Terrible Anxiety!!!

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Terrible Anxiety!!!

Postby Steven101 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:43 pm

Hello Guys!

I know anxiety can be a symptom of fibro, but I'm at my last tether here. The past few weeks have been terrible, I've been having awful panic attacks in public places and in my college class! They have been so bad that I've had to make excuses to leave class. I really can't take it anymore. They often last the duration of the class, which can range from 2-3 hours.

I tried going to the doctors today, but I had to leave because the panic attacks are so bad. I normally control them to a degree, but these ones are my worst nightmare. I have missed three lessons in the last two weeks because I'm so scared of having a panc attack.

My English class is the worst because my tutor asks people to read out loud! He did this Wed and I thought I was going to pass out. I was shaking so much I couldn't hold my bottle of water. I could feel my face burning and my heart was beating so fast. I worry if people notice my red face. Sometimes I go white because I'm so anxious. Do you have any advice please? I need help, but I'm to anxious to go to the doctor.

Thank you
Steven101
UKFM Member

Re: Terrible Anxiety!!!

Postby gillshutt » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:10 pm

Call your doc out to the house. Explain on the phone what is happening and say you can't get to the surgery. Anxiety can seem trivial to those who have never come across it but the symptoms are serious to those who have it. what you need to try and keep in mind is that the symptoms won't kill you even though it can feel like it.

Do try not to avoid all contact with college in case you have an attack and running out of the class could make you worse in the long run... if you escape every time you have an attack it can become a learnt behavioural response so it's the only way you can cope. You need to try and stick it out to prove to yourself that you can do it.

Do have a word with your tutor at college and get them to speak to your English tutor so they know not to choose you to speak unless you give them a nod or whatever to say it's ok. Your college will do all they can to help as they'd rather you were in lessons than out.

As your gp for counselling to help you, if you need any advice whie you wait you can pm me anytime :hugs:
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Postby *Lisa* » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:28 am

Hi Steve :wave:

I am an anxiety sufferer have been for many many years. My panic attacks started at 14 :shock:

I have had all the therapies going!!

A few questions first as we need to find out what the trigger is.

Have you been under alot of stress?
Started any new meds?

My advice being a sufferer and knowing exactly how you feel is....
I know the sypmtoms of panic is absolute awful and you feel the need to run away from the situation you are in BUT if you do your giving into the anxiety which can in turn make things worser for you.
Panic attacks cannot kill you and it will go after a few minutes.
Make sure you breathe in and out slowly, sit down, and try to distract your mind....

Try to see the panic through... once you do you'll biuld your confidence up and they will decrease.

Therapies are good for anxiety like CBT

if you wanna talk more PM me anytime :hugs:
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby LinzWorld » Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:24 am

This isn't a Fibro problem. It's a problem you need to deal with seperately. Don't blame it on the Fibro.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Postby *Lisa* » Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:33 am

Having FM does heighten anxiety sypmtoms.... well in my case it does.

FM was NOT the orginal trigger of my anxiety way back then BUT it does keep my anxiety alive meaning im fightening pain & anxiety 24/7

In my case they both agrivate each other and to control both is such a struggle and drains all your energy.

FM IMO can cause anxiety symptoms as in my case all the strange & frightenen sypmtoms panic me and with many months of worrying about the symptoms and what was happening to my body anxiety set in!

I have had fibromyalgia for 10 yrs now & have lived with anxiety for over 20 so i know alot about both illnesses but only speaking on my own opinions and my personal health.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby gillshutt » Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:30 pm

A lot of people with FM get anxiety directly caused by the increased pain and exhaustion. If you suffer badly in a certain situation then the next time you are in the same situation you can get an anxiety attack because you are afraid the same thing will happen again.

The best thing you can do is try and stick it out to prove you yourself that you are ok. If this is too much then you need to work at it, slowly getting better in the situation. Running away is the worst thing so do please have a word with our tutor so he can make allowances and help you over come this.

The longer you leave it the harder it will be to stop them from happening so get some help now rather than later.

pm me anytime if you would like some help.

Gill x x :hugs:
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Postby LinzWorld » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:50 am

Fibro can worsen anxiety but severe anxiety like this needs treating as a mental health problem. Having Fibro does not mean you get uncontrolled panic attacks for no reason whatsoever, so it needs to be treated as a seperate condition.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Postby princess » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:55 pm

Anxiety is bad, its scarey, is frightening, its just terrible, i know i have been there 3 times and i therefore am able to reply truthfully to you.
i have suffered with depression 3 times that resulted in anxiety, and that was because i was so pained and without any good medication - it took lustral to help me out.
You know you will not die of this, you know it will pass, you know to breathe properly and do all the breathe into a paper bag crap..................and yes this does help.
BUT when you are in the middle of a attack and you have that feeling, these helpers are just not there for you, all you think is that you are dying, or yu are suffocating and cant get enough wind into you. Or you are having a heart attack.

I agree that this is what is called a Mental Health Problem but for those who have just started panic attacks, these words can often worry them even more, there is still a stigma about the words Mental Health Problem.
However if you are suffering from panic badly then you need to go to your surgery or if you cant get your GP in and explain it is affecting your day to day life.

Sometimes it only takes a course of anti-anxiety or anti-depressants to help you, so there is no need to suffer.

of course there are people to whom tablets and medication does not help them, bu tif you dont try the meds how do you know it wont help, it did me, Lustral anti-depressants.

Please dont worry about the mention of Mental Health Issues, or problems, just get yourself to your GP, or get him in, and explain how this is affecting your life - i lost a year due to anxiety where i couldnt even get out the front or back door - 6 months after starting meds i was in australia, in the bush standing on my own, took a picture and sent it to my Dr lol

So please dont suffer this horrible illness go see about it.

princess
princess
UKFM Regular

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems