss:
ladymanvers
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:57 pm

Thank you ladymanvers some good points there :mrgreen:
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby loubie » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:23 pm

hi all :wave:

have just read through your posts on anxiety
an wow! it has really opened my eyes to a lot of my own problems
i will not make a phone call to anyone i do not know
i hate going anywhere on my own not even to local shop
most of the time don't wont to leave the house
will not open the door to unexpected callers
have always been like this although it has got worse over the last 12months
it was a big step for me to put my first post on this forum
but that was the best thing i have done for a long time :D

glad i am not loopy

loubie x :grouphug:
loubie xx

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are
no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of
UKFibromyalgia.
loubie
UKFM Regular

Postby ladymanvers » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:19 am

You def aint loopy Loubie! Those things you daren't do are as a result of linking. When you are having an anxiety attack and the adrenalin and cortisol are acting upon you just as sure as if you'd been given an unwanted injection of a drug, your primeval self (your inner cavewoman) links - by way of a 'survival' technique - your fear with where you're at.

For instance, if you were walking past a gate on a street and suddenly a viscious, snarling dog jumped up at that gate to try and leap over and attack you, you would be terified, link that feeling with the dog and the gate in order for you to learn to avoid that road in future.

That's all well and good with a REAL fear but if your anxiety attack happens (sometimes delayed from a slow build up over weeks of stress) for instance in the supermarket, you instantly (before rational thought has chance to kick in) LINK your feelings with the supermarket. Hence you then want to avoid the supermarket next time. If you then give in and DO avoid it you then re-inforce the neural link in the brain (learnt behaviour).
This linking can affect all sorts of things, sometimes people, loved ones or pets and then you start to think you're 'mad'; 'crazy' or will lose control. I read in a self help book YEARS ago about case studies . One nurse who looked after small babies in the maternity ward had been overworking, over stressing and was over tired (that happens a LOT to FM sufferers doesn't it with even minimal efforts?) and anyhow, this nurse, poor girl, had a panic attack at work while carrying a baby; LINKED it to the baby and was so terrified she thought she might throw the baby down. This unbidden thought caused another rush of adrenalin which re-inforced the thought and prolonged the panic attack!

So, do you see, even with a situation like that, that makes one think one is 'nuts', YOU AREN't!! Remember that all of you who suffer anxiety to that degree. You are anxious, not crazy!!!

Love and hugs you intelligent lot (only clever folk suffer badly from this cos we analyse and convince ourselves we're mad!!!

Ju.x :blowkiss:
ladymanvers
UKFM Member

Postby gillshutt » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:49 am

Also, because people with FM have messed up brain chemicals, including th efight or flight chemical substance P, we are on constant alert for trouble and see it everywhere. Our body is telling us there is something scary out there... hence the 'don't answer the phone or ring strangers' 'don't go to the door' 'don't go out' Your brain is wary of everything in case it's a threat.

Unfortunately all you can do is push through it, it's not going to go away... but then the linking kicks in if anything, even something small, does happen :( A tiny upset and your brain screams 'SEE I TOLD YOU IT WAS DANGEROUS! :shock: :shock: :yikes: ) and then we have anxiety attacks. It's a difficult ont to deal with and takes a lot of struggle. :hugs:
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Postby ladymanvers » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:28 pm

Yes Gill,

My 'alarm' response is very over exaggerated; even when the doorbell rings or the letterbox bangs when the postman comes it makes me 'jump' and startle like a frightened rabbit; my OH laughs at me for it! :oops:

Ju.x :blowkiss:

PS; It's snowing here again today :( Fed up with it all now...
ladymanvers
UKFM Member

Postby emylou29 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:55 pm

Firstly thanks Ju for pointing me in this direction :o)

I suffer with various things including Anxiety, OCD, minor panic attacks and Palputations... I had mild palputations when pregnant but other than that I have never suffered with any of the other symptoms mentioned! The anxiety keeps me awake at night at times, I find it hard to switch off and the OCD I believe is related to the anxiety as its constant checking things are off and doors are locked.. etc

I have read a lot about people suffering with anxiety, does anyone have OCD that has started or got worse since being disgnosed.
emylou29
UKFM Newbie

Postby hamstergirl » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:32 pm

Hi

I'm at docs tom. Hoping to discuss the severity of my anxiety. Just hope I don't back out tomorrow morning. I should have gone Thursday but cancelled.

I feel so silly saying I'm too scared to drive and too scared to take tablets! He'll prob think I'm nuts but feel I need this sorted because it's cost me a job! Now I've no job but hopefully will whenmy nerves have calmed down!

Lorraine
hamstergirl
UKFM Member

Postby loubie » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:52 am

hi lorraine
when you get up in the morning and getting ready to go to the docs
just remember we are all with you too
you are not silly and defo not nuts. try an be strong tell him/her all about it
be thinking of you
all the best :hugs:
loubie x
let us know how you get on :hugs:
loubie xx

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are
UKFibromyalgia.
loubie
UKFM Regular

Postby hamstergirl » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:15 pm

Hi

Well i went to see my gp today. He was really nice and he has suggested that i go and see a councillor. He said that because i've a phobia about taking tablets this would be my best option and he thinks its more effective in the long run.

He his going to arrange this, it will be at the docs and waiting list is on approx 3/4 weeks!

Lorraine
hamstergirl
UKFM Member

Postby loubie » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:27 pm

well done you !
lets hope it all works out for you now
and get the help you need
loubie x
loubie xx

UKFibromyalgia.
loubie
UKFM Regular

Postby ladymanvers » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:49 pm

Well done Lorraine! The first step is always the hardest... :clap: :)
ladymanvers
UKFM Member

PreviousNext

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems