Problem swollowing?

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Problem swollowing?

Postby angelwear » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:48 pm

I have been having a problem swallowing for a few weeks now, but thought i was going to choke last night! As i swallowed a small piece of toast it felt as though the muscles in my gullet just behind my breast bone had gone into spasm and the food was lodged for a good minute(seemed a lifetime) and my mouth just watered, i was so scared!.My FM has not been good for a week or so, so i saw the doctor today and he said it was nothing to do with the FM and thought it could be due to acid(which i have not had) and not to eat for a few days and that should sort it out?
Has anyone else had this feeling :?: :dunno:
julie x
angelwear
UKFM Member

Re: Problem swollowing?

Postby princess » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:09 pm

Nop sorry but someone will have had it , or be able to help you
princess
princess
UKFM Regular

Postby *Lisa* » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:54 pm

:wave:

Best thing to do is to speak with your GP as a precaution but yes i have trouble swallowing and food getting stuck.... always have the hiccups :roll:

My throat can get very tense so i wear a mouthguard at night to help it
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby shazq » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:59 pm

Yes my throat feels like it is closing sometimes.
Mine was always worse when i go to bed and lay down.
I did not have trouble swallowing food.
I did see my GP about it and at first he said i might have picked up a virus. As it kept happening i told him again. He has given me heartburn meds to try.

If you keep getting this is is best to let your GP know, as not everything is connected to fibro.

Hope you feel better soon. :hugs:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby Elsbeth » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:04 pm

Problems swallowing can be a sign on MS
Elsbeth
UKFM Member

Postby foggy » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:02 pm

Hi to all .

I too have had problems swallowing for over a year now, I offer sympathies to anyone who has this often quite scary symptom.

My swallowing problem is with anything- drinks, food,sometimes pills, and even my own saliva(when my mouth is empty). For me, it feels if its "gone down the wrong way", I then get a natural reaction to begin coughing, as it "feels" as if something maybe is stuck. Usually an hour or two later of intermittant coughing, I bring up what looks like almost solid phlegm(gross I know ! , but trying to give an honest account).

I am on a fair bit of medication but the only one near the others mentioned here would probably be omeprazole(for stomach acids) and I have taken that for five years.

When I first reported this to my GP it was thought best to treat it as just another symptom connected to muscle spasms I already had,( my first experience of interior spasms!) and not be too concerned, but to keep an eye on it. After a while I went back to see him and he referred me to more of a counseller type person as maybe it was stress related. I accepted this diagnosis and tried to eat slower, etc. However I have become really down by it at times, as it causes me nearly daily problems so now my GP has got me an appointment at the Fluoroscopy department of my local hospital to have an examination of my oesophagus(throat) that involves being seen on an X ray monitor after drinking a special liquid, I think its called a barium swallow test basically. As for any advice on how to deal with it, personally I try to be as relaxed as possible when eating and/or I just keep on coughing till it felt clear!!!!

Not much fun! I do hope this may help. Best wishes to you all.

Foggy.
foggy
UKFM Member

Postby angelwear » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:52 pm

hi foggy, thanks for the reply.
with my "episodes" i cant cough or move or do anything realy, i just have to try to stretch my throat and hope it passes "asap" as the pain is very bad. i also get it with drinks , soft foods anything infact.my doctor said there is no way it could be linked to to the fm? so dont know what to do realy.just had a phone call from a friend with fm and he has similar symptoms.
thanks again julie x :wave:
angelwear
UKFM Member

Postby foggy » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:57 am

Hiya Julie.

No problem whatsoever.

I know it sounds selfish, but I know it can be good to know there are other FM sufferers who have the same probs. Has your friend you mention had the barium test I mentioned? If so, was any light shed on it?

Maybe if it goes on and you can take no more, print off my reply to you and show it to your GP?

Good luck and all the best

Foggy
foggy
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems