Acid Reflux

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Acid Reflux

Postby shazq » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:48 pm

Hi
Last week at my GP`s i mentioned that i keep getting heartburn, it is happening every day, he has given me omeprazole to try.
It worked for a few days but now it seems to have stopped working for me.
I get it after i eat, it can be anything from a meal to a snack, just cant seem to get rid of it.

Anyone get this? Do you know of any other good meds to try.
I have tried gaviscon too, it helped until i ate again. :dunno:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Re: Acid Reflux

Postby *Lisa* » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:02 pm

Im always suffering this... Its cause i get so bloated :roll:

The tablets make me :crazy: so i just get on with it...

Peppermint tea is supposed to help but that gave me the farts!!! :shock:
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby shazq » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:09 pm

Hahaha @ Lisa.
I am a lady Lisa, we dont do farts..lol.

I remember after my last op the hospital gave me hot peppermint water to help release the wind..lol. :oops:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby LinzWorld » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:26 pm

Peppermint can actually worsen reflex...peppermint works on spasms by relaxing the smooth muscles in the GI tract, but doing this can make reflex worse. Fennel is useful for trapped wind and can help reflux too though.

Personally, I found that controlling my IBS helped with the reflux issues more than anything else.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Postby Harley » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:29 pm

I get this all the time and use a trick my grandad told me, sip a glass of Schwepps Indian Tonic water slowly and it usually works, I was told it's something to do with the quinine but I'm not sure if thats still in it?

He had stomach problems all his life and it was the only thing that would settle the acid. It always worked for my daughter when she was little aswell.

And no Lisa you dont put gin in it!!! :roll:
Harley
UKFM Member

Postby andy12720 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:26 pm

do you take the amprazole every day or when you need it. i am on amprazole for the same reasons but you need to take them everyday to work properly. i used to take them as and when but soon found they didnt have much effect. take one a day now and no problems.
andy12720
UKFM Member

Postby fragglerox » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:24 pm

Hi Shazq
I've had acid reflux for years and years, daily. The only thing that works for me is Ranitidine which I get on prescription and I take is twice daily. It's also called Zantac and can be bought at Tesco as an own brand of Ranitidine but it's at a smaller dose. You may get relief from the lower dose so try that first. I've found it very effective. Hope that helps.
fragglerox
UKFM Member

Postby tiredofmoaning » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:19 am

been suffering this problem for years on and of due to ulcers, the three things i swear by are drinking a cup of hot boiled water with one sugar. or warm boiled water with one spoon of bicarbonate soda, or the doctor gives me lansoprazole also very good but the other two things work faster. :wave:
tiredofmoaning
UKFM Member

Postby Brens » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:00 pm

Big time reflux,went on for months and used omeprazole quite successfully,and "Andrews" liver salts if needing quick relief in night, bit old fashioned and GP said not good to use long term!
He did suggest cutting really low on fats especially at last meal and I can say with great joy I have never had it since.He also mentioned the old chesnut 'lose weight' which cutting the fats from one meal helped with, 3 stone in 11months....yippeeeeeeeeeeee
Ever hopeful !
Brens
UKFM Member

Postby Hedgewitch » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:32 pm

I take a drug called Nexium, I tried omaprazol but it didn't work for me. I've need treated for reflux since I was 18 but turns out I now have a hernia! Sleeping propped up and not wearing a bra are two things that also eem to help. Xxxxx
'to thine own self be true'
Hedgewitch
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:01 pm

Thanks for all your replies. :hugs:

I do take omaprazol every morning.
Hope to go shopping tomorrow if i have the energy.
Thanks. :wave:
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby lullabybunny1 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:01 am

Well, i get terrible acid reflux when wearing a bra or at night, when lying down. It eases when i lie on the left side, i also suck on liquroirce, real stuff not the chewy sweets
lullabybunny1
UKFM Member

Postby Fibrodee » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:21 am

I suffer too with terrible heartburn and I take omeprazole as I take aspirin daily. I do not find omeprazole very effective, however I have discovered gaviscon double action tablets...they work in minutes..

Give em a try....I am not a pharmaceutical rep I promise. :D

Dee
Fibrodee
UKFM Member

Postby gillshutt » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:01 am

Are they the things that froth up in your mouth Dee :yikes: I only tried one once and was nearly sick, I had to spit it all out :? Not from the taste but from the sensation, I felt like I was being choked!
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Postby Fibrodee » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:50 am

gillshutt wrote:Are they the things that froth up in your mouth Dee :yikes: I only tried one once and was nearly sick, I had to spit it all out :? Not from the taste but from the sensation, I felt like I was being choked!

Yes I think they might be the ones Gill. They are a little gross, but because they work so fast I put up with that sensation. They are a pink and white tablet, taste a little like chalk. YUK!

If youcan try it again, hold your nose and the drink plenty of water. Might help!

Good luck :D

Dee
Fibrodee
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems